Another jack-plate question

So sorry for flooding the forum with year another jack-plate question. So my setup is a 2009 AlumaCraft Pro175 with a 2017 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke.

Now Ive been looking everywhere to see if anyone else is running a jack-plate on something similar like my rig.

Reason on I’m looking into a jack-plate is to move my motor up some and get my ptp(Don’t ask me what it is right now cause I don’t know it right now as I sit here and write this) where I want it at and the benefit of the set back.

Also any other benifits I’ll get by installing one.

Also so want to here any cons as well.

Thank you much.

Are you just looking to install a manual or a hydraulic jp? Are you experiencing any oerformance issues? What prop are you currently running?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Are you just looking to install a manual or a hydraulic jp? Are you experiencing any oerformance issues? What prop are you currently running?
    Yea, but I am I’m getting proper rpm at wot 6000 but cannot trim up much if any with a full live well. Starts to porpoise. And with everything I’ve researched leads me to believe my motor is too low. Now I’m running a aluminum prop 19pitch.

My my holeshot is good and time to plane is good as well top speed is right around 37-38 at 6000rpm

RPMs that high with that low of speed isn’t a good setup for a 90hp on a 17.5 boat.

JP is in order, or at least move the motor up to 3rd down from top. Go to a X7 SS 4 blade 17p. And you’ll loose most of that porpoise. And be in the middle 40’s for speed.

Your prop slip is ridiculously high with that aluminum prop.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    RPMs that high with that low of speed isn’t a good setup for a 90hp on a 17.5 boat.

JP is in order, or at least move the motor up to 3rd down from top. Go to a X7 SS 4 blade 17p. And you’ll loose most of that porpoise. And be in the middle 40’s for speed.

Your prop slip is ridiculously high with that aluminum prop.
    see that’s what I was also thinking was that prop was slipping n flexing under load. These are my two biggest upgrades over winter was to and a j/p and s/s prop either staying at 17p or jumping to an 18p (yamaha)

With the Yamaha I would go with the 18p. Rising the motor, and ss 18, your rpms will be around 5800 that is perfect.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    One of the biggest benefits of a jackplate is that the setback allows your prop to run in "cleaner" water. You will likely a difference in both handling and speed. A hydraulic costs quite a bit more than a manual plate but it gives you the ability to have the boat run optimally in whatever conditions are present. I would never buy another boat without a hydraulic jackplate.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by AlumaPro View Post
    Yea, but I am I’m getting proper rpm at wot 6000 but cannot trim up much if any with a full live well. Starts to porpoise. And with everything I’ve researched leads me to believe my motor is too low. Now I’m running a aluminum prop 19pitch.

My my holeshot is good and time to plane is good as well top speed is right around 37-38 at 6000rpm
    Aluminum prop has gotta go they are just not efficient. I think you would like the overall handling and driveability of a 5-6” jack plate you should be running close to or right at mid 40s with that motor on there.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the input boys, it’s nice to bounce ideas/thoughts off everyone and to get everyone’s honest opinion. So everything that I have been looking into is the same ideas/thoughts you boys are suggesting.

So so I will be purchasing a cmc manual j/p with 51/2 setback. Now with winter hitting hard here in the north it’s going be a project over the winter or I’ll just wait until spring when the temp’s are much warmer. Next will be picking up a s/s 18p-19p wheel.

Now next is is anyone have leads on deals for yamaha s/s wheel?