Helix/Ulterra interference question

While running the Ulterra I pilot link, and the Helix Mega 10 at the console there is interference on the screen, When the TM is not running all is good. I unplugged the the connection between the two and it resolved the issue. So the question what is it that I need to get to fix the issue? Ferrite Ring? If ferrite ring, then how big of one and roughly placement? Close to the TM or closer to the Helix under the console? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. Member
    There is no one answer. I think in this issue you will be far better off calling HB and follow their lead with trouble shooting. They have worked with a mess of guy's with your exact problem. They will help you get what you need to fix your situation. You spent a mess of money on all this stuff and your best bet is to use their help. Been there, They are very familiar with that issue. Bob

Jeff, I'm running an ultrex 112 I-pilot link, helix 12DI (1st gen), 360 at the bow and at the console a helix 12 and 10 SI units all networked together. I too had horrible RFI to the point I was losing sonar and 360 imagery at the bow. I reached out to humminbird support multiple times and made everyone of their suggested fixes. Nothing worked.

I became so frustrated that I took my boat to a shop that had an electrical engineer on staff that specialized in humminbird and Minn Kota products. First thing they did was undo everything humminbird support had me do. Second, they grounded my bow unit (helix 12 DI) to the brown wire at the base of the ultrex foot pedal. Finally, they replaced my transducer with a trolling motor trancducer that had a shielded cable. They told me the trancducer that is shipped with the unit was not shielded. This solved all of my RFI problems. Wish I would of taken my boat to them much earlier and saved all the time trying the various suggestions provided by HB support.

4. Member
    Ralbertina, His unit is at the console. No transducer on the trolling motor. The first thing Humminbird should have asked you would be "did you exchange your transom mount transducer(the only one that comes with any unit) for the transducer made for the trolling motor and has extra shielding and mounting hardware for the trolling motor." If they did not ask you that they must have assumed you knew that. Their mistake. Bob

5. Member
    I’m not sure if you’re using the ducer integrated with the Ulterra. I had the same problem and the culprit was the grounding fuse in the head of the Ulterra. It was blown, I replaced it and everything was normal.

Number one thing is exactly where is the console MEGA transducer located?????

Is there just the one sonar unit installed on the boat?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Number one thing is exactly where is the console MEGA transducer located?????

Is there just the one sonar unit installed on the boat?
    The MEGA transducer is located at the stern, and the Ulterra at the bow. Boat is 25 ft long. Only one unit on the boat. HB sent me a ferrite ring. Just received it today and will test it out in a few days. Also heard that I should try running a wire from the negative terminal on the TM batteries to the negative post of the cranking battery that the Helix is on. The interference only occurs when in the MEGA transducer mode. No interference in any of the other transducer settings. While the TM is on.

Jeff

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    WHAT is "the connection between the two" mean?

Ethernet??
    If it's the Sonar output - you can't do that with an MSI machine...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    WHAT is "the connection between the two" mean?

Ethernet??
    If it's the Sonar output - you can't do that with an MSI machine...
    All this terminology is new to me, the connection I speak of is the connection from the TM "I assume it is the I link" It communicates with the HB I believe.

10. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Let's see some pictures then........
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Here is a link to a similar problem with what solved it .

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/in...p?topic=9660.0

12. Member
    I had the same problem and bought a pack of snap on Ferite chokes from amazon. I attached 2 of them 2 my sonar wire and 2 to the power cord and 2 to the ethernet cables. All the interference is gone and my image quality appears to not have been affected.