Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

super charger on a GMC 5.3 L83

Hey
    Anyone add a Supercharger to their 2014+ GMC 5.3 and tow with it? Thinking of this conversion and how it will effect towing. I tow a 20' lund about 3500 LBS total.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    5.3 should already two that boat like it’s not even there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Def tow better but at a serious cash setback. Trade what you got for a diesel or just stick with it. What part of the 5.3 are you unhappy with. Constant shifting or trying to cruise the interstate at 75mph?

Thats a really heavy Lowe I'd say.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    I don't know how I pull my heavy ranger with a half ton. Thinking of upgrading to a semi
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

You will have to be careful with fuel and I would probably have two tunes or have the tuner use the timing tables in tow mode to take some timing out so it won’t knock when towing. With 3500 you don’t really need to use tow mode for trans safety so he could also put the shift tables in tow mode closer to non tow mode if you don’t like the shifting characteristics associated with tow haul
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

7. Member
    It tows the boat just fine other than the drop in gas. I want the blower for overall driving and was just wondering how it would handle the boat. I tow interstate a lot, keep to 77 MPH. Trans shifting is actually better at 77 than at 70 IMO.
    Ches.

8. Member
    If you want extra umph then find you a truck with a 6.2. IMOP add on things like blowers and turbos sound good on paper but always give owners fits. Never work like they should in all conditions. Voids warranties, wears on tranny. You never get it back on resale. Dealers wont take as a trade. You get the hint

9. Member
    Swap your gears for 4.10s. That's what i did and it's like night and day towing now.
    Last edited by LuistLTZ; 12-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.

10. Member
    Our 'Burb has the 5.3 with 175K and it still tows our 24' TT or our boat just fine. Knew I would be going slower up the passes from the get go but will cruise at 70-80 easily with either one. Got the 5.3 by 'accident' (was looking for a bigger engine) but would get it again. The miles per gallon is good for a larger vehicle. We don't always tow with it and the ride is SOOOOO much better with the 1/2 ton chassis. Sort of glides down the highway.
    If you put a huffer on ANYTHING, unless it was specifically designed to operate that way, you will lessen the life all parts. Even then it just adds another componant to wear out. I am in the camp of 'If you want more power get a different engine'. I would have a diesel but the wife is dead set against it for the smell and noise. The new ones are better so I may talk her into at least looking at one...

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Our 'Burb has the 5.3 with 175K and it still tows our 24' TT or our boat just fine. Knew I would be going slower up the passes from the get go but will cruise at 70-80 easily with either one. Got the 5.3 by 'accident' (was looking for a bigger engine) but would get it again. The miles per gallon is good for a larger vehicle. We don't always tow with it and the ride is SOOOOO much better with the 1/2 ton chassis. Sort of glides down the highway.
    If you put a huffer on ANYTHING, unless it was specifically designed to operate that way, you will lessen the life all parts. Even then it just adds another componant to wear out. I am in the camp of 'If you want more power get a different engine'. I would have a diesel but the wife is dead set against it for the smell and noise. The new ones are better so I may talk her into at least looking at one...
    Not to hijack but the new Chevy diesels are quiet and smooth.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    Thanks All, I appreciate the Feedback. Gave me a lot to think about, especially 1BADAIR's comments about different tunes, no way I want to go that route. Then there are guys on every site like TDT91 that post stuff that has nothing to do with the question asked, I guess they just want to increase their post count or don't have any relevant to say.
    Again, thanks for posting.

Ches.

13. Member
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-delivers.html

This might be cheaper if you want a gasoline powered whistler under your foot.

14. Scraps
    Don't see how you would need it. I went from a 5.4l 2001 Ford F150 to a 5.3l 2011 Yukon and was pleasant pleased with the towing abilities of the 5.3l. Not sure how the computer is setup on the 2014, but I retuned my 5.3l, 6-spd tranny and engine, and it runs way better than it did with that stupid AFM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Have to have the hp to be first to the lake. Or BBQ lol.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Ha, yeah that's it, just want to increase my post count. I think my post was relevant but it must have been over your head. Carry on and go get your F650 so you can pull your tin rig around.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

17. Member
    I think many of y'all are missing his question, he wants the blower for "normal" (non-towing) drivng. Sounds like he wants to somewhat hot rod his motor for fun driving, but would like to know if doing so would effect his towing, good or bad. He doesn't need better towing capability with the blower but was wondering if it would change the way it tows. Or cause issues with the blower, etc.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I think many of y'all are missing his question, he wants the blower for "normal" (non-towing) drivng. Sounds like he wants to somewhat hot rod his motor for fun driving, but would like to know if doing so would effect his towing, good or bad. He doesn't need better towing capability with the blower but was wondering if it would change the way it tows. Or cause issues with the blower, etc.
    A supercharger steals power from the top end to put it on the low end.
    nothing else matters.​

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A supercharger steals power from the top end to put it on the low end.

Im sorry but that is ridiculous.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 87buick View Post
    Im sorry but that is ridiculous.
    But it is a fact when comparing to a turbo. SC does very little at max RPM, which is where a turbo shines.
    Last edited by CatFan; 12-07-2017 at 04:37 AM.
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast