Spinnerbait Question

Can anyone tell me why on some double willow leaf spinnerbaits the front blade will not spin? I have bought several that don't spin and i will not use them. Hoping someone has a tip to get them working.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Do these have ball bearing at the front blade?
    Second thing is are you keep you rod tip high when reeling it in? If so that blade is being pushed upwards all the time and locking it on the arm.

3. Member
    Sounds like it need a few of more beads between the blades. For some reason it wont allow the water flow to work with both blades. Ive seen it before

4. Member
    I have seen where some blades were put on backward. I've had to use pliers to reverse the cupping direction to get them to work.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    Can anyone tell me why on some double willow leaf spinnerbaits the front blade will not spin? I have bought several that don't spin and i will not use them. Hoping someone has a tip to get them working.
    Could just be the quality of the build. If the manufacturer of the bait doesn't use the right combination of components and setup (wrong size blade, not enough space between front and rear blade, spacer beads are too big, warped wire arm etc) then it will cause problems like this. Could be how you retrieve your bait but most of the time it is the quality of the bait, or the bait is out of tune.

Have never seen a spinnerbait that didn't have the lower/front blade mounted via a "stirrup", which will NEVER ever allow it to rotate or spin. All it can do is oscillate. Can't say I've ever had THAT problem with a spinnerbait. I had a new Stanley break the wire at the top loop, so I never bought another. Also had a new Strike King that would NOT run true until I took off the lower/front blade, so I've been reluctant to buy theirs, too. I liked Bulldogs and they went away, so I use War Eagles with great results.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Have never seen a spinnerbait that didn't have the lower/front blade mounted via a "stirrup", which will NEVER ever allow it to rotate or spin. All it can do is oscillate. Can't say I've ever had THAT problem with a spinnerbait. I had a new Stanley break the wire at the top loop, so I never bought another. Also had a new Strike King that would NOT run true until I took off the lower/front blade, so I've been reluctant to buy theirs, too. I liked Bulldogs and they went away, so I use War Eagles with great results.
    Yay!!! Someone mentioned Bulldog Spinnerbaits! I bought a lot of this brand maybe 15 years ago. After years of use, new skirts, etc., my supply was getting low. I went on an EBay search and bought 25 baits for $55. Best money ever spent!!! Also found some buzzbaits really cheap. Quality components! Another favorite was from a company called Horizon which later became Terminator.

8. Member
    I don't generally use cheap baits. I used to love Stanley and used Bulldog and Horizon too. I use a lot of colorado/willow and Stanley seems to have quit producing that blade combo. I have a few terminator double willows that I have the problem with. I hold the rod in different positions depending on the retrieve, but usually hold my rod tip low. I just tried some War Eagle recently and they seem like a nice bait and they run true.