Oil tank half full again

2006 Mercury Optimax 150 model# 1B434225

The engine oil tank is half full and I'm getting the 4 beep warning again.

I checked the remote tank and it made a noise as I took the cap off indicating it was under pressure.
    I wiped the pickup screen to make sure it was clean and reinstalled the caps on the remote tank.
    I then loosened the plug on the engine mounted oil tank and ran the engine, but it would not fill the tank back up.

I'm not sure what to check next. The remote tank is only about 1/3 full, but I would think it should have plenty to keep the pickup in the oil.

Help please!

There is a crankcase check valve that is most likely bad. It is easy to replace. It could be an air leak anywhere in the oils feed lines though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Does the pressure in the remote tank come from the crankcase? Mine seems to be getting pressure because I hear the noise when I remove the cap.
    Where is that check valve? Is it hard to reach?

4. Member
    Follow the two tubes going from the remote oil tank to the motor. One tube connects to the reservoir oil tank and the other tube connects to the crankcase check valve your want to replace

Rick

5. Member
    I can't find a check valve. My manual says the check valves are in the fittings at the injection ports. There is an inline filter near the engine oil tank that I'm probably going to replace. I did find the brass fitting between the filter and the engine oil tank was leaking, but it didn't seem to help when I plugged it.

Where's Don?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay's snake View Post
    Where's Don?
    Following posts in the correct forum.

Try posting this in the 2.5L forum (what your engine is).

Do you have a genuine Mercury service manual? If so, you will find the information in section 3C and a clear diagram showing the check valve (called a fitting in my manual). It is item #12 on pg 3C-7 and item "f" in the picture on pg 3C-8.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I found the problem. I removed and cleaned that brass fitting and now it does not leak and the oil tank filled up again. Yay!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Following posts in the correct forum.

Try posting this in the 2.5L forum (what your engine is).

Do you have a genuine Mercury service manual? If so, you will find the information in section 3C and a clear diagram showing the check valve (called a fitting in my manual). It is item #12 on pg 3C-7 and item "f" in the picture on pg 3C-8.
    Oops, I did not realize I was in the wrong forum.
    I do have a manual, but I says it is for 2000 models. Is there much difference between 2000 and 2006. No idea why I did not receive the correct year?

9. Member
    Possible, though I don't know for a fact. Service manuals match serial number ranges, so need to check your manual to confirm it's correct for your engine's serial number.

Good you corrected the problem, but if it were me, I'd order a replacement check valve so it's on hand when this one fails again which I suspect will happen.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax