Moving to Dayton area, questions about Ohio boat regrestration

Hello all. I have accepted a position in Fairborn, OH and will be moving up there before the end of the year.
    I will be fishing many local debys and BFL so look for me! Also, any advice on where to fish and some tips would be greatly appreciated.

So in TN, all we need is a registration card and we can title a boat. What all is needed in OH? All I have is my TN registration card, the bill of sale when I bought it, and the title on the trailer. I would like to begin fishing not long after I get up there so I want to start getting all this is order. Thank you
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Just go to the Ohio DNR site and look up registration or contact them. Tells you all you need to know. Ask 20 people here and you will get 10 different answers.... welcome to Ohio. Land of 12 inch bass and take a number and get in line to fish a point state..

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Where yah working in Fairborn? WPAFB maybe?

4. Member
    will not be fishing here much until late march-early april now- i work in fairborn 2 times a week and live next city up- you are going to miss TENN!!!

tournaments not derbys!!! bfl on ohio river mostly, not fun and 1.5 hr long drive each way

i would think you can use whatever worked in tenn for 3-6 months here before you have to change it??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    you are going to miss TENN!!!

I am sorry you have to move up here..... but Lake Erie is only 2hr 45min north of Fairborn!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

you have to have a title for your boat and one for your motor. Maybe trailer too?

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Pretty sure you only need a trailer weight slip to get plates for trailer. I ran into that last year.
    Find a gravel/mulch co that will let you drive your boat/trailer onto their scale, then deduct weight of boat for trailer weight on the slip.
    If your trailer title has the weight on it, you should be good tho.

Boat and Motor are titled, Trailer is Bill of Sale..

Then your watercraft registration...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Pretty sure you only need a trailer weight slip to get plates for trailer. I ran into that last year.
    Find a gravel/mulch co that will let you drive your boat/trailer onto their scale, then deduct weight of boat for trailer weight on the slip.
    If your trailer title has the weight on it, you should be good tho.
    The paperwork typically used for trailers is the MSO, manufacturer’s statement of origin, and it does list an official weight for the trailer. The MSO should always be kept, and does not need to be signed over when the trailer changes hands, as it is good forever to show at registration time.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Welcome to the area, i have a house up in fb and dont live to far away. Your in for some fish shock, but it can be good sometimes. Theres lots of places to go to!
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

12. Member
    Hey and welcome to THE Buckeye state.

Now don't listen to these amateurs.. Kidding gentlemen... But in all fairness, the fishing in Ohio in my opinion is on the upswing. You have plenty of options living mid western side of the state.

Lake breakdown:
    1.) Lake Erie - This isn't just the land of smallmouth. Quality largemouth can be and have been caught in a lot of the harbor areas.
    2.) Mosquito lake - 2nd largest lake contained only in Ohio. One of my favorites and not because I've won here. This lake has a nice population of 3 to 4 lb bass and its not uncommon to pull a 6 plus.
    3.) Portage Chain - Simply a fun clear water chain of lakes to fish. The downside is no wake lake. I have seen multiple 5 and 6 lb fish pulled from these ponds in one outing.
    4.) Caesar's Creek - I am going to get grilled here. But I have caught loads of quality fish from here. The downside is it is one the most overcrowded lakes.
    5.) Alum - I have had decent fishing here. But not a lot of experience on it. The little I have fished I have thoroughly enjoyed. I think some of the best off shore fishing.
    6.) Indian - if you like shallow water and vegetation and docks.. Go here.
    7.) Rocky - A nice blend of fishing. Vegetation, rocks and wake waves. It is also a very crowded lake. But the fishing is pretty good here as well.
    8.) Pymatuning - Some say some of the best smallmouth fishing in Ohio... beside Erie obviously. No experience here yet.. I really want to try this one.

Loads more... but that is a small run down of the fishing here that I have either had to pleasure to do or heard about. As far as the change from Tennessee... Yeah it will be different mostly due to lake size.

Tips:
    It varies lake to lake really. Learn to love a jig and your plastics if you want a consistent fish filled livewell.

Tournaments: You have your pick here. Lots of different options and keep an eye on these forums. Plenty to pick from. Some found up in the sticky section as well.
    Ohio BASS Nation
    BFL
    TBX
    etc..
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    2004 150 HP Mercury EFI