Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you're doing everything you're supposed to- and you're fining big loose chunks of carbon in the exhaust, there is a problem that you're not aware of. Often revealed in an Air/Fuel Pressure Test (and pressure leakdown test).
    Pressure too high on one or both?

2. Member
    i blew my head gasket in some hydrilla, it over heated, my Yamaha was twelve years old. When I replaced the head gaskets the pistons and walls looked brand new, not a speck of carbon. I bought the motor new and used Amsoil since it was 4 months old. It's fake oil so no carbon buildup. Been using it since the day I got my 225 Mercury. Six years later no problems. I can't believe people still use the old oil when the synthetic is so much better. I use Amsoil in my trucks, boat and yard equipment for the last 26 years with zero problems. Don't change, it's good for the economy.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Pressure too high on one or both?
    Air leak, fuel leak, or high pressures on either. Good idea to record precise results for each of the following:

-At idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5 Seconds after shutdown *
    -10 Seconds after shutdown *
    -15 Seconds after shutdown *

* Acceptable to restart engine for each of these tests.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Air leak, fuel leak, or high pressures on either. Good idea to record precise results for each of the following:

-At idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5 Seconds after shutdown *
    -10 Seconds after shutdown *
    -15 Seconds after shutdown *

* Acceptable to restart engine for each of these tests.
    I'll take it to my local dealer in the spring for a pressure test.
    There was literally 1/8" or more of carbon buildup in the upper part of the tuner, again, with only about 20 hours on it. Runs good otherwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12