Looking at a 2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD but with a 3.08 rear end

Any one tow with one and any issues? Have a 20' Skeeter in Eastern OK (not real hilly). Boat/motor load probably around 3-4 thousand lbs to pull. I have never had a Chevy with that rear end.

2. Member
    My 14 Silverado was a 3.08 six speed and I pulled a Cougar with it. It WILL do it. You will know it's back there! IMO the REAL issue is GM's transmission programming. It isn't the towing that's the issue. It's when you aren't towing. You either have to drive it like you stole it, or you feel like you may get there sometime tomorrow. That combo is fantastic at open road cruising about 80 MPH. That puts everything right in the power band. The 3.42 with the six speed or 3.73 with the 4 speed is a MUCH better overall ratio. Of course 3.73 with the six speed is the cats meow but I doubt it's even available. Mind you the Burb has a weight penalty over my old crew cab Silverado. I was comparing the overall MPG with another member here that bough his Silverado the same month and drove about the same amount. We both drove a bunch. We were both averaging 17 MPG overall with the new 5.3. He had the 3.42 rear end and I had the 3.08. I'll never own another. Again, it WILL pull your boat no problem!

I bet a 20' Skeeter with a 225 and a tandem trailer weigh close to 4500 pounds rolling with your gear and fuel.

Only max tow package got 3.42’s didn’t they?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

I have the 3.08s in my gmc sierra 1500 crewcab. It tows everything i need to fine i always use tow haul mode. The 4 speed of that era isnt as good as the later model 6 speed there is a big gap between first and second. You have to do 60 plus mph in tow haul to get it to fall into overdrive tho. 3.23 or 3.42 would probly be better overall but i like the mileage with the 3.08s when not towing.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Only max tow package got 3.42’s didn’t they?
    I think with the 6.2L. It gets 3.73s with the 5.3L.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    My 2008 Avalanche was a 5.3 4 speed with 3.73. When GM went to the 6 speed the 3.73 got tough to find. IMO The 3.42 was the gear for most to get. I know I wish I'd have listened to my gut and bought the truck with it. Unlike the 4 speed, the six speed has no direct drive ratio. Both 5th and 6th are over drives for more mpg. Couple that with a transmission program to get there quick and the vehicles become dogs without a tuner.

Mind you I stepped out of the Avy and Silverado into a 5.7L Tundra with 4.30 gears and I've owned GM 5.7 with 4.10 gears.

Any modern truck, even the V-6's will tow our bass boats! The OP asked about the biggest SUV that holds six adults easily plus luggage. You load that thing down with all that then expect it to have any kind of performance with 3.08 gearing you're just kidding yourself. The 5.3 gained decent performance in 14, that's the one I had with the 3.08.

7. Member
    I went with a 3.42. A little older but better for towing. Thanks for your comments.