Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

"Success is never owned, it is rented, and the rent is due every day."

2. Member
    So if the Old Ranger boys are starting Vexus because they care about the boating industry and want to fight JM why did they sell ranger in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    So if the Old Ranger boys are starting Vexus because they care about the boating industry and want to fight JM why did they sell ranger in the first place.
    Forrest sold the company a whole long time ago. It was when Irwin Jacobs had the company, along with a number of other boat companies, that he ran into financial problems. Ranger was profitable, but many of his other boat companies were not. So, he declared bankruptcy. Ranger just got caught-up in the mess. Platinum Equity, a holding company, bought Ranger (and a couple of the other boat companies, too...I think). Anyway, Platinum Equity held Ranger, let Randy, Keith, and the others run it as they always had. But, Platinum Equity's only interest was in profit. They had no interest in owning a boat company. They got it cheap and waited until its value increased and then they sold to Johnny Morris. It was only when Johnny Morris took over that Randy, Keith, and the other left the company. Since they had non-compete clauses, I assume that they got a buy-out of some kind, rather than just quitting outright. Now that their non-compete clauses have run out, they started Vexus.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Forrest sold the company a whole long time ago. It was when Irwin Jacobs had the company, along with a number of other boat companies, that he ran into financial problems. Ranger was profitable, but many of his other boat companies were not. So, he declared bankruptcy. Ranger just got caught-up in the mess. Platinum Equity, a holding company, bought Ranger (and a couple of the other boat companies, too...I think). Anyway, Platinum Equity held Ranger, let Randy, Keith, and the others run it as they always had. But, Platinum Equity's only interest was in profit. They had no interest in owning a boat company. They got it cheap and waited until its value increased and then they sold to Johnny Morris. It was only when Johnny Morris took over that Randy, Keith, and the other left the company. Since they had non-compete clauses, I assume that they got a buy-out of some kind, rather than just quitting outright. Now that their non-compete clauses have run out, they started Vexus.
    That makes sense. i didn't know the back story.

5. Member
    Most companies these day’s will only give severance pay if you
    sign a non-compete. It sucks sometimes but if you want the $
    you have to sign it. I wish Vexus all the Best!!!!

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Information I have is that Forrest sold Ranger in 1987. I do not believe it was to Genmar at that time although it could have been. Genmar filed for bankruptcy in June 2009, and Platinum Equity picked up all the bass boat lines (Fishing Holdings, LLC) and some of the larger cruisers (Rec Holdings, LLC). Irwin Jacobs bought a couple of the cruiser brands back. Story has it that he also wanted Champion, but PE wouldn't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    Most companies these day’s will only give severance pay if you sign a non-compete. It sucks sometimes but if you want the $, you have to sign it. I wish Vexus all the Best!!!!
    I don't think that is necessarily true. Typically a Non-compete is compensated for, but is not considered severance and are usually short term. Any more, as was in the case of my separation from an international technology corporation in 2016, you sign a binding non-disclosure agreemant (NDA) as a condition of your employment. Right-to-work laws pretty well protect the employee from being restricted from seeking employment in their field. Severance is based on the conditions of your release. In my case, the company lost portions of a national contract that had expired and been renewed at a much less labor intense structure. My severance was based on my tenure with the company due to the downsizing. I'm still bound to the NDA I signed which basically states I can't disclose information as to company proprietary information.

I'm looking forward to seeing Vexus' product line and wish them the best of luck even though at my age, I'm in my last boat ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Information I have is that Forrest sold Ranger in 1987. I do not believe it was to Genmar at that time although it could have been. Genmar filed for bankruptcy in June 2009, and Platinum Equity picked up all the bass boat lines (Fishing Holdings, LLC) and some of the larger cruisers (Rec Holdings, LLC). Irwin Jacobs bought a couple of the cruiser brands back. Story has it that he also wanted Champion, but PE wouldn't let it go.
    I think you are correct. I think Forrest did sell the company to someone before Jacobs. But, if I recall, Forrest bought the company back within a very short time, as the buyer couldn't make a go of it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    I think you are correct. I think Forrest did sell the company to someone before Jacobs. But, if I recall, Forrest bought the company back within a very short time, as the buyer couldn't make a go of it.
    No, Forrest sold Ranger to Southland corporation (7-11 stores). Southland used junk bonds to finance the purchase. Southland got into trouble and Irwin Jacobs purchased the junk bonds at auction for pennies on the dollar, and took control of Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    No, Forrest sold Ranger to Southland corporation (7-11 stores). Southland used junk bonds to finance the purchase. Southland got into trouble and Irwin Jacobs purchased the junk bonds at auction for pennies on the dollar, and took control of Ranger.
    That may have been what I was thinking of, but couldn't recall the correct details.

10. Banned
    WW...between all the VEXUS Kool-aid and RANGER butt-hurt...this was a pretty good thread!!

11. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerSP View Post
    I've owned a 2000 Ranger R83VS, a 2005 Triton Tr20X an now Nitro Z8. All were/are very good boats. Ranger is just insanely expensive for really no reason other than useless fluff.
    I bet the R83 was the best of the three.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    Roger that! Had a dream about my R7x with an F150 hitting 64.92 GPS.
    Fun while it lasted ................
    Oh, with a 150HO Etec G2, 25p prop, I bet way faster then that on a Alum. boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Don't put very much money on that bet because you will loose. That's not how the boating industry handles independent dealers. They give a dealer that will only handle a given manufacturer's product an incentive for exclusive sales of their product. Like reducing the dealer's cost by a couple percent. It's been that way for years and years and will continue. Everything is NOT a conspiracy. Why do you think one company owns multiple hotels in Las Vegas? JM doesn't care what boat you buy, as long as it's his. He will however claim all the buying power from vendors of material costs (carpet, plumbing, wiring, motors, etc) he can negotiate. Just like you do when you buy anything. It's not personal, it's business.
    The local dealer here has been pressured into taking on Skeeter and was thinking about it until he was basically told he would lose triton and Ranger if he did. Needless to say he didn’t take in Skeeter.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

15. Member
    [QUOTE=TritonJT;9054771]No, Forrest sold Ranger to Southland corporation (7-11 stores). Southland used junk bonds to finance the purchase. Southland got into trouble and Irwin Jacobs purchased the junk bonds at auction for pennies on the dollar, and took control of Ranger.

Had Forrest kept Ranger maybe none of this would have happened. Then again he’s a sell out. I wouldn’t want anything tied to his name anyways.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

16. Member
    Seniorjumper82, Then why come on this thread and bash Forrest when you know nothing about the details
    of the sale. Forrest has been the most influential Bass Boat builder of our time. So take your criticism and
    shove it up your ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Banned
    Seniorjumper82, Then why come on this thread and bash Forrest when you know nothing about the details
    of the sale. Forrest has been the most influential Bass Boat builder of our time. So take your criticism and
    shove it up your ASS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pretty sure he was trollin...and got you hook line and sinker. Damn, you jumped right into the livewell.

18. Member
    Last edited by Seniorjumper82; 03-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

19. Member
    Don’t care if he was trolling or not. Said my pease and mean it.

20. Banned
    Don’t care if he was trolling or not. Said my pease and mean it.
    Well I certainly hope you can find PEACE now that you've said your PIECE.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast