Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To Clean or Not to Clean?

How many of you wash or wipe down your tin rig after every trip? I for one like the maintenance free benefits of owning an aluminum hull and definitely do not wipe down after every day chasing fish. I will clean off the scum line at the end of the season before winterizing (which is not that hard) but don't mind the grit and stain on there during the season. Then again, like the glass boats, it seems a lot of us prefer a squeaky clean rig every time out.

So what do you do?

2. Member
    I wipe down the sides. The profile is so small it only takes five mins. I've never touched the bottom. I don't have carpet to clean.

It doesn't matter if it's a shovel,or my mower, a weapon, or my boat. It gets cleaned and maintained after use.

3. Member
    I wipe down the sides with Lucas slick mist most of the time. I have not cleaned the hull.

4. Member
    I don't do it every time. I've washed my boat twice this year, and I wipe it off with Slick Mist maybe once a month. Also, I don't have a garage to keep it in so it isn't going to stay clean anyway.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm new to the tins and I've only seen the need to just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth every couple outings. The RT198p does have fiberglass consoles and coinbox so I'll hit it with some wax a few times a year and apply Slick Mist every once in a while between waxes.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I don't even take mine out of the water after use. ha.

I put it in the water in early April, then didn't take it out till July when it went to the dealer for some work. Then it went back in the water till mid-October. I did wipe it down with some vinegar and water those times I did pull it from the water.

7. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I wipe down the sides. The profile is so small it only takes five mins. I've never touched the bottom. I don't have carpet to clean.

It doesn't matter if it's a shovel,or my mower, a weapon, or my boat. It gets cleaned and maintained after use.
    Both my tin rig and now current glass boat see a quick cleaning when i retrieve from water each trip, and when back at home in garage. Everything gets cleaned/a touch of maintenance after each use.

A bit OCD with my things, but if i spend good money i'm going to do everything in my power to make sure i see as much use as i can out of it - and that is achieved with good care.

Ol man has a 94' center console 16' striper that's been out more times than you could ever imagine, rolled it off the lot new - still looks brand damn new thanks to a great owner.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

8. Member
    I wash the boat 2 or 3 times a year and wipe it with bow to stern after I wash it.

9. Member
    Wipe down after every two or three times out or unless the water is dirty....just use a towel and water

Wipe down every trip. I like to keep my stuff detailed but then again my dad and i are picky people all our stuff is clean.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Wipe my 198P down with slick mist every time I pull her out of the water. Only takes a few minutes and keeps the boat looking like new.

12. Banned
    I only wipe mine down when we get the the glow in the dark neon algae blooms. In Wisconsin they could give me a ticket for transporting invasive species if I'm caught driving around with the algae on the boat Otherwise she gets washed once or twice a year.

Full wash after every use.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I wipe down the sides with Lucas slick mist most of the time. I have not cleaned the hull.
    Me to.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

How is your boat without carpet? Hot in summer? Slippery when wet? Noisy? Do your compartments stay dry? I'm assuming it is the camo pattern finish? Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    I only wipe mine down when we get the the glow in the dark neon algae blooms. In Wisconsin they could give me a ticket for transporting invasive species if I'm caught driving around with the algae on the boat Otherwise she gets washed once or twice a year.
    You have got to be kidding me. Getting fined because of algae.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    There are signs at the ramps of many WI lakes and some of the more popular lakes even have cleaning stations with washdown areas. There's more to the law and feel free to look it up yourself, but you get the gist with the pic I attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    We are having a huge problem with invasive species being spread from lake to lake. It is much different up here because of the size of the lakes, plus they are natural lakes and not river impoundments. My favorite lake is only 500 acres and it got infected, so now I cannot even get into the shore area's to fish docks, or visible cover. Your trolling motor won't even go through the crap. We have zebra muscles in some lakes that killed off all of the weeds. Our DNR is just trying to protect the lakes that we have left for fishing.

19. Member
    I wipe down after most every use, but never really clean the bottom.

20. Member
    Have always wiped after every use ,, you pay top $$$ for these rigs like to keep them looking like new ... Even in the fall I get a little mud or dirt on the carpet it get clean and vacuumed...
    Plus it make you look good too.. I've seen a few boats only a coupe years old with scum lines and stained carpets... Show what kind of person you are ...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast