Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did You Know 50%?

I get a lot of questions about updating the Navionics cards. Only about 50% of anglers actually register and update their cards. That's like using old fishing line that needs updating. I update my cards at least once a month to ensure that I have the freshest data on the lakes that we fish.
    It is super easy and very necessary to have the most current map of the lake.
    Here is where you go: https://navionics.secure.force.com/k...date-Your-Chip

Did you know that 87% of statistics are made up?

Good reminder to update navionics...
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

3. Banned
    I've updated my maps to the point the entire lake bottom is solid black contour lines. I can see doing it once, maybe.

The places I fish dont change (no tides or fast moving water) so I never update as the contour lines arent changing, so I dont see the need. Also, my cards are working great with no issues

What else could I be missing out on by not updating? Just curious, thanks.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Moderator
    I'm do for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    The places I fish dont change (no tides or fast moving water) so I never update as the contour lines arent changing, so I dont see the need. Also, my cards are working great with no issues

What else could I be missing out on by not updating? Just curious, thanks.
    If you have the Sonar Charts map layer downloaded, that can change as sonar logs are added to update areas that are not accurate/missing. That is the whole purpose of the Sonar Charts program.

At a minimum you should check the Navionics Web App to see if there are any changes. The App is updated daily, world-wide about 2,000 updates are done daily.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you have the Sonar Charts map layer downloaded, that can change as sonar logs are added to update areas that are not accurate/missing. That is the whole purpose of the Sonar Charts program.

At a minimum you should check the Navionics Web App to see if there are any changes. The App is updated daily, world-wide about 2,000 updates are done daily.
    Thank you. Already use the web app, and will be keeping an eye on it for updates to areas that arent covered well already that I will use. But if nothing that applies to the areas I fish is updated, no need to update.

Anything else?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Before my free updates expire ill be loading everything on that card that I can fit.
    Colorado State University Bass Team

2000 Viper Cobra 201D, 200 merc efi

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I never knew you could update map cards. Not sure I have a reason to, as nothing changes on the lakes I fish. Although some creeks have started to silt in a bit.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I did know and it's pretty cool, however; I buy my cards used on ebay etc for cheap and they all have been past the point of free updates.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

11. Banned

Total over kill, and probably just slows performance. You realize you're saying the original map wasn't accurate, as produced, since everyone and their brother is now adding to it.

12. Member
    Why aren't the updates free, it's the on the water anglers giving you the info.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    Total over kill, and probably just slows performance. You realize you're saying the original map wasn't accurate, as produced, since everyone and their brother is now adding to it.
    Updating your card will not slow your unit. You really aren't adding much data to the card, the card is just getting updated with the newest information, which may just be slight changes to maps. Today's units are by and large more than powerful enough to run a full Navionics card without issue.

The original maps were not inaccurate, but since we are dealing with constantly changing bottom contours and shorelines due to hurricanes, floods, sedimentation or other factors, SonarChart data is what allows Navionics to remain a source for the most up to date mapping data.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    When you purchase a Navionics card and register it, you do get a full year of free daily updates.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    This is the original Navionics Nautical Chart for this lake:

This is what the Sonar Chart map layer looks like after I recorded and uploaded sonar logs with my equipment:

Notice any difference or over kill?

No one but Navionics adds to their Nautical Charts maps.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Sonar Charts is free, your purchase is for Navionics Nautical Charts.
    Navionics does about 2000 updates to their maps daily "somewhere".

Nautical Charts and Sonar Charts are different. Sonar Charts is only processed sonar logs by unit users. It is a FREE service to share map data where there is none, incomplete, less detail, or inaccurate.

This is a new 520 acre lake that someone has started providing data for with the Sonar Charts program. The lake was opened to fishing on July 1 2017, I fished it that day. Navionics will probably never survey there to have a Nautical Chart map. A couple of months ago there wasn't even a shore line on Navionics base map. I noticed the new shoreline by looking at the Web App and updated my mobile app to match it. Later I updated one of my Navionics+ cards to have that data also.
    The pictured contours were added a couple of weeks later and I updated by Mobile App to this:

I probably will not add data to this location since I had already started doing private contour mapping with Auto Chart Live before there was a lake outline by anyone.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    just did mine last night as my one year expires in early 2018. what is the cost for another year of updates? it asks me if I want to do it but never list the pricing?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    just did mine last night as my one year expires in early 2018. what is the cost for another year of updates? it asks me if I want to do it but never list the pricing?
    $99 for renewing your Freshest Data Subscription or purchasing a Navionics Update Card that will become Navionics+ when activated by a map card from any company you have.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Banned
    S
    Navionics does about 2000 updates to their maps daily "somewhere".
    you mean navionics users right?
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 12-08-2017 at 08:12 AM.

That's like using old fishing line that needs updating.
    I regularly update my fishing line.

I've got some spools of stren dating from the 70's. By merely downloading the latest updates it remains strong, soft and supple. Just like new.

I think I'm on version 19.78

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast