Lake Istokpoga Fishing Info...

Hey guys, got a touney coming up at Istokpogs in a couple weeks. Planning to go down next weekend and do some pre-fishing. Ive only been on the lake once and that was 10 years ago. So, anybody got some suggestions on where to go, and baits to use etc. Thanks

Sorry i dont have any info on poga. But when you do go, can you give us a report on lake conditions. I heard it was all muddied up last with almost no vegitation.

Thanks.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. Member
    I was on it a couple weeks ago. No vegetation and could not see the bottom in 3 feet of water. Caught a few flipping the edges of tall grass with the biggest being about 4lbs.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

4. Member
    I will give an update after I go. I suppose I will just go with my tried and true stuff as far as baits and types of cover and see what happens...sounds like it tough

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Member
    Mud ...
    I'm down there every two weeks seeing clients.
    Always take a peek at H2O quality.
    It hasn't recovered from the intense spraying.

7. Banned
    Had a small club classic there 11/11 &11/12 one team got 22#s in Arbuckle creek on first day we had 14#s and every body had about 11#s on day two.Kissimee grass and pads every where,still some hydrilla on NW side.

I live on the east side of poga and the just sprayed yesterday. But whats new they spray all the time

9. Member
    Spraying has absolutely ruined Lake Istokpoga, It use to be one of the best trophy lakes in Florida and my favorite place to fish.
    Now a mud hole of shame thanks to the state funded idiots that ordered the spraying.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    Spraying has absolutely ruined Lake Istokpoga, It use to be one of the best trophy lakes in Florida and my favorite place to fish.
    Now a mud hole of shame thanks to the state funded idiots that ordered the spraying.
    Agree with this. It is a shame what the spray boats have done to a once great lake. Sad

11. GTB
    Ditto. It used to be my favorite lake .I rarely go there now.

12. Member
    Wel, didnt make the trip today, juat didnt want to contend with the wind, cold and rain. Planning to fish Sat and Sun next weekend there instead. I thought it was one of the beat lakes in FL, but I guess not anymore....

13. Member
    Well, just got back from Istokpoga. Fishing was tough, and thats putting it mildly. In two days fishing we got about 8 or 9 bites and put 5 keepers in the boat between my partner and I. Only places we were able to find any success at all were thick heavy cover in 3' of water or less. Finding clean water was a challenge, but I did find a little, I thought perhaps we might fish hydrilla, but we never saw a piece. I did find a nice area of mats around Cypress Isle fish camp (I think) and I caught a good one there punching a craw, I would like to have worked the area better, but it was closing in on weigh in time, so we had to go.
    As far as the tourney, we put in at Hendersons, our small club had about 14 boats and only 2 had a limit, 12# and change won, with big fish being just under 5#. We ended the day with a measly 3 fish for about 6#. I will fish the lake again though, but it was super tough this time around.

14. Member
    I guess they need to spray some more since you caught a few fish, that seems to be the pattern.

15. Member
    I live 5 min from the lake and have pretty much given up on it! Once my favorite big bass lake. I'm getting into the offshore thing on placid and June in winter.