Garmin heading sensor

Does garmin make anything similar to lowrance point one?

2. Member
    Garmin SteadyCast. Excellent product.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    What all is needed to install this steadycast? Do you need one of these NEMA2000 starter kits? or can it be done without it?

I'd like to know as well... what do I need to hook this up to a 95SV? Does it just plug in straight to the NMEA2000 port on the back?

Thanks,
    Dan

5. Member
    http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Stead...Install_EN.pdf

quick answer - is yes you need to NEMA backbone network

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I'd like to know as well... what do I need to hook this up to a 95SV? Does it just plug in straight to the NMEA2000 port on the back?

Thanks,
    Dan
    What bksnaz said. Meaning that it does not plug directly to the back of the unit. If you don't have a NMEA2000 network, buy a starter kit. Don't try to set up the network by buying the pieces. Starter kit is cheapest route by far.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    That kind of sucks, another $100 for a nema starter kit on top of the $140 steadycast.

8. Member
    Yep. Hard to have a simple network that's capable of handling it all. Ethernet devices that need power have to have a power supply and extra wires. Some NMEA pull their power from the NMEA. Then some others still have to have a separate power supply. Not only do we now need power for the electronics consolidated though a switched fuse block, we need a network wiring closet in the boat.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    That kind of sucks, another $100 for a nema starter kit on top of the $140 steadycast.
    Still cheaper than a point-1 by 50.

10. Member
    If you do some good searching, sometimes you can find a real bargain on a starter kit.