I don't normally do this

But guys I've been in dark place. I was saved about 5years ago. But due to some circumstances I've fallen. Honestly questioning my faith at times. I have tried to talk to elders at church and feel some have turned their back on me. I find myself questioning why my family has the problems it does why he allows some crack head to have children at will and takes the opportunity from good loving people. Why does he take someone great from the earth and leave evil people. I have prayed and prayed but I don't feel the lift I used to. The last 2 years of my life have been a nightmare. With no relief in sight. I don't have the fire I once did. I could pick up my bible and get lost in the word. But now I can't a passage to save my life.

Is this normal? This not what I normally would put on line in a open forum but I desperately need some guidance.

Hang in there brother. God never promised things would be easy, what he does promise is that He will be there with you all the time regardless of the circumstances. And to answer your question, yes it is very normal. There are many times we don't see how He is working but He always is. Many times you won't realize that for many years but one day you will see it. With that said, at 54, I still catch myself doubting at times and I can only think "Lord I believe, help my unbelief". Keep praying, stay in the word, you may not "feel the lift" but trust that it is there.

Proverbs 3:5-6
    5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future

Isaiah 41:10
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

3. Member
    I'm going to pray for you brother. That's about the best I have to offer right now.

I'm sure people who know more than I do will be along shortly who can do a better job of answering your questions.

I will say that I suspect it is somewhat normal, because it has happened to me from time to time. Maybe not as hard as it seems to have hit you, but I have wondered "why" things happen. On the other hand, I have also wondered why I was so blessed.

Remember this. God loves you. He is always there for you.

Edited to add: My go to scripture when things get tough.

Matthew 11:28-30

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

And an antidote. A few years ago, I was going through a rough period in my life. I had lost my job, bills were piling up. I was delivering newspapers every night, seven days a week. The only work I could find. There was no end in sight. I was really down. My wife, Misty tried to help, but I took the burden on myself.

Then one night, as we drove our paper route, I noticed sign in front of a church we passed every night. It simply said, "Don't Worry...Trust God!" I'm convinced that message was aimed at me, and it stayed up there for months. Right through winter, the spring and into the summer. I made sure to see it, and believe it every night. You see, I needed that reinforcement every night. During the day, I could feel my faith start to slip. I needed that nightly reinforcement that God hadn't forgotten me.

Late that summer, we got the opportunity to move back to Richmond, where I had lived most of my life. To make the long story short, we moved, I got a new job, and the Lord has blessed us more every day. And it's an every day thing. I have to remember to thank God every day, and ask Him to help me get through today. Just one day at a time.

Oh, before I left, I made a point to stop by the church one Sunday as they were letting out. I found the pastor and thanked him for that sign. It said it was good to know that someone got something out of it.
    Last edited by CajunBass; 12-05-2017 at 07:08 AM.

4. Member
    Philippians 4:7 may also help. We can't understand God's reasons sometimes because we are not God, we are only created in his image. Something I heard a while back and believe it to be true, if you are born again is to sing Amazing Grace (out loud or in your head). In doing this it seems to really push out impure thoughts that creep in. Get back in the Word and make it a habit, then you'll find yourself wanting more and more as you once did. Prayers for you and your family. Feel free to message anytime.

5. Member
    I struggled with that same thing for a long time. I questioned what had I done that I deserved the life I had. It seemed that every time I got ahead or was gaining on defeating my problems something would set me back. Telling this to a friend one day he told me, you are being refined like silver and gold. I didn't understand at the time but I have finally come to understand, The trials we go through are our strengthening of our love for God. The closer you draw to Him the more evil tries to pull you away. Put your faith in God and know He is there for you and will deliver you from everything. It may not be in our time or design but it will be for our good.
    Psalm 66:10-12New Living Translation (NLT)

10 You have tested us, O God;
    you have purified us like silver.
    11 You captured us in your net
    and laid the burden of slavery on our backs.
    12 Then you put a leader over us.[a]
    We went through fire and flood,
    but you brought us to a place of great abundance.

I have an uncle and every time I see him he tells me, If you wouldn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. He's my reminder that I'm being refined.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

6. Member
    In the Matthew 11 quote above, who wants to be yoked? The world certainly doesn't. But in this case its a double yoke. The other side of the yoke* (God) does all the heavy pulling. Indeed, "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." How heavy is the load God pulls? "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Ps 103:12 What a great load removed from our shoulders.

One reason Christ became fully human was to experience, know, and conquer all our pain. The ultimate pain is death. Christ turns that around. Death becomes a victory by entrance into heaven. Christ knew spiritual death (hell) in our place. Christ knew loneliness. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" The ultimate loneliness (abandonment from God/hell) Christ suffered for us. Hell now has nothing to do with us.

True enough, we suffer many things, go thru (not around) great tribulations. Christ said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." Jn 16:33b

*yoke: doesn't mean much in the modern industrialized world. In earlier times the yoke was the wood bar attached to draft animals to pull the load.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 12-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.

7. Member
    Another attribute of God: faithfullness.

You can run from God at the greatest spiritual pace possible, for years, decades. As soon as you turn--there He is. God is faithful even when we are not. Running from God for decades is not recommended. We don't know when our time of grace is ended. We can experience fellowship with God now, not decades from now. "Lo I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Mt 28:20b

8. Member
    still more--
    "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will...hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." Mic 7:18-19

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I think we've all been there to varying degrees, at one time or another... and sadly, those times are often during the Advent season.

Lifting you in prayer, friend.

2 Corinthians 12:9
    Who controls John Gill?

10. Member
    I have served Christ my entire life except a brief period that I backslid, I to struggle and question WHY?
    God is never failing and I have come to understand and accept it is God's world not mine.
    I look back to and realize that the only time I was lost was when I turned my back on the Lord. I could not see the times HE lifted me up in spite of my disobedience and lack of faith, yes it is hard to keep focused but He never said it would be easy but that He would be there and see us through.
    Christ reigns and and even He questioned things " Why have you forsaken me" only to realize that God never forsakes us.
    The worst time of my life has been caused by me, lack of faith, fear, lack of understanding, when things get real bad think of how Christ must have felt when he was hanging on the CROSS for ungrateful sinners, people that spit on him as he bled and died.

11. Member
    Praying for you, brother.

12. Member
    The worst time of my life has been caused by me, lack of faith, fear, lack of understandingG

Well put Funston...

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

We went through a very tough 2 years about 17 years ago. I would often just pick up my New Testament and randomly open it and randomly pick a verse. I was always astounded at how that verse would relate to our situation and offer hope. If you can't read more, try this random page, random verse method. Perhaps this "random" method is not really so random, after all and guide by His hand.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    It's a journey and a relationship. Both have their ups and downs just like life and other relationships. sd hit the nail on the head. There is no promise of an easy life just because of your beliefs. There was a promise of never abandoning you though, so just keep that in the mind.

I taught youth, and I explained it by drawing one hand down in a straight line and the other curving in and out toward and away from the hand going straight down. I explained the straight hand was God. The curving one is us and our relationship with him. Sometimes we are very close, some times we are far away, but He never moves, never waivers. What you are experiencing is completely normal. The concepts of God and Jesus are sometimes hard for us to completely wrap our heads around, and that is when we need our heart and faith to bring us back. Hang in their Buddy.

15. Member
    Just remember Jesus Christ payed the ultimate price for everyone and he won’t put anything you can’t handle on you and your family that you can’t handle without your faith. Being a Christian isn’t always easy satin can and will do anything to get you down. Never give up. Praying for you and your family

16. Member
    We all fall because we are broken fallible human beings. If you did not question your faith, there would be nothing to question. My family and yours have problems because we are fallen people living in a fallen world. We are all born with this "corruption" that entered the world when Adam and Eve sinned and disobeyed God. The first Adam fell and the second Adam paid the price so that His imputed righteousness could be placed within us. God does not remember our sin but that does not mean that we don't sin and live in a world of sin. Jesus said that we would have tribulation (trouble) in this world but that we should be of good cheer because He has overcome this world. The reality...this world and we are messed up. If you evaluate your current circumstances, what is God trying to show you about you? Circumstances are the language God often uses to reveal to us what He knows that we have thus far refused to see. All this being said, you may be depressed. Depression is an illness that we often refuse to acknowledge and its cause can be physiological...and can be treated. We don't think correctly, we lose hope, and darkness seems to rule the day. Many of the people used in the Bible, great Christian leaders throughout the centuries struggled with "The Dark Night of the Soul". If you have "fallen" into some sin pattern and perhaps become depressed, find someone you can talk to. Find someone humble with a correct personal theology that will not judge. See your doctor and tell him your circumstances and what you are thinking/feeling. You are not alone.

17. Member

Praying

Quote Originally Posted by dnolen View Post
    But guys I've been in dark place. I was saved about 5years ago. But due to some circumstances I've fallen. Honestly questioning my faith at times. I have tried to talk to elders at church and feel some have turned their back on me. I find myself questioning why my family has the problems it does why he allows some crack head to have children at will and takes the opportunity from good loving people. Why does he take someone great from the earth and leave evil people. I have prayed and prayed but I don't feel the lift I used to. The last 2 years of my life have been a nightmare. With no relief in sight. I don't have the fire I once did. I could pick up my bible and get lost in the word. But now I can't a passage to save my life.

Is this normal? This not what I normally would put on line in a open forum but I desperately need some guidance.
    Read 2nd Timothy 2 vs 15 just heard on Joyce Myers ministery and for some reason I thought of you. God loves everyone still praying for you and your family

18. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Watch the video... It's a lengthy video, but both are GREAT teachings. They are two of Ray Comfort's teachings combined, "Hell's Best Kept Secret" and "True and False Conversion"

Especially listen to - 1:15:10 to 1:16:25

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live