How is the mapping better on Garmin versus Humminbird

I am really sold on Panoptix. But have some hesitation. This is what i understand?

Helix will have better side and down imaging but maybe not much difference?

Garmin allows for side imaging off the trolling motor. HB you must be moving faster than TM speeds?

Garmin maps are included. So would save 200$.

To get above 9 inch and go 10 inch screen Garmin prices are higher than HB quite a bit. 1500 for HB 2500 for Garmin?

Garmin is more user friendly?

i am considering Panoptix. Then two HB units. Would the slower side imaging off the bow be useful enough to go Garmin? If i go Garmin in will be 9 inch. Are the maps better as well? Is the bigger HB screen and slightly better 2d really not that big of a deal.

My my gut says stay with one brand. Garmin throughout. I am 51 and really want a bigger screen but can't justify 2500 to 4000 for one screen?

would welcome opinions. Thanks

2. Banned
    Helix Mega will have much better side imaging. Helix regular chirp SI I would say, in my opinion, you would see about a 10% better image than Garmins. Helix Mega will also have better down imaging.

I dont think Garmin has “value” units above 9” like Humminbird does in the Helix. You should have more features for the extra money with Garmins above 9”

Never heard of slower imaging off the bow. Not sure why that would be.

3. Banned
    either si will work on the trolling motor as both allow control of scroll speed

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlthing View Post
    I am really sold on Panoptix. But have some hesitation. This is what i understand?

Helix will have better side and down imaging but maybe not much difference?

Garmin allows for side imaging off the trolling motor. HB you must be moving faster than TM speeds?

Garmin maps are included. So would save 200$.

To get above 9 inch and go 10 inch screen Garmin prices are higher than HB quite a bit. 1500 for HB 2500 for Garmin?

Garmin is more user friendly?

i am considering Panoptix. Then two HB units. Would the slower side imaging off the bow be useful enough to go Garmin? If i go Garmin in will be 9 inch. Are the maps better as well? Is the bigger HB screen and slightly better 2d really not that big of a deal.

My my gut says stay with one brand. Garmin throughout. I am 51 and really want a bigger screen but can't justify 2500 to 4000 for one screen?

would welcome opinions. Thanks
    FALSE

"Garmin allows for side imaging off the trolling motor. HB you must be moving faster than TM speeds?"

All you need is some movement so the Imaging pulses can scan subjects, that can be 0.1 mph or zero by turning the trolling motor.
    Humminbird Side Imaging is adjustable for screen scroll speed to match boat speed.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member

6. Member
    For my area Garmin's maps are more accurate than Humminbirds. For instance one 17 ft hump on my home lake no other mapping system shows it. I only have my area to attest to. One other advantage all of US is covered with Garmin. Humminbird is split into sections. Only critical if you travel to fish a lot.

For finding fish I rely on Panoptix perhaps too much. Set up on a combo to view my PS 30 down scan and PS 21 on trolling motor. Running parallel to shore line. It doesn't take long to find something. Use my main motor to putt along about 3mph. Trolling motor is off but pointed towards shore. For spawning spring crappie I almost feel like I am cheating somehow. Panoptix does NOT display pretty pix but it finds fish.

I also run a 360 transom mount view on boat. It does not get used much anymore. Have tuned it till blue in my face and it does ok just not as positive a fishfinder as the panoptix. A fish on a panoptix screen has like a blue tail on a red yellow blob. The structure stands still and the fish move. Simple and effective and no guessing.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

7. Banned
    That’s what i liked about panoptix. There no need for interpretation. If it moves, it’s a fish. I’m getting rid of my 360 and going back

8. Member
    Leave the poor dead horse alone Troy

9. Member
    The mapping on Garmin is not better for me and my home lake is one of their lakes. The mapping is pitiful and useless for me. I love the 2D sonar though.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Welcome back. Glad you did it though. Been reading your posts about it. It don't look like it's something I want to try. Saved me some money. Thanks.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    There’s an ignore button if you’d rather not see the truth

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    There’s an ignore button if you’d rather not see the truth