Thread: 2002 929CDX

2002 929CDX

I have a chance to buy a hardly used 2002 929CDX in mint condition. Do any of you nitro guys remember anything to look for/watch out for on these boats?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

2. Member
    I owned a 2006 and it never gave me any trouble. Big, heavy....stable fishing platform with tons of storage. Mine had a 225 Pro-XS on it with a 25P Tempest Plus prop and would run 66-69 all day long.

3. Member
    Thanks flippin,

This one has a 200 Opti with less than 80 hours, the whole rig is in mint condition. The old guy just never used it and he keeps everything he owns mint. I've seen the computer print out and most of the 80 hours was at 3000 rpm or less moving around graphing structure. I read the 200 would be under powered, but I have practiced for tournaments twice out of this boat as a co-angler and saw 67 mph on GPS both times. That's two guys, gear, and full gas tank, empty livewell. That's plenty fast for what I do these days, I'm looking for comfortable ride at this point in my life with the tourneys I fish. To give you an idea, this boat has original trailer tires that still look new. It spent most of its life covered on a boat hoist at the guys house, he just worked too much. I know it won't have the hole shot I'm used to (Stratos 294 200 Etec).

I've read some of these had trailer problems, did not know if anyone had input about these issues?
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

4. Member
    yes the older ones had major trailer rusting problems and cracking i hear. also price will drive this and no matter how clean and nice it is its still a 15 year old boat and age is age. run a NADA on it and no matter what its a $10-$12K boat at best but thats just my 2 cents.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

5. Member
    That's the ball park were talking price wise. I'm not worried about resale anyway, I'm more of a recreation guy now vs. tournament guy. This just lets me scratch the itch every once in a while in a very comfortable riding boat as I get older.
    Last edited by flukeman; 12-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

6. Member
    i know a guy in my area who sold his 01 901CDX this past spring that was clean with newer electronics, 200 Opti with 250 hours, tandem trailer, fortrex, hot-foot, pro-trim for $10K and thats here in CA. yes its a a bit smaller but still was priced fair.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

7. Member
    My 2006 had the Galavshield trailer and it never gave me any issues. I did replace all the bushings in the suspension and switched to the Dexter EZ Flex equalizer system, which made the trailer allot quieter and smoother. 67 MPH from a 200 Opti on that boat is impressive!!!! If you wind up buying it....make sure we get a few pics!!! Good luck!

I have a 2004 with a 250 Pro XS, 36 volt TM, etc. Original trailer that is spotless. It has always been garaged & covered. Probably (to me anyway) one of the best riding boats still around, comfortable & plenty of room for storage. If you've been in this boat several times, you don't need to ask what they're like, you should know. 67mph is very, very strong for this boat with a 200. And this is on GPS? Like to know the setup. Hell, I need to sell my 250 & get a 200. Anyway, as you should know, it's a nice boat, bar none. Price wise....It's only worth what you're willing to pay. $15K wouldn't touch mine but It has everything you can put in it from HDS's to Mercury monitor. Just put new Goodyear Endurance (4) with new Kodiak disc brakes. If that one has the original tires, I would definitely change those. Hours don't necessarily mean how good the motor condition is, it's how it has been maintained. Sounds like you know this guy pretty well so you should know what you're getting ( or not). As posted earlier, Pics please. A post about buying a boat is worthless without pics. Good luck with the purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tracer1; 12-07-2017 at 07:47 AM.

9. Member
    Thanks for input guys. I've ridden in the boat 4 or 5 times over the years. Those speeds were GPS but no water in the live wells. I would have to ask my buddy how it's set up. The only thing I could tell you about that is the fact it has one of those hydro foil things on the motor. Speed does not really matter to me these days.I won't have pics till spring, it was taken to dealer and winterized and stored for our hard water. It is the same color scheme as Tracer 1's boat.

The only reason I ask is because when it's not your boat you really don't follow what's going on with the brand. The second reason is because this boat has seen nothing but limited and very baby'd life. So it's mint and not stressed enough to have issues show up.

Just making sure I know what I'm dealing with.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

10. Member
    Not a 929 but from the same series. I bought a 2002 901cxd this past feb. I have been nothing but pleased with my purchase. I didnt know the owner but took a chance as i thought it was too good to pass up. The only thing that I was worried about was the trailer, as there was some rusting right down middle of crossbars. As far as the boat im very pleased, great lay out and good ride. The thing i like most about it is the wideness and the storage. The only problem I have had with it is the livewells, ive had a few fish die or almost die and cant seem to figure out why. As for with anything, you get some good ones and some bad ones, but im happy with my Nitro.

11. Member
    In my livewell on my '01 896, I installed an oxygenator. With the blue water additive cabelas sells I have never had a tournament fish even come close to dying on me. As far as my trailer, it took a while to get used to loading. Too much weight rests on the bow roller. It is very picky on how deep or shallow you back the trailer in vs slope of the ramp. Too deep and you don't pop it up to get up on the bow roller (will try to nose under it). Too shallow and you won't be able to get to the bow roller. I am used to it now but still hate it. One weak point is the gel coat. Even after regular cleaning and waxing it hazed over and needs restoration (buffing multi step kit or wet sanding).

12. Member
    Had a 2001 929 CDX DC / 225 opti. 65-66 with tourney load. Hyd. jack plate, 25 tempest. Bought it 2004, trailer replaced in 2006 rusted out, but I fish a lot of brackish water. The boat was my uncles in MI, so it never was used much and did have rust when I bought it.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

13. Member
    Thanks for the input guys,

I'm definitely getting it, I know how my buddy takes care of things, it's spotless, and the price is right. I'm not worried about resale, I'll be keeping this till I or it falls apart. The first thing I'm going to do is get new tires. Speed is not my thing anymore, it's all about comfort!
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

14. Member
    Could you send me info on that, my trailer is loud