Question Yamaha Mechanic?

Any yamaha mechanic I can call? Rich Z I might call you. I did post my info below. Hopefully I make sense.

It's been almost 3 months stored in barn with motor all the way down and no signs of leaking at all. Thinking i'll check shaft first thing in the spring and run just a little at lake one day and then bring home and change lube. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by usabassin; 02-11-2018 at 08:03 PM.

2. Member
    If you want pm me your number. thanks

3. Member
    What motor, what problem?

4. Member
    200hp hpdi. lower unit lube question. might take some time to explain. probably best if I can call someone. thanks

5. Banned
    Burned lube or low level? You can call me during normal bussines hours.

Rich!

But usabassin, I would still try to post up your problem here, lots of knowledgeable guys here willing to help but cant take a call at the moment. Also, there are no stupid questions, just stupid (and potentially expensive) outcomes from not asking them and then screwing up!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    I posted in the lodge and got some answers but many saying the same and know it not expensive to change the lube. That's not the question but that what everyone keeps posting. Well here's the short of it. Winter it here and realized I don't have enough lube to replace so I decided to just check it making sure no water. Not sure why I did this probably because I normally change it all and this was different routine. I removed bottom plug and watched lube drip out (no water) Did not remove top plug and for some reason I thought I'll pump in a few pumps of new lube then put plug back in. When I removed filling tool it shot out hole as I quickly put plug in. I lowered motor back down hoping all was good. next day went out and noticed lube under skeg and prop. I found it looks like some leak out around the (housing?) that close to outside edge of prop. Cleaned up lube and haven't noticed anymore after a day or two. Going to check again and if any more has leaked. Did I blow out a seal or force it through seal? Hope this makes sense.

8. ZO6
    Not likely to have blown a seal unless you used a pressurized pump. Probably just didn't clean up well enough. Take prop off and check the shaft seal. That's a quick check without dropping lu. But that's only half the check. If you blew the seal it's likely to continue seeping a little.

9. Member
    If no more is leaking your probably good. Sounds like just some left over oil. I would take the top screw put and make sure it's not over full of oil. That will cause it to pressure up when it gets warm and bust a seal. Other than that just check it the next couple times you go out for water. As long as you catch it early if it is leaking you should be fine.

10. Member
    I'll check shaft seal. Was thinking if I find nothing. Run it first time in spring then change lube and see what it looks like. Thanks

11. Member
    Been a week now and still not more leaking. Only when I put lube in. Too cold out to check shaft now.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    By not removing the upper vent plug you gave nowhere for the air that was trapped in the lower to escape. That is why it blew back out on you when your removed the fill tool.

13. Member
    ttt

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    By not removing the upper vent plug you gave nowhere for the air that was trapped in the lower to escape. That is why it blew back out on you when your removed the fill tool.
    ^Agree^
    Also. I change or check the oil in the motor lowered position where the cav plate is horizontal to the floor. Don’t know if that made a difference in yours.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
    ^Agree^
    Also. I change or check the oil in the motor lowered position where the cav plate is horizontal to the floor. Don’t know if that made a difference in yours.
    My concern are the seals?

You’ll have to have it pressure checked.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

17. Member
    I doubt you hurt it but just for peace of mind id drain it then run it over to a marine mechanic for a pressure test. It only takes about 5 minutes to tell you if your good or not.

18. Member
    Talked to a local mechanic and seems to think I might be good also. He told me what to do to check myself. Thanks