Switching between fuel tanks?

Bass cat owners. Was doing more research and just realized this, do you guys actually have to get up and switch between fuel tanks from a valve behind the boat?

2. Bobby8
    Mine runs so smooth and efficiently I have never had to get behind the boat and switch a valve, mostly we are looking ahead as we run to ensure we don't knock the engine off of another boat.......but... to answer you question the fuel tank valve is by the splash well

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Yep, the valve controls are in the splash well. Not sure its any kind of issue, at least not to me. I always watch my fuel during the day. I set it to run on the tank which has the most in it. Never have had to switch it on the water.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Member
    I have a 2009 Cougar FTD w/ 250 Pro XS which has 2 X 26 gallon tanks. I've had to switch this valve once after running around for probably 6 hours straight on the big motor. Unless you plan on doing massively long runs at WOT the entire time a full tank of gas will last an entire tournament day with no problem. (Ike made his long runs at the Classic on the delta in a Basscat years ago. It worked for him in those extreme circumstances. I would think it should work for you in more normal conditions.) I wouldn't let this deter me from buying a Cat.

Twyla, this keeps hoses shortened in the boats and a dependable fuel valve on the system. Marine engines pull 7-10 pounds of fuel pressure, if not more today. The automotive fuel valves are usually rated at 4 pounds, and that what most use in marine applications. When used in a marine engine application we had a very high failure rate in testing, thus stayed with a manual valve and shorter hoses. The only valve we found dependable, and approved for marine, was in excess of $550 retail costs. It was offered by BCB one season for a retail cost of $400 and very few are out there.

With 20 gallons or more between switching, it's only a few seconds effort and has a 30 year track record of excellent performance.

As they've said here for decades, "everything has a reason"! Literally everything we do has to have a reason why.

BCB

6. Member
    Thank you

7. Member
    My buddies skeeter runs dual tanks but there is no switch. It has a brass t fitting and sucks from both tanks. Could this be done with a '95 Pantera 2?

It could if the Pick up tubes are in good shape. The newer models with anti-siphon valves are different and they won't pull evenly due to varying valve pressures.

9. Member
    One nice thing about 2 26 gallon tanks is if I know I am going to fish some alone, I will make sure I have less fuel in the left tank. Seems to balance the boat better. In 17 years of owning a Cat I can't think of a day I switched tanks on the water. Easy do at the gas station, just make sure you hear it "click", don't ask me how I know this....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkster321 View Post
    My buddies skeeter runs dual tanks but there is no switch. It has a brass t fitting and sucks from both tanks. Could this be done with a '95 Pantera 2?
    The Skeeter doesn’t pull evenly either or mine didn’t anyway.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

11. Member
    My buddies fuel tank switch in his '14 Skeeter is in the compartment behind the drivers seat. Even though it's within arms reach it is typically more trouble switching (due to having to move stuff around in the compartment) than going back to the splash well on the Cat. Also, if your motor stops running and the fuel gauge shows 1/4 or so of fuel left in the tank don't rule out the possibility of the tank being dry...yes I have done this and swore up and down it was the motor and not being out of gas.

12. Member
    Tyla - by the way, where are you located? If you are near Shreveport you are welcome to walk all over my Eyra.

13. Member
    My PUMA (05 model) has the two 10gal tanks in the back and one 36gal under the seat. The switch is on the transom in the rear. The control pad tells you how much is in each series of tanks. The under seat tank is one circuit and the two back tanks are another circuit. The saddle tanks in the back have a crossover where they will eventually equalize, but for filling purpose, each has it's own filler tube. I've never had a problem with switching tanks. If the tank you're running on is getting low, then switch before you start the long run.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    One nice thing about 2 26 gallon tanks is if I know I am going to fish some alone, I will make sure I have less fuel in the left tank. Seems to balance the boat better. In 17 years of owning a Cat I can't think of a day I switched tanks on the water. Easy do at the gas station, just make sure you hear it "click", don't ask me how I know this....
    Ha! same thing happened to me on my old Eyra

15. Member
    Ahhh isn’t that the fishing partners job...I make Taylor go switch it..between runs....of course he only complys if I’m on a strait-away and under 65! or he is to busy holding on as a do my chinewalk dance.

16. Member
    Jetboy- you actually do this while running? I have always shut down and turned the motor off before switching tanks. Even then it only takes 30 seconds to do it all

Texas, We think he was messing with us, his partner is probably reading also. I always try to get mine (partner) to do it before we make a run between spots. Often they get it easy before I am ready.

18. Member
    I run one tank dry before switching. I burn over 26 gal of gas probably 10 trips a year. When I feel my motor skip, I get off pad and switch tanks. Takes 30 sec.

19. Member
    Alright, I may have fallen for that one...but that would be one heck of a partner if he was willing to do that!