rod/reel balance

I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me on this subject. I hear and read about guys having a rod and reel combo that balances out at X number of inches above the grip or foregrip. My first question is, do many guys pay attention to the balance point on their rod/reel combos? My second question is, if you do pay attention to this, what do you look for? Are you looking for a tip-heavy combo for a certain application? Are you looking for a certain balance overall? I've never given it a thought before, but if it makes a significant difference I'd definitely start paying more attention to it.

2. Member
    I want every rod as balanced as possible. But it’s most pleasurable when using a balanced rod in a tip up application. Way less fatigue and to me makes the rod feel more sensitive since I’m not putting as much pressure to keep the tip up

3. Member
    I pitch my plastics about 70% of the time and I fish plastics 70% of the time. I like my rods balanced at the reel seat nut or just in front. I don't want a 6oz rod to make it happen though. For a crankbait rod, tip heavy is OK within reason.

Up until about 3 years ago I would have made a smart ss remark about your question then I got tennis elbow bad. Pitching with a 6'8 rod and a 7'5 the pain of the 7'5 was 2x more at least. This taught me abit about aging and high frequency motions. Get a balanced and relatively light rig.

What I did on my long rods is add weight to the butt and reduce weight of the reel to help offset
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    I want every rod as balanced as possible. But it’s most pleasurable when using a balanced rod in a tip up application. Way less fatigue and to me makes the rod feel more sensitive since I’m not putting as much pressure to keep the tip up
    Same with me. On rods that I fish moving baits on in a tip down fashion, balance is not an issue. But, on any rod fished tip up, I want the rod balanced right at the reel.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I like my flipping rods counter balanced so it balances right at the seat. Never really thought much about till I fished with one. Makes flipping and pitching a breeze.

Same as above for me. Moving baits like cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc., doesn’t make a difference to me if I’m tip heavy.
    Pitching, Flipping, bottom baits, I prefer more balance towards the reel seat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Counterbalanced with weights in the butt cap for balance at the reel seat. Makes a ton of difference for bottom contact fishing, especially flipping/pitching/punching.

8. Member
    I agree with everyone's opinion too. I like my combos to be balanced at the reel seat or even a little bit behind for pitching/flipping. For cranking, since the rod is usually pointing down towards the water most of the time, balance isn't as important.

For my spinning combos, instead of adding weight to the butt end, I grip my rod with my hand in front of the reel foot, like a fly rod. Takes a lot of stress off the wrist.

9. Member
    I don't fish spinning much but I compensate for balance like Vondady. To grip a spinning rod completely behind the reel would never cross my mind because the ergonomics are so poor
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    I appreciate the comments. I think I may try balancing a couple of my rods and see what kind of a difference it makes. Thanks!

11. Member
    It's going to make a huge difference. I build my own rods, and for rods that will be used for slack or semi slack line techniques, I will add weight inside the butt of the blank to get the rod and reel combination to balance tip light. It makes a huge difference in reducing fatigue. And it makes a huge difference if you are pitching or flipping. Being tip light makes it much easier to accelerate the rod tip which makes those two techniques much easier, much less tiring, and much more accurate.

I've added 2 and 3/8 oz of weight to the butt of a rod to get the balance point I want.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I appreciate the comments. I think I may try balancing a couple of my rods and see what kind of a difference it makes. Thanks!
    The most inexpensive way to do this is using rubber caps found on folding chairs. Your local Lowe’s or Home Depot sells em. Depending on the rod, you may only need the weight of the cap or some quarters or even 1-2oz round lead “river sinkers” to find the ideal balance. Compact the weights and ensure they don’t move or rattle. I’ve used the 1 1/4” and the 1 1/8” caps for my rods.

After finding the ideal balance point, I use electrical tape to attach the cap to the rod. Before putting on the cap I like to layer a sheet of plastic or any other non-adhesive material so that the cap has a snug fit and to prevent scuffs if I want to remove the cap later on.

Last edited by capt1fish; 12-06-2017 at 09:35 AM.

13. Member
    ^^^me too^^^

I usually just buy the largest stainless nut that will fit into the chair end for weight.

Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    The most inexpensive way to do this is using rubber caps found on folding chairs. Your local Lowe’s or Home Depot sells em. Depending on the rod, you may only need the weight of the cap or some quarters or even 1-2oz round lead “river sinkers” to find the ideal balance. Compact the weights and ensure they don’t move or rattle. I’ve used the 1 1/4” and the 1 1/8” caps for my rods.

After finding the ideal balance point, I use electrical tape to attach the cap to the rod. Before putting on the cap I like to layer a sheet of plastic or any other non-adhesive material so that the cap has a snug fit and to prevent scuffs if I want to remove the cap later on.

-Matt

14. Member
    All preference but generally the lighter and fewest number of things added to the rod blank will equal a more sensitive rod. It is a trade off between sensitivity and fatigue.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRanger619 View Post
    All preference but generally the lighter and fewest number of things added to the rod blank will equal a more sensitive rod. It is a trade off between sensitivity and fatigue.
    While you are certainly technically correct ..... where the weight is located determines how much of an effect that weight will have on a rod's sensitivity. Weight in the guide train, or weight forward of the point of effort (basically the reel seat) will have a much greater effect on a rod's sensitivity, than weight at the butt of the rod.

I'd also offer that a neutrally balanced or to even a greater extent, a tip light rod and reel combo, enhances bite detection. It definitely makes feeling pressure bites easier. And it makes "weighing" the line easier.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    While you are certainly technically correct ..... where the weight is located determines how much of an effect that weight will have on a rod's sensitivity. Weight in the guide train, or weight forward of the point of effort (basically the reel seat) will have a much greater effect on a rod's sensitivity, than weight at the butt of the rod.

I'd also offer that a neutrally balanced or to even a greater extent, a tip light rod and reel combo, enhances bite detection. It definitely makes feeling pressure bites easier. And it makes "weighing" the line easier.

17. Member
    It's going to make a huge difference. I build my own rods, and for rods that will be used for slack or semi slack line techniques, I will add weight inside the butt of the blank to get the rod and reel combination to balance tip light. It makes a huge difference in reducing fatigue. And it makes a huge difference if you are pitching or flipping. Being tip light makes it much easier to accelerate the rod tip which makes those two techniques much easier, much less tiring, and much more accurate.

I've added 2 and 3/8 oz of weight to the butt of a rod to get the balance point I want.
    Do you make it tip light before a reel or after you have tried a reel on it

18. Member
    I balance the rod and reel combination. The reel is on the rod, filled with line, and I run line through the guides. I don't hang a weight from the line, because the only rods I worry about being balanced are rods used for slack and semi slack line techniques. I personally put the weight inside the butt of the blank, because I know what reel I will always be using on the rods that I balance.

Were I a person that constantly changes reels on their rods, I would make it so the weight could be changed easily.

Just some general thoughts. The move to longer rods, split rear grips, lighter material used to make those grips, and lighter reels all contribute to rod and reel imbalance. I build my rods as light as I can, but for the slack and semi slack line techniques, I'm more concerned with rod and reel combination balance, than I am with the over all weight of the combo. Yes some of my rods (like the one I referenced adding 2 3/8 oz of weight to it) are noticeably heavier. But that weight is carried by the larger and less prone to fatigue muscle groups of the shoulder and upper arm. Not your hand and forearm.

A rod and reel balanced tip light (despite its' heavier weight) is a dream to fish. Give it a try. I bet you fall in love with it.

19. Member
    I balance the rod and reel combination. The reel is on the rod, filled with line, and I run line through the guides. I don't hang a weight from the line, because the only rods I worry about being balanced are rods used for slack and semi slack line techniques. I personally put the weight inside the butt of the blank, because I know what reel I will always be using on the rods that I balance.

Were I a person that constantly changes reels on their rods, I would make it so the weight could be changed easily.

Just some general thoughts. The move to longer rods, split rear grips, lighter material used to make those grips, and lighter reels all contribute to rod and reel imbalance. I build my rods as light as I can, but for the slack and semi slack line techniques, I'm more concerned with rod and reel combination balance, than I am with the over all weight of the combo. Yes some of my rods (like the one I referenced adding 2 3/8 oz of weight to it) are noticeably heavier. But that weight is carried by the larger and less prone to fatigue muscle groups of the shoulder and upper arm. Not your hand and forearm.

A rod and reel balanced tip light (despite its' heavier weight) is a dream to fish. Give it a try. I bet you fall in love with it.
    I was asking because i just got a custom rod and with my reel it is perfectly valance with the balance pount being maybe a 1/4 inch in front of my shaved reel seat. And can not wait to fish it next season as it was built to be my jig and t rig rod up to 3/4 oz

Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post

What brand rods are these?