G2 inlet screens

How do you remove the inlet screen to get to the lube drain screw?
    Pool 10

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remove the screw holding the lower inlet screen on the nose of the case and then you can access the drain screw. Make sure you replace the seal when done.
    https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...change-7770759

3. Member
    Thanks championman, found it and got it changed. I know evinrude recommends changing at 5 years but it sure looked pretty dirty with only 80 hours.
    Pool 10

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not being a smart ass but when was the last time you changed the rear end fluid in your tow vehicle? We check outboards because they are submerged an if their seals are compromised, the result is water intrusion. I would imagine the first replacement would show some use on it. Any shavings or burned smell?

5. Member
    Good point with the comparison! No shavings or burnt smell, everything looks good. Just a little surprised at how dirty it was at 80 hours, especially since half of them were probably off plane.
    Pool 10

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not being a smart ass but when was the last time you changed the rear end fluid in your tow vehicle? We check outboards because they are submerged an if their seals are compromised, the result is water intrusion. I would imagine the first replacement would show some use on it. Any shavings or burned smell?
    Car rear end doesn't have 1100* exhaust dumping on top of their gears. Luckily the gearcase is water cooled but it still runs much hoter.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Car rear end doesn't have 1100* exhaust dumping on top of their gears. Luckily the gearcase is water cooled but it still runs much hoter.
    Yeah it was a poor analogy, I was really referring to the discoloration and meaning most folks never check or replace their differentials. If you did there would certainly be discoloration. Seeing the OP didn't post up a picture of what he was seeing it was a general comment.

The exhaust does not "dump" on top of the gears. It is surrounded by wall of water as it travels down from the powerhead to the prophub inside a separate exhaust chamber which has cooling water sprayed into it also. The exhaust goes through the cavity in the gearcase behind the gears and oil. The gears and oil are also submerged which transfers heat from the gearhousing into the surrounding water.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The exhaust does not "dump" on top of the gears. It is surrounded by wall of water as it travels down from the powerhead to the prophub inside a separate exhaust chamber which has cooling water sprayed into it also. The exhaust goes through the cavity in the gearcase behind the gears and oil. The gears and oil are also submerged which transfers heat from the gearhousing into the surrounding water.
    I just had this explained to me last Friday by a G2-trained Tech. Pretty cool engineering, and an even better explanation here by Seahorse.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio