Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Optimax issue

I have a 2001 200 hp Optimax serial # 0T273469. This morning boat cranks fine when I go to full power boat levels out and shuts off. Thought I inadvertently pulled kill switch but no. Crank up it does same thing but when I turn key no beep or anything won't crank all power good to everything. Done it 2 more times then ran good rest of day. Sorry for long post any ideas thanks in advance.

2. Member
    My 2015 did the same shut down 1 time and ran fine rest of the day. I think it was not warmed up enough.

3. Member
    Test the Main Power Relay with a DVOM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Test the Main Power Relay with a DVOM.
    Okay I am somewhat mechanically inclined so where is the main power relay and how do I check it. Not wanting to sound like an idiot but electrical I am lost on.

5. Member
    TTT

6. Member
    Pretty sure it's one of the relays next to the ECU. I'm not sure how to test it but if you search Don has probably posted about it.

I'd also check the wiring on your remote control harness. If there is a bad connection on the neutral safety switch it could cause similar problems

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger62 View Post
    I have a 2001 200 hp Optimax serial # 0T273469. This morning boat cranks fine when I go to full power boat levels out and shuts off. Thought I inadvertently pulled kill switch but no. Crank up it does same thing but when I turn key no beep or anything won't crank all power good to everything. Done it 2 more times then ran good rest of day. Sorry for long post any ideas thanks in advance.
    Don could I get your opinion on this please when you have time thank you.

8. Member
    Ok went out today for a couple of hours and boat did same thing haven't had time to look at it was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. When you power up to plane out boat just shuts off. Sometimes it will crank back up but then again turn key and nothing happens. Graph still has power and everything else works finally got it to run down lake about a mile came back and same thing. Sorry for long post.

9. Member
    See post #3..........

This is where to start the diagnosis process. The testing must occur when the problem is occurring.

10. Member
    Will check tomorrow thinking I have a battery issue also that may be the root of the problem thanks.

11. Member
    Is the main power relay the one toward the back of the engine and should I change all 3 of them? Also noticed my oil tank in bilge is very low could this cause the problem also? Trying to troubleshoot myself.

12. Member
    I would only replace a relay if it tested bad.

13. Member
    Don't know if the "very low" level of your remote tank is source of problem (doubt it) but you should not allow level to drop below 30%. Don't overfill either, best practice is to keep remote tank between 30% and 80%. Based on your description you might want to check your reserve tank (engine mounted) to ensure it is 100% full with no air present.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Should beep when u turn the key on.Let's u no alarm is working. Oil pick up would cause it to derate.Check ur ki switch real good. I'm thinking fuel lines maybe.

15. Member
    Changed main power relay same thing boat goes dead when planning out so carried to the shop it's over my head.

16. Member
    Well carried it to the shop while my wife is out from surgery had a few things to be fixed before they could run it guess my former mechanic wasn't taking care of me like I thought( new head due to spark plugs hole damaged, new belt for alternator and compressor) parts should be in Monday guess I need to learn how to check things myself hope I have found a good mechanic now seems they are hard to come by. If this guy don't pan out guess I will have to visit Mr. Don in Greenville I'm only 1.5 hours away.

17. Member
    Over 600 views and no one else had this problem I hope it's not gonna be an expensive fix I hate not knowing I ordered a service manual so I can learn a few basic things.

18. Member
    suspect cannon plug connection on engine from key harness,use test key harness to confirm or not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Hour and a half from one of the best mechanics around, to me that's a no brainer

20. Member
    Ended up being a stuck relay and some pins on the wiring harness. Got some other things repaired that needed attention so good to go now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast