Question 2017 Z520C Question

Have a question with regards to speed with the following set up.
    250 Pro XS
    8" Bob's hydraulic
    25P think prop, not stamped, but that's what he thought it was
    First time owning a boat with a hydraulic jack plate.

I was told by previous owner to jack plate all the way up and trim all the way down at takeoff, then jack plate to #2 on gauge and trim up. Blows out quick so I have to jack down quickly, when it reaches 60 mph at those setting it chine walks real bad. I felt that the jack plate on #3 and 3/4 trim it ran smooth but top speed was 63mph. I raised the jack plate slowly and steering got real stiff around #4. Not sure what others have experienced? I know every boat is different however want to have a starting point. All this with 1/4 tank fuel, one person and water pressure at 20-25.

Thanks!!

2. Member
    Under normal conditions do not raise the Jack plate all the way up at take off usually doesn't work well. When the Jack plate is all the way down or close to it normally at higher speeds the boat will chine walk because it is too loose. At higher speeds if the Jack plate is to high or starting to get to high the prop will begin to surface that can have bad results on a Ranger hull. There are times when you may not be to high on the Jack plate but there is a lot of wheel torque that can be a prop issue. Was the speed recorded gps?

3. Member
    With a 25 Fury I think you’ll find you best performance in the 8-12 range depending on conditions and load. You should fine getting on pad in this range under normal circumstances, however in shallow water you can run it up to 20 to get up. You will have to feather the gas to avoid blowout. Conversely you can run it down to 1 in rough seas when you a little extra bite. The beauty of the hydraulic plate is it versatility.

4. Member
    He is running a Bob's plate not an Atlas. I also question what prop is on the boat and if I'm not mistaken the Jack plate should be a 10".

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    He is running a Bob's plate not an Atlas. I also question what prop is on the boat and if I'm not mistaken the Jack plate should be a 10".
    Reading comprehension is not one of my strong suits. Most of my post still applies. Generally run it in the mid part of your range and find what works best for your set up.

6. Member
    No, definitely don't want jackplate all the way up. In fact other than fast idling I would never have it all the way up. You can bury the plate then raise, but I would find your sweet spot and keep it there(unless conditions call for lowering-rough water/or tapping up for max performance). I'm running atlas and 25 Fury so my gage is different, but my sweet spot is between 7-9 on gage(max 20).

7. Member
    My old Z520 wanted the plate all the way up for take off as well. I'd drop the plate and trim up as the bow dropped.

8. Member
    My z520c needs the plate all the way up to 20 on holeshot

9. Member
    You guys that have to raise your jack plate all the way up every time you take off should consider a different prop. That's a lot of stress on a small portion of the jack plate pushing a fairly heavy boat. Plus sounds like a pain in the but every time you take off. In a day of fishing I rarely move my Jack plate more than 1" on my 521.

10. Member
    Yes gps speed. I also think it is a prop issue since owner had no clue what it was and it is not stamped. I have a 25 tempest 3 blade that I will try.

11. Member
    I have 2016 520c loaded heavy with 10” atlas
    with 25 fury two men 1/2 to 3/4 tank I can hit 72 with no problem.loaded light with 1/4 tank 75 by gps
    i am typically on 7-9 on my jack plate gauge and rarely move it unless
    i raise it in shallow water
    i would adjust your plate so the prop shaft is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches below the pad then adjust for your sweet spot

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB318 View Post
    with 25 fury two men 1/2 to 3/4 tank I can hit 72 with no problem.loaded light with 1/4 tank 75 by gps
    i would adjust your plate so the prop shaft is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches below the pad then adjust for your sweet spot

Thank you BB318! That is what I was looking for, a starting point.

13. Member
    Also, pm Ghost Comanche(Roger). That guy will get you squared away

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    If that plate is 10 inches it could void ur warranty, no more than 8 inches on a 520 C.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB318 View Post
    I agree with him 100%, that reading on the jack plate may be different, use the pad to prop shaft as a accurate measurement..