2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase

I am looking at a 2000 Renegade 20ft. I do not know alot about Javelin boats and was wondering what you guys think. The seller is asking 12000 but I think I can get it for 11000. Is this a good deal or should I keep looking? I have posted some pictures he sent me.

Modified by emerson73114 at 3:10 PM 4/29/2008
    Chris
    <'))))><

2. Javelin 20DC Renegade javelin225H.O.'s Avatar

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (emerson73114)

I have a 99, same model. I love mine. Rides good, very stable, no chinewalk. and fast. Price sounds right. Bought mine last year for 11500.
    Motor is a gas hog, but runs strong.
    []
    Javelin Renegade 20 DC
    Johnson 225 H.O.

3. Member

To determine if it is a "good deal" really depends on your situation. If you intend to keep it and use it for a considerable number of years, it is probably a good deal for you. You just need to know that when it comes time to sell, you will likely not get as much as it is actually worth. That's just reality for a boat from a company that is no longer in business. The carbed johnson motor is a beast but it will eat gas like a beast as well. If you primarily fish for fun with the kids and don't get in hurry to go anywhere, its not a big deal and that motor will outlast any of the new DI motors if maintained. If you fish tournaments and run hard, it will cost a small fortune.

For the money you can't find another boat that performs like the Renegade 20. You should consider adding a jackplate if you want it to perform best. That boat/motor combo will run 70+ complete loaded and many people feel that it handles rough water as good as any new boat made today.

The bottom line is that your own personal situation determines if it is best for you.

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (TxAgs97)

I have the same boat with the Fitch Motor. I would say thats a fair deal. I like my boat. Good chance you will need to replace livewell hoses unless its already been done. Feel free to ask any questions about the boat. Yes, put a plate on it. I have a 6 but wish I had done an 8. Guys say its even better to get rid of the Chine on these boats. It likes the weight in the back.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (tdt91)

I have no idea what the value of the boat is but I would like to give a few comments anyways.

One could argue that the Renegade 20 hull was one of the best designs to come out of the OMC line up. OMC owned Stratos and Javelin and was bought out buy Genmar.

Genmar owns several different lines of boats. They decided to do away with the Javelin line but realized that the Renegade 20 was a smokin hot hull design and decide to put it into the Stratos line up. That hull is now a Stratos 200 XL. With a good set up a 225 can achieve mid to upper 70s low 70s no problem. Plus some people will say that the ride is just as good as the Stratos 201 and they ride like a Cadillac.

Looking at the pictures I noticed that the trailer does not appear to be like trailers that came with Javelin's from the factory...maybe it was ordered with that trailer. I would ask about the trailer. Look in the owners page and you will see the difference
    http://www.bassboatcentral.com/javelingallery1.htm

6. Member

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (JR19)

sold my 99 javelin r19 2 months ago for 8500..it had a 175 ficht on it..with almost 400 hrs on her and she was clean..The motor is tough on gas and you have know idea of the hours on her..i would say 10k..would be a good deal for you..its a buyers market right now..the buyer should jump on that!
    GO VOLS

7. Member

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (basketball coach)

It appears to have some finish issues on the back.

I'd assume it's been used in brackish water, hence the alum trailer.....now, it would never sell up here in Tn with that trailer.....but probably would not sell well in the deep south with a painted trailer.

The engine has been a proven winner with only a few having locator pin problems in the port cylinder bank. The hull is a proven winner. After having it all checked out, it should make you a very nice 10K rig.

Re: 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 Purchase (Todd Morgan)

He told me the original trailer was replaced due to the original owner fishing in brackish water. I have no idea what that means. Is that bad for the boat? He told me the original owner would flush the motor but never took care of the trailer until he had to replace it!
    Chris
    <'))))><

9. Member

Not really an effect on the boat.......except at resale. Most will ask if it's been used in saltwater....the "yes" answer is usually bad.

The alum trailer is a dead giveaway tho. It's the way to go for brackish water applications.

10. Member
    I've got the same boat but with dual consols i'll sell you for 10,000...........very low hours gary in NC 704-865-0250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gary View Post
    I've got the same boat but with dual consols i'll sell you for 10,000...........very low hours gary in NC 704-865-0250
    The post you replied to is 5 years old.....

12. Member
    But welcome to bbc!

13. Member
    Thread revival something serious here..
    I bought this boat last year.. its an exellent boat no question.. actually found this post while searching photos of these renegade 20s. Ive often wondered the history of this boat. I bought if from a fella in Tennessee..
    Curious if the op is still active an knows any more of this boats history.

14. Member
    I have a 2001 Renegade 19 with a 150 Johnson carbed. I just got it in January but so far i really like it. I have 6in Hi Jacker. And it comes out of the hole great and planes off very quick. Not really ran any rough water yet. But look8ng forward to it. Mine was advertised and one owner with 48 original hours on motor. And i feel i got good deal at $7500
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

15. Member
    does sound like a good deal.
    Story i got on the boat when i bout it was that the guy i got it from, he and his son has had the boat a while fished tournaments out of it and they were going in together an getting a bigger boat. was told the trailer it had was from an accident with a ditch, which we see now was not true. they bought it from a guy near guntersville, which i believe close to where the OP is from, so i wonder if he bought the boat or not. apparently the boat has been a tournament boat most if not all its life.
    im sure the motor has a crazy amount of hours on it. still runs like a champ though.. since these pics from ten years ago a 8inch jack plate has been added and the boat runs mid 60's. look like they prop has been changed too, its got a 4 blade 25p renegade on it now.

I have had this boat for just over a year now and i paid 6500 for it. pretty cool to find some more history behind it. Its interesting to see the comments on looking out for brackish water issues an some saying they wouldnt touch it because of that. 10 years later the boat is in great shape an runs great with no issues, i myself can say ive probably put close to 200 hours on it since ive had it.. i love the trailer it pulls great. the gell is a bit more fadded but id say not too bad for an 18 year old boat thats spent most of its life in the sun and un-covered. i agree with the comment about this being an amazing hull, ive spent a bit of time on eufala and martin and been caught in some storms that brought some big water an i was very impressed by how it dealt with that. it rides great fishes great. cant say enough good about it.