Post Changing a coil not so easy..

I had to change a coil on my 2003 300x which should be a simple deal. Well now the new coils are larger in size so to change 1 coil you must remove all 6 coils,wiring harness, and grds. Remove the plate that the coils fit in and enlarge the holes so the new coils will fit. You might as well do all 6 while you are at it. I did notice on a Pro xs that the holes are larger so I do not know what year Merc. started to enlarge the holes. Hope this helps..

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may be installing the WRONG coil....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Well Don you were right. WRONG coil. It's all my fault though I should have walked out when I told him I had a 2003 Pro Max 300x and he asked if was a Merc. or Yamaha. All Merc. dealers are not created equal..

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Well Don you were right. WRONG coil. It's all my fault though I should have walked out when I told him I had a 2003 Pro Max 300x and he asked if was a Merc. or Yamaha. All Merc. dealers are not created equal..
    Your explanation of your motor is a might confusing...No such thing as a Pro Max 300X. You either have a 300 Pro Max, or a 300X....two different motors.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Actually the 300X is considered a "Pro Max" as indicated on the cowling...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Gambler 2200DC/250XS
    Rick Hallenbeck

6. Member
    I have a Simon built 2003 Pro Max 300x..

7. Member
    A little confusing but two different motors. The X is the beast of the two.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Glad to hear you were able to get to the bottom of that.

As for the "ProMax" stuff... there was some cross-naming that occurred between the totally and utterly different models.

Engine SERIAL number is the only consistently accurate identifier.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    0t652508..

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Manufactured:

Serial#0T652508
    Model# 19308A0AH HIGH PERFORMANCE 300X "L" with NO G/C
    20"OS DSH,STD BRKT&TRIM,NO G/C
    DOB: 11/22/02

Just call it a "300X" (the only thing "ProMax" about it might be a decal or sticker).

11. Member
    Thanks Don..