2011 Ranger Trail trailer brake question

I read through the posted articles, but have not found an answer.... Our Ranger trail trailer ( for a 2011 188VX), single axle with surge brakes. Coming through town... we got flagged down by a motorist saying our brakes were smoking badly. By the time we got pulled over... they were indeed very hot. We had been in a lot of stop and go traffic <30 mph for several miles. We could not figure it out... so we rounded up some nuts ( like nuts and bolts, not like pecans :))... and blocked the actuator from sliding... and then put some black gorilla tape over the nuts to hold them in place ( luckily.. trailer is black too).... So basically the brakes are disabled.
    Was that normal for the trailer in stop and go traffic? Are there any adjustments that can be made? Thanks, Marty

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Wouldn't be normal. It's not uncommon for calipers to get rusty and stick or for a flex hose to get kinked and act as a check valve.

Was this on both wheels, and did locking the actuator stop them from overheating?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    both were pretty warm. by the time we stopped... we didn't see any smoke, but could smell brake pad. We locked the actuator.... and then we got on more open road.... with less stopping and up to 65 mph, etc.... I think my winter project will be overhauling the brakes.... assuming the brake mechanism is pretty much like a car?

Perhaps this is unlikely, but if you stopped in that slow traffic and then only very slowly accelerated, the actuator might not have been fully pulled out of the tongue (if that's the correct terminology) and the brakes were dragging. It's like having to put the brakes on when going downhill. When you do let off the brakes, it's best to accelerate sharply so that the actuator is pulled out and the brakes don't drag.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Jeff.... that could have been the issue... and that's a great point. I think I will pull the wheels and see how things look... and unlock the actuator and try it locally.... and see what happens. THANKS

Be sure to spin the wheels by hand while you have it jacked up.. You will know real quick if they are not releasing..

7. Member
    another great point FnF... THANKS