Recommend 6'8 or 6'10 ml xf or light med fast

I'm looking for a casting jerkbait rod and thinking I would like to try and medium light extra fast as allow me to have a little quicker tip for twitching however when I set the hook I'll have to go aways into the rod to get enough backbone. I also may consider a medium action fast as seem to be much more available but I was thinking the extra fast tip on a medium light would allow me to make little Twitches easily in cold water. There are not a lot of Manufacturers that make a medium light casting rod so looking for recommendations. Looking to be in that 200 to 350 price range.
    I mainly throw an 80 Squad minnow and 90 Staycee. Every now and then I'll go to a 100 Pointer or a 110 vision. Usually use 10 pound Fluro.

To really help narrow it down I prefer a split grip as well as a rod that has a two piece reel seat like the Phenix or Fuji sk2 or shimano cumara or nrx has.
    Last edited by Bigguyone; 12-03-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    Don't overlook the newer GLX mbr842. It's a medium rod. But, sounds like what you maybe looking for. Tackle trap gives a good discount on them to bbc members!

I have a ML fast TFO rod and I have fished small jerkbaits. It worked but not what I would choose over a Med fast or Med XF.

4. Member
    St Croix has a MLXF casting rod in the Legend Tournament Bass and Avid lines. I have a MLXF Avid spinning rod and that blank works great for small jerkbaits. Based on your requirements the LTB TBC610MLXF fits the bill. Rod on sale at St Croix
    http://stcroixrods.com/shop/freshwat...s-casting-rod/
    Last edited by RFSims; 12-05-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add content

5. Member
    Have you looked at the Megabass jerkbait rods? They make a 6’11” model under the USDM Destroyer line called the OneTen special. The rod retails for $399 but I’m sure TackleTrap can do better to get you closer to budget.

6. Member
    Powell TW jerk bait 6'10" rod or a GLoomis 822DSR

Check out Elite Series Pro Kelley Jaye's Signature jerkbait rod on the larger jerks and the ZOLO Twitch on the lighter ones. Both have a much faster tip than our other rods to help work jerkbaits. They also have short handles which come in super helpful.

Kelley Jaye Jerkbait XP81JJ – 6’9”, 3/8-3/4 oz., 8-18#, Fast, Medium+ – $249.99
    Primary Role: Jerkbaits, Ripbaits, Topwaters
    What makes a rod suitable for fishing jerkbaits? It needs casting distance and hook-setting power with a handle that doesn’t bang the angler’s forearm and a rod tip that doesn’t slap against the boat during “tip-down” retrieves. It needs the strength to catch big fish without exhausting the angler during a day of casting lures up to 3/4-ounce. And it needs a power rating higher than medium, but less than medium-heavy.
    The ALX Kelley Jaye Jerkbait Rod has all that and more. The 4.25-ounce, 6-foot, 9-inch rod features an 8.5-inch handle, a fast action, a medium-plus power rating, has nine guides, and accommodates lures between 3/8-ounce and 3/4-ounce. It’s the only rod that was on the deck of Jaye’s boat when he hooked a top 5 finish at Lake Champlain’s Elite Series event in July.

ZOLO Twitch - 6’8″ Casting, MedLt+ Power, Fast Action - $219.99

The Twitch is right at home with popping baits, jerkbaits, and anything else you’d twitch just right. The soft tip and shorter length help you work baits easily. The power rating is deceiving – once you get a good fish on, there is more than enough rod for the fight!

8. Member
    Take a look at the Abu Garcia VILLAIN 6'10" ML casting rod. Soft tip, that tapers fast and has some true backbone. Lightweight, and at $199 is an impressive value. TackleTour did a write up on the Villain line of rods and had very favorable reviews.

I've got two of them. I use one for small Keitechs and the other as my secondary jerkbait rod.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Check out Elite Series Pro Kelley Jaye's Signature jerkbait rod on the larger jerks and the ZOLO Twitch on the lighter ones. Both have a much faster tip than our other rods to help work jerkbaits. They also have short handles which come in super helpful.

Kelley Jaye Jerkbait XP81JJ – 6’9”, 3/8-3/4 oz., 8-18#, Fast, Medium+ – $249.99
    Primary Role: Jerkbaits, Ripbaits, Topwaters
    What makes a rod suitable for fishing jerkbaits? It needs casting distance and hook-setting power with a handle that doesn’t bang the angler’s forearm and a rod tip that doesn’t slap against the boat during “tip-down” retrieves. It needs the strength to catch big fish without exhausting the angler during a day of casting lures up to 3/4-ounce. And it needs a power rating higher than medium, but less than medium-heavy.
    The ALX Kelley Jaye Jerkbait Rod has all that and more. The 4.25-ounce, 6-foot, 9-inch rod features an 8.5-inch handle, a fast action, a medium-plus power rating, has nine guides, and accommodates lures between 3/8-ounce and 3/4-ounce. It’s the only rod that was on the deck of Jaye’s boat when he hooked a top 5 finish at Lake Champlain’s Elite Series event in July.

ZOLO Twitch - 6’8″ Casting, MedLt+ Power, Fast Action - $219.99

The Twitch is right at home with popping baits, jerkbaits, and anything else you’d twitch just right. The soft tip and shorter length help you work baits easily. The power rating is deceiving – once you get a good fish on, there is more than enough rod for the fight!
    This is the route I would go. Just the length and actions you looking for, all while getting ALX quality and sensitivity
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"