Talon Replacement Cable

I'm looking for a diagram showing the cable routing around the drum and pulleys and can't find one anywhere. I had a lower pulley fall off into the lake. I can only guess that one of the c-clips fell off and allowed the shaft and pulley to come out. When I tried raising it with all the slack it trashed my cables muck like a backlash. I ordered and received the new parts directly from MK but they did not provide an installation guide for the cable.
    I called MK tech support yesterday and they said they only provide the routing to ASC and not to the public. Of course I'm frustrated that they'll sale parts directly to the public but won't even provide a single page line drawing.
    I have a 2011 8' Talon that is well out of warranty. Yes, I'll probably have to take it to an ASC but it can't be that difficult to spool the new cable with a diagram. Much the same way as replacing an automobile serpentine belt when you can't make out the sticker drawing under the hood.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Doesn't even compare with replacing a serpentine belt. Believe me, I've done both. you have to have special tools to hold the tension pulley and pull it back after you get both cables on the drum and routed around the pulleys. There is also a special tool for holding the cable on the drum while you're installing the tension pulley. Knowing how to do it, and do it right, is around a 3hr job as the entire talon has to be disassembled.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Thanks for the response, I'll take it to an ASC. I'm just a little frustrated with MK for not putting a note, asterisk with footnotes next to the cable replacement kit part number in the owners manual telling the consumer basically what you told me above, especially if they're going to sale the part to the general public.

Have you heard of any issues with the "C or E" clips coming off the pulley shafts? That seems to be what started this whole problem. The bottom pulley on the 2nd stage completely vanished. Is there a better way to secure these?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basstoon19xs View Post
    Have you heard of any issues with the "C or E" clips coming off the pulley shafts? That seems to be what started this whole problem. The bottom pulley on the 2nd stage completely vanished. Is there a better way to secure these?
    I've not seen those issues. the biggest issue I've seen is the gib screws scraping the stages and causing a metal on metal sound when retracting/deploying. The e clips are stainless so even brackish water shouldn't cause them to deteriorate. After the years of use yours has had, sounds like something happened to the clip itself.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]