Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda Marine... any thoughts

I am exploring the purchase of a new boat in the first 1/4 of 2018. I leaning towards a BCB or maybe something else... who knows
    but i am currently running a Triton with a MERC. thinking about a honda marine power plant. looking for some pros and pons if any from people who have experience with a HONDA...
    it will a 250 hp motor if that makes a difference.

2. Member
    Don't have one, but the top half is superb, the lower unit is a real drag on the performance. If I were going with a more reliable powerplant than a mainstream engine, I would check out Suzuki as well.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonty256 View Post
    I am exploring the purchase of a new boat in the first 1/4 of 2018. I leaning towards a BCB or maybe something else... who knows
    but i am currently running a Triton with a MERC. thinking about a honda marine power plant. looking for some pros and pons if any from people who have experience with a HONDA...
    it will a 250 hp motor if that makes a difference.
    Paul Elias has a Cougar FTD with a Honda 250 for sale on the boards here. Maybe you could contact him and ask about performance? Jesse Wiggins ran a Honda also, not sure which Cat. Like printman said, check out the Suzuki also. I would guess low to maybe mid 70s would be attainable. Both of those engines have a track record on being bulletproof

We don't have a preference in engines and sell more Mercury than anything. Honda is a good but short of a Mercury or Yamaha in performance, though the powerhead should last as long as you keep your boat. They are that dependable.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Paul Elias has a Cougar FTD with a Honda 250 for sale on the boards here. Maybe you could contact him and ask about performance? Jesse Wiggins ran a Honda also, not sure which Cat. Like printman said, check out the Suzuki also. I would guess low to maybe mid 70s would be attainable. Both of those engines have a track record on being bulletproof
    Yes jessie does, he is a local guy and know they are his sponsor. Which one reason I am considering

6. Member
    I looked at his boat he says it runs about 73
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Precision Sonar
    Quietist Motor there is, Bullet proof and good on fuel. Won't run as fast as a Merc, Rude or Yamaha. Not many dealers out there to work on them.

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

8. Member
    I've seen a Honda with over 150 overheats from improper maintenance and still running strong. But I'll also say that I've been in a trx21 with one that topped out at 65... it did have a high 5 prop but the hole shot still wasn't what you'd expect from a 5 blade on a merc or Yamaha. Like others Said, slow but reliable (the 21trx was one of Paul Elias's old boats as well)

9. Member
    Thanks for the input, and i believe i am going to stick with Merc.
    would like to run a new rude g2 but my local dealer doesn't sell / maintain them...

Don't buy a Honda if you care anything about performance. The BF250 has no balls compared to a SHO, Pro XS, or G2...I learned the hard way.

We never said that, though we did say they may run thousands of hours without a wrench being turned.

12. Member
    My dad has a 10 year old Honda 150 on his pontoon, NEVER a single problem. As far as speed his Yamaha 150 was defiantly faster but who cares if you don't have to worry about break downs.

13. Member
    Motors aren't very fast when they're in the shop.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We never said that, though we did say they may run thousands of hours without a wrench being turned.

BCB do you know if Honda had any plans yet to build a 300 or a little higher HP 250 to get the performance a little closer to other brands?

15. Member
    I'll put a Yamaha f250 against a Honda 250 day in and day out!! Your commercial fishermen will also agree!

Nothing wrong with any four stroke on the market with dependability.

17. Moderator
    My .02 worth.. The Honda is a good dependable motor BUT... Lacks the performance most want on a bass boat and the Honda dealers are far and few between for any down the road service. There hasn't been a motor built yet that doesn't require service or maintained at some point.

18. Member
    I would buy a Honda in a heartbeat over the "faster" motors. I could never afford a new one. I just struggle along with my Suzuki 4 stroke. I'm an old fart. The most valuable thing about any motor TO ME is getting back to where I started.
    Like Moose6 said, motors aren't very fast when they're in the shop. We here have motor forums for Honda, Merc, Suxuki, Yamaha 'Rude etc, why not drop down and read about these by brand?

19. Member
    Guys, speak to the Coast Guard about Honda, at 20,000hrs they take them off and Sell them at Auction, Still running......granted thats alot of Idling, but 20,000hrs.....I sell a bunch of Hondas, and on all of my boats the performance is close, but not as Fast as a Merc Verado or Yamaha Offshore on top end....you put a Good Mercury Prop on a Honda not that Crap from Solas and youd be shocked, the BF250 is 275hp at the prop, its a Fact, and Yes Honda has Larger motors coming out in Miami for 2019, has anyone seen the NSX motor.........and service Centers, when you ask American Honda in Georgia why dont you have as many service centers as Mercury? They will say, " we dont need as many", their motors are Cross Engineered with Automotive, and how many Honda or Acuras do you see Broke down on the Side of the Highway....Happy Holidays
    /

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaFox76 View Post
    Guys, speak to the Coast Guard about Honda, at 20,000hrs they take them off and Sell them at Auction, Still running......granted thats alot of Idling, but 20,000hrs.....I sell a bunch of Hondas, and on all of my boats the performance is close, but not as Fast as a Merc Verado or Yamaha Offshore on top end....you put a Good Mercury Prop on a Honda not that Crap from Solas and youd be shocked, the BF250 is 275hp at the prop, its a Fact, and Yes Honda has Larger motors coming out in Miami for 2019, has anyone seen the NSX motor.........and service Centers, when you ask American Honda in Georgia why dont you have as many service centers as Mercury? They will say, " we dont need as many", their motors are Cross Engineered with Automotive, and how many Honda or Acuras do you see Broke down on the Side of the Highway....Happy Holidays
    /
    What does Cross Engineered mean exactly i am confused?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast