Thread: PFD ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PFD ?

Looking to purchase myself a new PFD. Which do you guys prefer for comfort and looks off course. I was looking at the mustang elite series. What is your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I wear the Onyx A33 Insite Deluxe, I forget I have it on most of the time and can accommodate a larger guy.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

3. Member
    I've had a Mustang for two years now. Fits well and stays out of the way.

4. Member
    thats all i ever use,i wear mine every time out (mustang elite) i have 3 of them

Just went from a Mustang to a Onyx. So far I'm really liking it !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Bass Pro Shops XPS platinum series. Very comfortable and has leg straps for those 200 mph bass boats we all fly around in.
    http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/xps-p...ng-life-jacket

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Onyx A-33 InSight Deluxe AutoInflatable Vest. I have a mustang also but I like the Onyx much better.

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Bass Pro Shops XPS platinum series. Very comfortable and has leg straps for those 200 mph bass boats we all fly around in.
    http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/xps-p...ng-life-jacket

For the money and overall looks and construction, the XPS is hard to beat. I've got two of them.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

10. Member
    i will never use a inflatable . to many reports of guys going in the water and not inflating.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    i will never use a inflatable . to many reports of guys going in the water and not inflating.

Unless one knows the specific brand involved and the maintenance history, that's an awfully broad brush. I suspect the reputable brands like Mustang have tested inflation under some pretty extreme conditions and found the failure rate to be REALLY low.

Quote Originally Posted by MN1965 View Post
    Unless one knows the specific brand involved and the maintenance history, that's an awfully broad brush. I suspect the reputable brands like Mustang have tested inflation under some pretty extreme conditions and found the failure rate to be REALLY low.
    I was wearing a new Mustang elite last December and found myself headed bottom of Lake Sinclair looking at the vest thinking why haven't you popped yet .

Quote Originally Posted by MN1965 View Post
    I was wearing a NEW Mustang Elite vest last December when I found my self headed the the bottom of Lake Sinclair and was looking at the vest thinking why haven't you popped open . Sorry I doubled up .

14. Member
    What was Mustang’s response?

I sent it back and they said they would let me know and they had email conversations with me and expressed concern but never heard back from them , T W sent me a replacement as soon as I got back to ramp and called them , they told me to also contact Mustang , TW was very good to me .

16. mikesxpress
    I would never wear an inflatable. Having started this bass fishing non-sense in the early 80's I have witnessed two incidents of boat occupants being discharged out of a rig at speed during our true in-line blast off's (fun but stupid) and they skip like a flat rock for 50 yards+. Just not going to risk my life on a CO2 cylinder and a water sensor. The moderator on the Ranger board got to experience one of these premium inflatables not inflating recently when he got tossed & knocked out during an at speed incident. He wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for another nearby boater that saw him eject and pulled him out quickly. No more inflatables for him.

I fish alone frequently during the week in both salt & fresh water and may not even see another boat. Your life vest needs to be visible day or night, protect your body in case of a high speed accident, and keep you afloat face up. That eliminates any styling/profiling dark colors and inflatables. I also have a ResQLink™ Personal Locator Beacon (or PLB) on my vest, a C-Light manually activated steady-on personal distress light, whistle and another LED flashlight in pocket. Overkill? Absolutely! For sure some one is coming to get me with that PLB!!!

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    But do you wear that the whole time your fishing or only when your motor is running, I wear an inflatable and it worked when I needed it and went over for the 1st time in like 30yrs but if I hadn't had it on it wouldn't of mattered. I had a few in the earlier days go off by themselves and I think the newer ones are more advanced and work better . that is only my opinion and I wear mine from the moment I step on the deck till I hit the parking lot everytime
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

18. mikesxpress
    Not saying having a PFD on the whole time on the boat isn't a good idea, it is!
    I opt to address the high probability events by wearing it when the big engine is running or rough water fishing for striped bass when the Z21 is bouncing around.

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    As they say to each there own.....some do some don't
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Onyx A33 Insight Deluxe

I love mine

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast