Trigger Transplant

Long story short, I found one of my favorite old original Lew's rods at a bass fishing swap meet yesterday. I had to buy it. The problem is that the guy cut the trigger off. This was a common practice around here a number of years ago when flipping finesse jigs with spinning tackle was the rage. At that time, no company made a long, heavy action spinning rod and braided line was not yet on the market. So, everyone bought a casting rod to flip with, cut the trigger off, and used it with a big spinning reel.

I did the same thing with a flipping rod many years ago. And, when I wanted it converted back to a casting rod, a friend reinstalled a trigger for me. I have no idea how he did it. But, all you can see is a fine line between the trigger and the bottom of the reel seat. I don't know if he just glued it or used a pin and glue. The problem is that the guy who did this repair for me as since moved out of the area.

Any suggestions on how a trigger can be reattached to this rod?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Sounds like he probably cut the trigger off a reel seat and just epoxied it together, probably pinned, and did some fine turning with sandpaper etc.

You could fill the void up with epoxy, let it set and cure. Sand the surface to get a flat surface. Drill a few holes and epoxy pins in it that will extend into the trigger. Cut off a trigger from another seat, sand as need to get a good mating surface, fill with epoxy and place over the pins. I would expect you may have to do some fine tuning with sandpaper or files to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    Sounds like he probably cut the trigger off a reel seat and just epoxied it together, probably pinned, and did some fine turning with sandpaper etc.

You could fill the void up with epoxy, let it set and cure. Sand the surface to get a flat surface. Drill a few holes and epoxy pins in it that will extend into the trigger. Cut off a trigger from another seat, sand as need to get a good mating surface, fill with epoxy and place over the pins. I would expect you may have to do some fine tuning with sandpaper or files to get it right.
    Thanks for the feedback. That's kinda what I expect that the guy did to replace the trigger on the one rod I had repaired. I have a buddy who loves to solve problems like this with fishing tackle. I may give him a call and see if he wants to tackle it. I don't think I'm skilled enough to tackle such a tedious job and have it look right.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments