Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We have a opening at my company for a Tool & die maker.

We are currently looking for a experienced tool and die maker to work on build and maintain progressive die's. Our company is located in spring grove IL.
    if any one is interested send me a p.m and we'll talk.

If were slow I'll let you leave and go fishing when ever you want.(unpaid of course)

FULL OR PART TIME.
    Thank's Jason.
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 12-05-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Good luck. Nice of you to post it here
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Good luck. Nice of you to post it here
    Maybe I'll get a new fishing buddy as well.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

4. Member
    No where near you, but just wondering what pay us in your area. And do you mean a real toolmaker or a button pusher?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdwelding View Post
    No where near you, but just wondering what pay us in your area. And do you mean a real toolmaker or a button pusher?
    No a real tool maker that can grind forms and all the good stuff there is no buttons to push on our equipment. Pay depends how good you are in my area usually around $25-30+ per hour.
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 12-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

6. Member
    good luck with your search, I would love to move there for the great smallmouth fishing but my days of that are long behind me,, I moved into a QC position years ago but I still love the smell of cutting oil,, lol,,its seems though it became very hard to find anyone decent , I interview people that never even picked up a vernier that applied for a job,,very sad
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I hope it isn't a dying breed it is a valuable skill and one I worked at when I was way younger but glad I learned it.

Good luck. Real Machinist in my area are few and far between. In a way thats fine with me because I can basicly write my own check and work at pretty much any Machine shop I choose. I do thank God for giving me a skill that has allowed me to make a good living for the last 30 years as a machinist (not a button pusher) although I can do that too I just prefer the manual equipment
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

9. Member
    Interesting, I have 42 yrs.experience as a Tool & Die Maker. 17 yrs. shop supervisor.Designed ,built and repaired lots of dies, progressive, form deep draw, blank, blank and pierce. Weld fixtures, robotic and manual. All in job shops. Yes, we are a dying breed. Not many left, and very few to take our place.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    Interesting, I have 42 yrs.experience as a Tool & Die Maker. 17 yrs. shop supervisor.Designed ,built and repaired lots of dies, progressive, form deep draw, blank, blank and pierce. Weld fixtures, robotic and manual. All in job shops. Yes, we are a dying breed. Not many left, and very few to take our place.
    Your the kind of guy I'm looking for.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

11. Member
    Where is Spring Grove ? What type of part are your dies producing ?

12. Member
    Spring grove is in northeast mcHenry county about 10 minutes west of fox lake or the chain o lakes.
    we run Progressive stamping dies. mostly we make terminal connectors.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

13. Member
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I hope it isn't a dying breed it is a valuable skill and one I worked at when I was way younger but glad I learned it.
    Unfortunately they are all dying. Why would a young kid put in the time to become a machinist when he could go the route of a union trade. The pay and pension is much better with union trades. I work as industrial electrician and make about $8 less an hour compared to the local rate for a union electrician and I have to know a lot more and do everything they can do as well. Looking back it was a dumb decision to go the route I did. The pay and pension is much better on the other side. The pay isn’t keeping up plain and simple so you will continue to see a decline in qualified individuals.
    Last edited by cneubass79; 12-06-2017 at 08:32 AM.

I am also a Machinist/Tool and Die Maker. Progressive Tool Maker is my specialty, but I am disabled now and can no longer do this type of work.
    Manual machining is dying breed, and any industrial type of work in this country. Pass your knowledge down on to others whenever possible.

I wish you luck in your search for talent.

25 year diesel mechanic, been on the road the last 15 of them. We're dying out like most other skilled trades. Pay hasn't kept up, and if you're particularly good you get passed over for promotion because "you're too valuable and hard to replace" which translates into morons that know nothing of what we do running things. It flat out sucks the last 10 years or so. This country has been shitting on the trades for decades by steering the talent toward higher education and pushing the underachievers and slackers into trade school. And people wonder why they can't even get a tire fixed right the first time.

Those of us who have kids all have done everything in our power to push them away from this life. My experience is the people telling kids to "go learn a trade" usually aren't in the trades themselves
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    Every skilled trade is a dying breed in this country. There are still a few good ones being produced though. You would be surprised at the number of people that claim to be a welder. An old timer I welded with that taught me a lot told me about getting a job one time. He said the boss asked him when he got there "are you a welder or a rod burner?" He thought rod burner meant a fast welder so he told the guy he was a rod burner. The guy told him he didn't need rod burners, he needed welders. So now we use the same thing when talking about welders. I'm sure it's the same with a lot of trades.

18. Member
    Were seeing the same thing in the autobody repair industry. Not many people willing to do the work. Im 35 and still one of the youngest i know of doing it around here. There are a few younger guys that can hack one back together or swap parts but very few that actually know how to do it right. Had a young man from the local high school that walks by the shop everyday to school stop by and ask for a job awhile back and i hated that we didnt have one to give him. Anything that requires more than pushing a pencil or typing on a keyboard is just about dead and gone. Im not sure ill push my son toward this life like my dad did to me though, it certainly takes a toll on your body
    They aint got hands, set the hook

19. Member
    You guy are starting to worry my.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    You guy are starting to worry my.
    You should be worried, there isn't many Tool Makers left. The so called designers now days are pathetic , they know how to run a computer and that's about it, I have had prints that had plus or minus .0005 on hole diameters that had pins .020 smaller than the hole being WELDED into it. Manufacturing is in a very sad state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast