Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I just joined the two startup routines for a (small sample) consensus procedure. I have yet to finish my wiring but am trying to learn before I get out with my new stuff. Thanks for your experienced opinion. Bob

I don't have an Ethernet switch, ive been powering up the units accordingly. I just got a new 15' cable installed unit to unit. The one I removed was kinked in a few spots as they twisted it up at bass cat, and tossed it down inside the side of the boat. Condition still continues. No sharing of any kind unless I do a factory reset. Actually the other day I did the reset and they still wouldn't talk. Humminbird had asked for both units to be sent to them for evaluation. Any other ideas before I cut the flush mounted one out of the dash (its glued in). Don't really wanna have to send in both units...
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I don't have an Ethernet switch, ive been powering up the units accordingly. I just got a new 15' cable installed unit to unit. The one I removed was kinked in a few spots as they twisted it up at bass cat, and tossed it down inside the side of the boat. Condition still continues. No sharing of any kind unless I do a factory reset. Actually the other day I did the reset and they still wouldn't talk. Humminbird had asked for both units to be sent to them for evaluation. Any other ideas before I cut the flush mounted one out of the dash (its glued in). Don't really wanna have to send in both units...
    Are they both running the latest software. Have you tried saving the waypoints to an SD card then deleting the nav. Data from the units and restarting them

Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Are they both running the latest software. Have you tried saving the waypoints to an SD card then deleting the nav. Data from the units and restarting them
    I have not deleted the nav data. Do you think there could be some type of corrupt file in there causing the issue? I have the latest software. Like I said, do a full factory reset and it all works temporarly.

5. Member
    I have not deleted the nav data. Do you think there could be some type of corrupt file in there causing the issue? I have the latest software. Like I said, do a full factory reset and it all works temporarly.
    It's possible you may have some corrupt waypoints

Nav data deleted. Did a factory reset on both units. Go them talking to each other. Powered them down individually, powered them back up. And it's back to not sharing info. Could this be resulted from having a cut off switch on my battery post. Do these units have to be always connected to a power source? Kinda like loosing your radio stations in a car after disconnecting the battery? After both units are off, I am switching off the battery disconnect, as I would for the end of the day anyway

Well I left the power fully connected on the switch this time and did a full reset got them talking and then turned around and had a power down session, then powered them back up and then they didn't talk again so I'm guessing one of the units has something corrupt in it

8. Member
    Have you tried powering one unit up and letting it fully boot up then try power the other unit. If that doesn't work try powering the other unit up first. Usually which ever unit has the transducer connected would be the first to power but it can just depend on certain setups. You may have to wait a few minutes after they both power up to find each other
    Last edited by ntslam; 12-18-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Cleared all the nav data and performed more resets, on and off the water, fished part of the day with them working. I read a post on here a pretty old one where someone added 360 scan, and had about 4 onix units on a ethernet switch that were doing crazy stuff. His onix 8 turned out to have a bad board in it. So I shipped them both off usps yesterday.. fingers crossed they come back in one piece and in a timely manner.

ntslam, yea i let the main unit boot up first and find gps. Ive tried them opposite of each other also

Cleared all the nav data and performed more resets, on and off the water, fished part of the day with them working. I read a post on here a pretty old one where someone added 360 scan, and had about 4 onix units on a ethernet switch that were doing crazy stuff. His onix 8 turned out to have a bad board in it. So I shipped them both off usps yesterday.. fingers crossed they come back in one piece and in a timely manner.

ntslam, yea i let the main unit boot up first and find gps. Ive tried them opposite of each other also
    Please update us with the results.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

The turnaround for repairs on the Onyx units was quite quick even with the holidays however my issues still not resolved they said that they replaced the circuit board in the Onyx 8 unit and I additionally asked for the sticking scroll knob on the Onix 10 be replaced they said they did but they did not that unit has not even been taken apart as some of the sealant for the flush mount /in dash covered alot of screw holes and you can really tell that none of the screws have been removed so I guess I will be sending both units back for a second visit

12. Member
    Sorry you are still having problems. I was wondering what screws you are talking about on the 10. I have my 10 home and was looking it over. Are you talking about the 4 holes on the back corners of the unit? All I see in those are threads, I see no screws in there. Almost looks like where a flush mounting kit might attach. Did they want both units to test the networking between them. I would think they may have tried the circuit board in the 8 hoping it would fix the loss of communication between them. Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose,especially with 2 units involved. Good luck. Bob

There is a seal/ rubber trim on the back of the unit along the edge that conseals the screws. However my 10 was flush mounted and that gasket peeled off with the glue. Behind it are about 5-6 small torx screws that hold the unit together. Im 100% certain that the 8 was dismantled and something replaced as I can see where some of the points inside the torx screw heads are rounded from maybe a electric screw gun. The 10 did not get taken apart as there was sealant covering some of the screws, and its still there.

The networking issue is still present and easily reproduced, I typed instructions on what to check and when the issue occurs. If both units are synchrnozied after a factory reset, and sharing data ie: front onix 8 shows side scan information, or map contours from the 10, and then units are powered down, then turned back on... the sync is lost and no data is displayed from the 10, on the 8. Hopefully this go around they get it right. And they are paying the shipping this time also

15. Member
    They should pay. It is awkward to service remotely but I would think a phone call would be helpful. I seviced adding machines to mid sized computer systems for 37 years. Talking face to face with customers is hard enough but a note is not going to get a clear understanding half the time. I hope they will figure it out without the yo yo shipping. Bob

I got the units back this weekend. They have been pretty speedy and bird is working hard to resolve the issues. However I am still having the same conditions after a power down. The map information some times doesn't transfer. They replaced the onix 8 unit. Theres another post I commented on and strangely enough the guy who posted it is also in a bass cat caracal. Ill post the link to that post. Hoping to find an answer. Ive thought about getting other units but cant because these units run all my nema and other gauges. I don't have any mechanical gauges.

18. Member
    How are you powering the units off when you are done? By a master switch or individually

Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    How are you powering the units off when you are done? By a master switch or individually
    powered on and off individually

20. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    powered on and off individually
    I think Carl may be asking if you are shutting off the master unit 1st or last?
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast