Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Not Banned
    I use Worldwide and Bob that so many use here. I have towing on my boat policy. I'm under the impression that's highway or waterway. I could be wrong.

2. Member
    Had my trailer come of the ball once, the safety chains only last so long until they wear out from friction. Can't hit the brakes hard or you wind up with a trailer in the front seat. After the chains wore out the boat stopped on a grass strip of the shoulder. Lucky it was 5AM and there was no one else on the road, and I have a 14 foot tin boat. Picked the trailer hitch up, put it on the ball, drove to the lake and went fishing. Stopped on the way home to get new safety chains installed

3. Member
    One other thing, back in 2004 or 5 had a friend who broke an axle spring on a speed bump in a state park. He had US Boat insurance, and other than the fact that it took them 3 hours to find a tow truck that would come and pick him up (nobody wanted to come into the state park Saturday afternoon) he had no problem, and I believe no deductable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    You may want to verify that. I have AAA plus and had a brake line on my truck pop on the ramp. AAA covered the truck tow, but not the boat. I now have the boat covered under its insurance policy after learning a hard lesson 80 miles from home.
    You have to specify the boat and or any other trailer on the policy its not automatic otherwise its just the vehicle.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I left the boat on the shoulder of the road because st first I thought I could replace the bearing the following day and be on my way. But then I realized the races were welded to the spindle so the state police called a flat bed for me and eventually I replaced the axle while the boat and trailer sat in a salvage yard. Not exactly fun.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Not Banned
    I checked with Worldwide Marine earlier today about towing. I have $1500 per tow up to $3000 per year. That covers on the water or on the road towing.

Just a FYI..... I went with Bob at Worldwide after checking around and finding out more about what my present insurance company does not cover and how a total loss would be handled.

After doing quite a lot of research, I think a company that knows boats and trailers is the way to go. I thought that same thing when I owned RVs and bought from a RV insurance company. I don't know why I didn't do that with a boat until now. Also if your boat is a total loss for some reason, there are two different methods of paying you off --- one is what the insurance company says your boat was worth and another is an agreed amount beforehand. I would suggest that you find out what your company does with the way boats and accessories are going up on price now.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I had a close call on the interstate at night about 700 miles from home the other night. I also came in from fishing a very remote lake at night yesterday. We were catching fish and wanted the topwater bite late in the day. It would have been bad if my motor had not started for some reason. I feel better now about my coverage and options in an emergency.

I also got emergency trailer towing and emergency boat towing if I break down away from home on strange water where I don't have a friend to come and help. Did not have that before.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Just a FYI..... I went with Bob at Worldwide after checking around and finding out more about what my present insurance company does not cover and how a total loss would be handled.

After doing quite a lot of research, I think a company that knows boats and trailers is the way to go. I thought that same thing when I owned RVs and bought from a RV insurance company. I don't know why I didn't do that with a boat until now. Also if your boat is a total loss for some reason, there are two different methods of paying you off --- one is what the insurance company says your boat was worth and another is an agreed amount beforehand. I would suggest that you find out what your company does with the way boats and accessories are going up on price now.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I had a close call on the interstate at night about 700 miles from home the other night. I also came in from fishing a very remote lake at night yesterday. We were catching fish and wanted the topwater bite late in the day. It would have been bad if my motor had not started for some reason. I feel better now about my coverage and options in an emergency.

I also got emergency trailer towing and emergency boat towing if I break down away from home on strange water where I don't have a friend to come and help. Did not have that before.
    All good points. And going with a agreement payout is the way to go. Agreement on all three, boat ,motor, and trailer separately. And doing updates as new equipment is added also. I came out really good on the Triton loss. So it’s the way I will always go.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Not Banned
    Good deal. I've had Bob for over 5 years now. I haven't had any kind of claim but everyone here swears by him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12