Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Center step box and seats question

Considering a basscat for my next rig but I keep questioning the center step box and the seats on the basscat. For what seems to be a well built boat, the center console box kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't want to bash it because I really never seen one in person, but it looks to me just like a wooden box with carpet on it. From all the videos Ive watched, it looks like it doesn't have a latch or strap to hold it down during rough water. The box justs lays there and is held down by weight alone? Any of y'all have problems with this box bouncing up and down all day on rough water? The storage under the seat is a great idea also, but the two riveted hinges that hold the seat looks like it could be a problem in the future. Also, how dry does the center storage box and under seat storage stay? Thanks.

I've never had any problems with the center box bouncing in rough water. I have had problems with its hinge rivets loosening and have had to replace them twice over 4 seasons. The storage compartment under it is a cooler and it works very well - very handy while in the drivers seat and keeps things very cold. One other annoying design issue has to do with the snap that latches the keybox lid on top of the center box. If you lift the center box and let it flop forward, the snap will not hold and all the keybox contents spill out. Without exception, every new person that fishes in my boat, manages to dump the contents at least once. It's ridiculous.

Never had a problem with the seat hinges or rivets and I've never had any water in the under seat storage.

I have to totally agree with you on your assessment that it sticks out like a sore thumb on what is otherwise, an exceptional boat. It looks like a cheap after thought to me and completely incongruous with the rest of the boat.

3. Member
    I agree, a nice fiber glass box with a compression latch for the key box (similar to ranger) would really be nice. And maybe it's just me but I hate the fact that the box itself is just loose there with nothing to hold it from flopping up and down.

4. Member
    I have a 2006 Pantera Classic with the carpeted step box. When you sit in the seats, there is enough pressure to keep the box from moving. Never had an issue with it. With no day box in the older Classic, this step box turns into my catch all. If I had a model that had a day box, I would opt for the center seat instead.

The standard application is the center seat. They are working on a center box and have openly stated that here. Though the usability of some designs others have is more limited and they wanted to make the step have more function. The carpeted step box is actually preferred by some because it's simple and flat.

The Parts Dept. actually sells several each year for their use on other brands. They even offer to build a custom size for fitting the area in other brands.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 11-30-2017 at 08:03 AM.

6. Member
    I replaced my center seat with a center step box 3 years ago. The box is hinged to the boat and and I never had a problem with it coming open or moving around in rough water. It is a handy place to keep sunglasses, reading glasses, cell phone, mapping cards, etc. Other then the step/grab pole it is one of the better add on to my boat.

7. Member
    Do y'all offer a custom center box? Maybe somthing in fiber glass? Somthing with a compression latch for the keybox lid and a gas shock for the actual box itself? I know I sound picky but this is really somthing that's holding me back from pulling the trigger on a new cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The standard application is the center seat. They are working on one and have openly stated that here.
    Working on one what?

9. Member
    I never noticed a bounce in the least of the box. Its not as cheap as it looks in a picture. I did recently replace mine with a center seat though. I've got empty storage compartments on my Puma so the little storage in it was not needed for me, but I do bring a 3rd rider sometimes and even though they could sit on the storage box I wanted the seat. Still have very easy access to the cooler or storage under it.

10. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    My Caracal had the center seat when I bought it. I replaced it with the carpeted set box. It actually is a wooden box with carpet on it. It is very solid and seems to not leak at all during rain. The center seat I had, was not very conducive to using it as a step to get on the back deck. When folded down, you step on the back of the seat. It was at a 45 degree angle, very unstable for my wife as she tried to get on the deck in the back. If it had laid flat, it would have been okay. So now I have that center seat which I need to sell I guess.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

I personally like the flat carpeted step box. Mine does not have storage underneath (Sabre FTD) as the gas tank is under the seat platform in a Sabre 2017. The storage part of the box is not very deep, but it will hold sunglasses, balance beam, cell phone, map cards...plenty of room for those items you need at the helm or when culling fish. I have never seen it budge, even in some pretty rough water on Lake Martin, AL. Because mine has no storage underneath, the only time I tilt if forward is to clean underneath it. It is very well constructed and has a snap strap to hold it shut. Would it be nice to have a 'glass box the same color as the cap....Yes. The biggest complaint I have with the step is the cup holders...they are a hard plastic and do not grip the bottom of the cups/tumblers/bottles very well at all. I wish they would put the cup holders like come in my F150, which are a plastic, but with compressible rubber "grippers" in the bottom/sides.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Yes. The biggest complaint I have with the step is the cup holders...they are a hard plastic and do not grip the bottom of the cups/tumblers/bottles very well at all. I wish they would put the cup holders like come in my F150, which are a plastic, but with compressible rubber "grippers" in the bottom/sides.
    I did see someone was having the same troubles as you and made or bought an insert to go in the cup holders. I can’t remeber who it was or what he used but it may be worth searching for!

13. Member
    Center box has never moved or leaked on my 06 Sabre. Pull the trigger if this is your only concern.

I much prefer the carpeted box over the seat. I’ve had one on both my Pantera II and now my Cougar. Mine has NEVER bounced or moved in big water. The complaints I have on the box are (1) the cup holders hold nothing while running down the lake and (2) there is condensation inside the storage box on my Cougar if ice is used in the cooler below it.

The first I fixed by adding a small bungie across the two cup holders. I am still working on the second issue. I’m thinking of just making a carpeted piece of marine plywood for a lid or adding a poly board and seal to the bottom of the box. Any other ideas out there?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I’d love to see BCB design and build a center box similar to the fiberglass step box that holds the throw cushion, but has a storage compartment for small items like a phone, keys, etc. I’m considering modifying mine by removing the cup holders (never use them), installing a metal plate to cover the cutout, and then installing a non-skid pad over it. It would still act as a step, but I would have room to install a small storage box along the back half without sacrificing function. Just a thought.
    I’m open to working with the design team.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    I contacted basscat and they couldn't give me a true time frame, but they are currently working on a new center storage box between the seats. They couldn't give me details but only said in Jan we may see it. Looks like I will be waiting until 2018 to see how this new box looks before I pull the trigger and also see what vexus boats have to offer.

17. Member
    I have had a center box on a Cougar FTD for 6 years and have another Cougar on order with the same box. Functionally it works fine. Aesthetically, it could use some work. You are right it looks out of place, like a big box. The drawback other than looks is that if you do not have the top compartment snapped down, and pull up the box to get into the ice chest, everything falls out. Overall it works well and I would not avoid it for any of the concerns listed. I keep my phone, wallet, glasses and other stuff in it. Stays dry. No issues.

18. Member
    i mounted one in my rt 188. drilled a 21/2 holesaw hole mounted a matching t handle lockable (taylor) then took a aluminum joint brace bent it put in side as a catch removed the snap and life is sweet

19. Member
    They new models have an option for a fiberglass step box.

Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    They new models have an option for a fiberglass step box.
    I was reading all these replies and I was like... the new 2020 models are coming with a re designed fiberglass box. It looks to be alot more weather proof and latches. But from my under standing will not be offered for purchase as it would require too much tooling/ time to build for all the past models and seat configurations.

As for the normal carpet box. Its pretty generic... its a step. It does not bounce around or anything like that. On my puma it seals the cooler quite well and holds ice pretty good. In hard rain water can get into it as it is not designed what so ever to keep rain out.

I believe a company called grind 5 is making aftermarket boxes. You can look them up on the face book owners group, I have seen a few people get them and like they but they are pricey
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast