Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

REMEDY for MG Xi5 pedals draining batteries

First a big thanks to John (Jones Trolling Motors) for the suggestion. I installed a rocker switch on the red wire from the battery compartment to cut off the power when not in use. It acts just like installing new batteries. When you turn on the switch, the pedal powers on. At the end of the fishing trip, I turn off the switch. No more draining of the batteries when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Wow...Nice craft - I have haven't had an issue just turning the pedal off (holding down Anchor pedal for 2 beeps) - but will keep this in mind if mine ever starts eating batteries.

Very cool.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    Looks good, maybe Motorguide will take the suggestion
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Looks good, maybe Motorguide will take the suggestion
    Thanks again John. I called MG, but the people I had been dealing with were not available. The person that I talked with seemed to care less about the issue. I did email them the picture with an explanation.

Great idea. Glad it's working now
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Fished today, and batteries were holding fine. I think this will fix the problem.

7. Member
    This is awesome. I am taking mine in this week to have them look at it. I have to replace my batteries at the beginning of every trip. Once I put new batteries in the pedal powers up without me turning it on. I may look into this.
    ________
    $8

Great idea but in my case I think I would be hitting it with my foot too often. I have removed the anchor and constant on switches from mine for this reason. I would place mine in this area

9. Member
    I would make sure that "toe down" doesn't interfere with that area.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    First a big thanks to John (Jones Trolling Motors) for the suggestion. I installed a rocker switch on the red wire from the battery compartment to cut off the power when not in use. It acts just like installing new batteries. When you turn on the switch, the pedal powers on. At the end of the fishing trip, I turn off the switch. No more draining of the batteries when not in use.
    Very nice mod. I need to do the same to mine. Did you purchase the switch somewhere or did you already have it? I'm disappointed in MG not acknowledging the problem and offering a remedy, instead requiring end-users to come up with a fix, but it is what it is.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Great idea but in my case I think I would be hitting it with my foot too often. I have removed the anchor and constant on switches from mine for this reason. I would place mine in this area
    Where alabamaphoenix placed his, the back part of the switch is sealed inside the same space as the other electronics for better protection.

Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    Where alabamaphoenix placed his, the back part of the switch is sealed inside the same space as the other electronics for better protection.
    Just offering an idea here........just so you know, the only thing sealed is the two batteries, not the circuit board.
    Last edited by bloodman; 12-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    Very nice mod. I need to do the same to mine. Did you purchase the switch somewhere or did you already have it? I'm disappointed in MG not acknowledging the problem and offering a remedy, instead requiring end-users to come up with a fix, but it is what it is.
    I bought the switch from Bluewater leds, a bbc sponsor.

14. Member
    Thank you for this tip alabamaphoenix. I have been going through batteries like water. I agree with mak747 that it is disappointing that the consumer needs to modify the product to correct a design problem that the vendor refuses to own.

15. Member
    alabamaphoenix,

Completed the mod and it works great! Mounted mine in the same place as you did. No more foot pedal battery drain when not in use. Ended up getting the switch from Amazon because the shipping on the Bluewater site was going to be $7.50 for a $4.50 switch. Picked up a package of 6 on Amazon for $6.00. Seem to be well made and is working great. Thanks again for the idea as I was getting tired of the batteries being dead every time I wanted to use the foot pedal.

Good to hear. I am very disappointed with Motorguide. But, I am happy with the way the pedal works now. Glad yours worked out also.

17. Member
    What was the part number of the Amazon switches?? I need to install this mod to my pedal, had to put in the 3rd set of batteries today and this is over just a month and a half.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

18. Member
    Not trying to hijack but I have a quick question for those with battery drain. When y’all replace the batteries does your foot control power on automatically? Mine eats batteries too and when I put two new batteries in it automatically powers on. I was told by MG it was not supposed to do this. I am wondering if it is on all the time even though I power down?
    ________
    $8

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    What was the part number of the Amazon switches?? I need to install this mod to my pedal, had to put in the 3rd set of batteries today and this is over just a month and a half.
    This is the one that I used. P/N USS-WBS00001

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pin-Rocker-...s=2+pin+switch
    Last edited by mak747; 12-12-2017 at 08:26 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Not trying to hijack but I have a quick question for those with battery drain. When y’all replace the batteries does your foot control power on automatically? Mine eats batteries too and when I put two new batteries in it automatically powers on. I was told by MG it was not supposed to do this. I am wondering if it is on all the time even though I power down?
    Yes mine powers on when I replace the batteries. This actually is beneficial when you install the switch. When you flip the switch to On the pedal powers up without having to hold the anchor button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast