Garmin network setup

I'm starting to plan out my sonar setup for next season and am trying to figure out all the components necessary. I want to have two 70s at the bow with a PS21 on the troller. On the console I have the GCV10 box and a 70dv. I have an electric steer trolling motor, so I'd like to be able to sit at the console and see panoptix on the 70dv (while panning with my trolling motor remote).

Obviously the GCV10 has 3 network inputs, so I can connect all the MFDs, but that leaves the PS21 out of the picture. Do I need to buy the GMS10 just to have everything talk, or would a standard RJ45 splitter work somewhere?

I'm trying to accomplish this all on a budget, hence my hesitation to spend another 300 CDN on the GMS. I will be buying one of the 70s and PS21 - I have the other units. I could look into a 741xs instead of the 70s, but that would basically double my investment into this expansion.

2. Member
    I've tried a non-Garmin hub. I can't recommend going this route. I had some things work but the Panoptix would not come on. You might keep that in mind. I was able to network the Panoptix to other units via the generic hub but that was with it plugged into a 7610 to turn it own.

You already have this figured out. You're just going to have to make some choices. A unit with two network ports or the GMS10.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Banned
    I just bought a 721xs because it has 2 Ethernet ports
    Last edited by coachallen; 12-03-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Well that puts a wrench in my "cheap" plan. Has anyone successfully used a tablet to mirror a display in "real world" scenarios? I know the Helm app was a bit of a dud, but is ActiveCaptain any better? If I could have Panoptix connected to a single MFD on the bow and mirror that at the console that would work for me too.

5. Member
    I have not done that. I did plan to until I read about some of the difficulties of viewing in direct sunlight and complications of inclement weather. If I make something an essential part of my fishing plan those two things eliminated the tablet from consideration to use on my boat.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    For your problem I think the GMS 10 network box is the way to go. At one time I had used a GMS but the power port pins got bent in the plug. I have tried many times to repair but seems hopeless. So if heavy footed guests appear on you boat at times........

Another solution is to buy an MFD with two ethernet as coach has mentioned. You could sell one of your existing MFD to help defray the cost.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I've tried a non-Garmin hub. I can't recommend going this route. I had some things work but the Panoptix would not come on. You might keep that in mind. I was able to network the Panoptix to other units via the generic hub but that was with it plugged into a 7610 to turn it own.

You already have this figured out. You're just going to have to make some choices. A unit with two network ports or the GMS10.
    Win, Did you use a network switch?
    I wonder if the Garmin hub is POE hub, i.e. it provides some power to the item connected, if that is the case, then we should be able to use a POE power injector of the CORRECT voltage and use it with a regular network switch,

FYI: a regular network switch is not water IPX rated, :-(
    Shibs
    Crestliner 1700 with 90 hp 4S (2016)
    Avid spoonplugger and student of Buck Perry.
    Fish out of Muskegon Lake, MI

Onix 10 SI

8. Member
    I used a TP-Link TL-SF1005D I got for $9.95 on Amazon. At first I thought it was POE also but the word from Todd is that Garmin does not use POE. It some kind of funky proprietary something they do and that description by me is lacking because there's more that I don't know than that I do know. It really doesn't matter to me as I prefer standalone over networked units. Garmin does all kinds of synchronization when units are networked and it just works better for me not to network them. For me to network units and like it I need a complete synchronication menu that allows for full individual manual control of what you want to synchronize and share.

Im wondering if I plug the PS21 into my GCV10 so it has the power it needs, then use one of the other ports on the GCV10 with a splitter to connect two of the MFDs to, if that would work. I understand the switch wouldn't be IP rated, but it's under my console where it's out of the elements. I might just give that a shot this spring to see if I can get away with it. If not, I'll settle for a dedicated panoptix unit up front until I can add a GMS box.