Thread: Extension cords

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I rented a home on grand lake. It was at least 150 yards to the boat in the slip. I bought a bunch of standard cords from wally world and strung them to the boat. Three days, no issues. On board two bank charger.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

2. Member
    Given the issues that have been raised here, I went back over the list of properties I am considering and eliminated any that would involve a really long run. I think I should be able to get withing 150 to 200 feet if not shorter. I am going to drive to the lake next weekend and pace some of them off to see just how far they are.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

3. Member
    I'll be blunt.
    Agree with Cat Fan.
    Real world advice here.
    12-3 would easily be fine to run a measly 3amp draw device for up to 400 feet from a 120 volt outlet.

However, why not DO IT RIGHT and direct bury a 10-3 to the dock and be done with it. Buying 400 ft of 12-3 SJ cord would more than pay for the 10-3 direct bury. Just get some labor to get it buried.
    If it's over solid rock and can't be buried, then go overhead with appropriate wire.
    Then you could run any 120 volt device you could imagine at the dock, including a 140 amp mig welder.

Good Lord, I wouldn't even begin to let this simpleton issue influence what property I would buy.

This is not a slam , just a wake up call.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 12-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    I'll be blunt.
    Agree with Cat Fan.
    Real world advice here.
    12-3 would easily be fine to run a measly 3amp draw device for up to 400 feet from a 120 volt outlet.

However, why not DO IT RIGHT and direct bury a 10-3 to the dock and be done with it. Buying 400 ft of 12-3 SJ cord would more than pay for the 10-3 direct bury. Just get some labor to get it buried.
    If it's over solid rock and can't be buried, then go overhead with appropriate wire.
    Then you could run any 120 volt device you could imagine at the dock, including a 140 amp mig welder.

Good Lord, I wouldn't even begin to let this simpleton issue influence what property I would buy.

This is not a slam , just a wake up call.
    He's renting the house.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    He's renting the house.
    Dang, wasted my my fingers, so I'll condense:

12-3 as long as needed to get there.

6. Member
    Whatever you do PLEASE DO NOT HALFASS IT!

ANYTHING DOWN BY THE WATER NEEDS GFCI PROTECTION!!

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/04/what_is_electric_shock_drownin.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Charger is a Minn Kota MK 315 D. Three banks output @ 5 amps each. Is that the same as the draw?

Edit: I went to the Minn Kota website and found a table that shows the wire needed for various runs. At 150' it is 12 AWG so I guess 400' is out of the question.
    If that's rated to work between 110-120v your good but if rated to operate at 120v and you only have 115v, which is probably less than that if you do not have 120v at the source, you stand a good chance of cooking your charger.

If that rental home is on with other homes on the lake they will affect volatge too when frig/freezers, AC etc kick on and could put you way less than the min operating voltage(brown out) of the charger thus cooking it..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    He's renting the house.
    Good thing, to do it correctly at 400' your looking at a 24" deep trench with greater than 4/0 wire and at that point I'm calling the power company to set a transformer from the pole and I would tap off that to supply the homeower power at the desired location which would be quite pricey...

9. Member
    Most of the latest chargers are able to handle the voltage drop, especially switching chargers vs. Linear chargers. Which very few these days are linear chargers (due to weight of the transformer).

This same voltage drop condition occurs all the time at motels before a tournament. And for the most part todays chargers handle it well!

Some manufactures of chargers even point this out to get you to purchase there charger.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Most of the latest chargers are able to handle the voltage drop, especially switching chargers vs. Linear chargers. Which very few these days are linear chargers (due to weight of the transformer).

This same voltage drop condition occurs all the time at motels before a tournament. And for the most part todays chargers handle it well!

Some manufactures of chargers even point this out to get you to purchase there charger.
    This.

Some topics are best left to common sense, or if you don't have any, researched elsewhere rather than a forum such as this.

11. Member

Then you could run any 120 volt device you could imagine at the dock, including a 140 amp mig welder....

...Some topics are best left to common sense, or if you don't have any, researched elsewhere rather than a forum such as this.
    Sounds like you need to take your own advice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsully View Post
    Sounds like you need to take your own advice.

You are absolutely correct.

4/0 is the absolute minimum wire required to run a 12volt battery charger in Michigan.

I apologize.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 12-06-2017 at 10:22 PM.

13. Member
    You are absolutely correct.

4/0 is the absolute minimum wire required to run a 12volt battery charger in Michigan.

I apologize.
    That plus one must use solar power for any device that draws more than .02 milliamps.

15. Member
    I was able to visit the lake and check out the properties first hand. Of course the one with an outlet right at water's edge doesn't appeal to my wife. There are a couple of others that have an outlet about 120 feet to the water. Add some for getting out to the stern of the boat and I am coming in at less than 150'.

According to the MinnKota table for my charger I need 14 AWG for 100' and 12 AWG for 150'. Everything I have is 14/3. I guess I'll have to suck it up and get a 150' 12/3 cord.

16. Member
    If you are not going to plug it into a GFCI plug at the house you might think about getting one of those GFCIs for extension cords. I think that they are around $20.

And I know this may sound a little stupid but I got to thinking and some equipment rental places rent extension cords which might be something to look into if this is a one time thing. First rental place I looked up on Google has a 100ft #12 for 10/week. If you are only going to be gone for a week it might be a cost effective option. Buy a 50ft that you might actually use for something else later and just rent a 100 footer.

Just throwing it out.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I was able to visit the lake and check out the properties first hand. Of course the one with an outlet right at water's edge doesn't appeal to my wife. There are a couple of others that have an outlet about 120 feet to the water. Add some for getting out to the stern of the boat and I am coming in at less than 150'.

According to the MinnKota table for my charger I need 14 AWG for 100' and 12 AWG for 150'. Everything I have is 14/3. I guess I'll have to suck it up and get a 150' 12/3 cord.
    Good choice, and the 12/3 is far better suited for running anything at 150' than 14/3, so you should have lots of other uses for it.

18. Member
    I have the same charger and have been using two 12/3 100’ extension cords when I stay at the lake and haven’t had any problems. I use a gfi at the electrical outlet at camp site.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    If you are not going to plug it into a GFCI plug at the house you might think about getting one of those GFCIs for extension cords. I think that they are around $20.
    I looked at that. All of the places I am now considering have GFCI outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    And I know this may sound a little stupid but I got to thinking and some equipment rental places rent extension cords which might be something to look into if this is a one time thing. First rental place I looked up on Google has a 100ft #12 for 10/week. If you are only going to be gone for a week it might be a cost effective option. Buy a 50ft that you might actually use for something else later and just rent a 100 footer.

Just throwing it out.
    Thanks for that tip. I looked for a 150' cord and they don't sell them. Renting the 100' cord is something I will check out.

I work for a stage lighting company. I will have to see if we have 150' 12/3 cables. I'm pretty sure the longest length might be 100' for Edison and 150' for 12/3 L620 cables. A/V companies call them Edison cables, Film and television folks call them Stingers.

We sell used cables. www.4Wall.com or www.usedlighting.com They can ship to you or probably transfer them to our shop in Lititz PA for pick up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12