Ultrex frozen prop

Last weekend I fished Friday then on Saturday but on Saturday morning the prop was frozen and would not run under power, I had to hand turn the prop to loosen it then it was fine. Set out this morning and the same thing happened. Hand turn it then it worked. I could feel the ice in it. It’s been in the 50’s during the day and 20’s at night. I’ve never had this problem before with any of my minkota’s in the past. Anyway I took the prop off and this is what I found, rusty water and rust behind the rubber washer. Any one up north here have this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Seal needs replacing at the very least.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Ever had line wrapped around it next to the seal?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    I've seen surface rust on the metal parts of seals before. Anyhow, if there's water (or ice, which of course is water) inside the motor assembly, it will ruin it if not corrected, even if it sits over the Winter unused. Like a previous poster says, this could be caused by line around the prop shaft either now or in the past. It just might suck to be you, I see seals and O rings in your future.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I've seen surface rust on the metal parts of seals before. Anyhow, if there's water (or ice, which of course is water) inside the motor assembly, it will ruin it if not corrected, even if it sits over the Winter unused. Like a previous poster says, this could be caused by line around the prop shaft either now or in the past. It just might suck to be you, I see seals and O rings in your future.
    More like his immediate future. It's not going to last long with water in the motor.

6. Member
    A sure way to find out if you have water in the motor is to loosen the bolt that is closest to the skag. then raise the motor as if you were going to deploy. If you have water intrusion in the motor water should drip out that loosen bolt.
    As for as the rust. It is not uncommon to see it, on the seal. Not sure where it is coming from, but I have seen it on every motor that passes thru my shop. It is no big deal. Really.
    If there is water intrusion then I would get it to a shop asap so it can be cleaned and resealed. My gut feeling is the water is coming from the transducer housing. I get many more motors with water that have transducer then motors with out transducer. Just saying.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jignpig1 View Post
    Last weekend I fished Friday then on Saturday but on Saturday morning the prop was frozen and would not run under power, I had to hand turn the prop to loosen it then it was fine. Set out this morning and the same thing happened. Hand turn it then it worked. I could feel the ice in it. It’s been in the 50’s during the day and 20’s at night.
    The clues ^^^^
    Water has gotten by the seals.

8. Member
    Call Minn Kota asap, I would expect it's still under warranty being as it's a newer Ultrex.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Member
    I’m hoping there’s no water intrusion, I haven’t had a problem with the motor since I bought it. I left the prop off last night to see if it would freeze again and no it didn’t, put the prop back on and went fishing. I took it off tonight just to see what happens over night. I will be calling minkota first thing in the morning to see what they have to say. Thanks for the replies .

10. Member
    Loosen the 2 bolts that hold everything together. If it hasn't been to long since you've been fishing water will run out. Or you can take one of those bolts out and see if it looks rusty. From what you describe, I'm betting you've got water in the motor

11. Member
    If there is ice in the motor, then there is water in the motor. Can come from many sources including a cracked shaft, bad seals (cut by line) or a bad seal at the transducer. It needs to go to the shop and have fixed. If it was caused by line getting in the seals, not a warranty item since it isn't a "defective part". If it's a bad seal at the transducer, cracked shaft or a defective part, will be a warranty fix. At any rate, since there is still warranty on the unit, it needs to go to an ASC.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Sure enough I loosened the bottom bolt and water came out. I’ll be taking it to a shop on Friday. I hope I don’t have problems down the road with the lower unit because of this. Thanks for the reply’s.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jignpig1 View Post
    Sure enough I loosened the bottom bolt and water came out. I’ll be taking it to a shop on Friday. I hope I don’t have problems down the road with the lower unit because of this. Thanks for the reply’s.
    Shouldn't have future problems. The ASC will reseal it, check the brushes for excessive wear and should change the armature bearing.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]