Question about Crestliner 1600 Angler Deep-V Versus Other Mod-V Boats

I’ve had a few small alum boats, the last one being a 16’ Lowe all-welded model with a tiller 40 Yammy and it was a wonderful boat for central Texas bass fishing. I got blown around by the wind, sure, but I learned how to manage it and to stay constantly on the TM and I got several DDs out of that boat.

Recently a really nice Crestliner 1600 Angler with a 4s 60 tiller Yammy popped up for sale and I never really thought I would consider a deep v boat for bass fishing but when I went to look at it I was surprised at how much I liked the layout and the spacious front deck. It felt huge compared to my Lowe.

I did did some research on deep v boats and came up with two concerns. Getting blown around in the wind even more than in a mod v because of the higher sides on the boat. Not sure if most of those comments were coming from guys that just never really got comfortable to fishing in the wind in a tin boat. It’s very different from a glass boat for sure but it can be done. So I’m wondering if there is a really significant difference in how both boats get blown around in the wind or if they’re actually similar? Hoping to get some answers from guys that like to and are used in fishing in the wind with both types of boats and managing it just fine by staying on the TM.

Second question is i I used to be able to float in probably 4” or 5” of water with the Lowe mod v. Seems like the crestliner might need 12” or so. I’m trying to figure out if that’s a real deal breaker or not. I’m wondering if the boat would float in even less water, maybe more like 8”-12”? I really can’t remember how many times I really needed to get into 4” of water. When you can do it easily I guess you just sort of start to take that for granted.

The thing about the deep v is that it would make things actually a bit safer if I ever got caught out in big water. That happened once to me at Choke Canyon in my Lowe and I was really nervous running to the other side to make it back in time for weigh in. Really nervous. :)

Appreciate any input.

2. Member
    No one boat can 'do it all'. My fishing options include small rivers, large rivers, small inland lakes, and Lake Erie and St. Clair, all within a hour from my house. In a perfect world, I would need a kayak, small jonboat, 17 foot deep V aluminum boat (what I presently run), and a 621 Ranger in order to effectively and safely fish each of the choices. But one can't take the 621 into skinny, rocky rivers or launch at tight, unimproved launch ramps. And you'd be foolish to take a small jon or kayak out on Erie or St Clair most days when the water temps are below 60F (though I've seen plenty of people do it) and risk hypothermia - stuff happens, especially on the big water. Modern trolling motors with spot lock and shallow water anchors pretty much make fishing in winds no problem nowadays. I'd say go for the deep v and rig it properly. A deep V is definitely safer in rough water than a mod V, but does catch more wind and get blown around more than the mod v due to the higher sides. We've all been out on days that we wish we had the "right" boat (no such thing, lol) so stay on the safe side. All you're giving up is running in 4"-5" water - even though the only thing that can run in that is a mud buddy/go devil.

3. Member
    AMSDJS, appreciate the reply.

One thing, I wasn't talking about running in shallow water -- I just wanted to know how shallow the boat probably could float while under TM power. There are times when I go way back into creeks or flats and sometimes there's little areas that you can float over if you pull up the TM and just skim the prop near the top of the water for a bit until you get into deeper water.

Not really looking for a boat to do it all, just was curious about the wind and shallow water capability of those small deep-v models.

Choke Canyon and other large Texas reservoirs certainly can get rough and dangerous, but I am pretty sure it's nothing like the stuff you can get caught in out at Erie and LSC.

Thanks!