stratos experts step inside...

So....my question is what is considered the "best" hull stratos has produced?

I ask cause it seems with all manufacturers there is 1 maybe 2 in certain years that is heralded as "the one"....the unicorn...the mythical creature.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

The 201P has always been considered one of the best hulls out there. The 295 is a real nice hull as well for a 19'-5'' boat.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

ASX would be your unicorn
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=819954

1992 started the 295/294 hull design
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=86335

As for the 201 hull, good luck that one still makes my head hurt sorting out between it and the SS builds over the years
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=83790
    Last edited by 76Champ; 11-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

The mid to late 90's Pro XL hulls (201/295/285) were some of the best of the decade, and still one of the best all these years later! Quick, fast, stable while fishing, great handling and smooth in rough water. Ill own another one day without a doubt, even if it's just a second/fun boat
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 76Champ View Post
    As for the 201 hull, good luck that one still makes my head hurt sorting out between it and the SS builds over the years
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=83790
    This also made my head hurt.

I literally just bought a boat today. It is a 1999 Stratos. The decals on the outside of it say "201 Pro Elite". However, the coast guard sticker with the engine rating and the max weight capacities has "201XL STRATOS" printed on it. What the hell do I have here?

I combed through that post about 201s the best I could and it left me all twisted up. Is this boat that I bought one of the good ones? Or one of the turds? Go ahead and break my heart if you need to. I can handle it.

I'm sure someone will correct me, BUT if i'm right you have a 1999 201 Pro XL "Elite" package which was supposed to be the ready to roll tourney set up vs standard 201 model. So it got some extra bells and whistles. OR someone put elite sticker on it lol. As far as i'm aware, every 201 is a good boat. They've made them wider/faster/stabler over the years but i don't know of any turkeys within the run.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    This also made my head hurt.

I literally just bought a boat today. It is a 1999 Stratos. The decals on the outside of it say "201 Pro Elite". However, the coast guard sticker with the engine rating and the max weight capacities has "201XL STRATOS" printed on it. What the hell do I have here?

I combed through that post about 201s the best I could and it left me all twisted up. Is this boat that I bought one of the good ones? Or one of the turds? Go ahead and break my heart if you need to. I can handle it.
    You have a good one Post some pics if you can, love those boats!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

I don't think the XL models existed under OMC.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I don't think the XL models existed under OMC.
    I think you right ....in 1997 all of them was Pro Elite models under OMC

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    I think you right ....in 1997 all of them was Pro Elite models under OMC

omc got stratos in 87 or 88,the xl hull came alive in 93 i believe,the first year of the rounded
    bottom hull.The xl was made until 96.I have a 96 295xldc.In 97 it was the elite series,i have a 295
    of that year also.Only difference i see is different dash set up and the top cap hand rail is gone
    and flattened.then the extremes came along,pro star and the xl magnums etc.and the bankruptcy.
    then the xl was re introduced,and the evo was born etc.I have no experience running anything newer
    then a 97 201 elite.So anything from 88ish up to the bankruptcy is an omc boat.Probably not
    all the info there but its the best i remember.lol

disclaimer.I am no expert.
    Last edited by hulapopr; 12-04-2017 at 12:12 AM.

11. Member
    Asx or 201 platform,,my asx is fast as hell,my 21xl great handling boat
    Outlaw Bass

12. Member
    My second stratos is a 201 evolution. Love this boat pretty quick handles great and I love the reconfigured top cap compared to my old 201.

I can't comment on the older Stratos Hulls, but the 201 Pro XL was hard to beat. Very good ride and excellent top speeds. I had a 2006 and a 2008

14. Member
    20SS extreme..... Well its what I have so thats what I tell myself.

15. Banned
    200 Pro XL wasn't a slouch either... The sports car editions, fast, nimble and a good fishing platform... Dan

You had a slow sports car Dan
    I can't compare all the hull models but I can say that I am still happy with my 08 201XL. It may not be the best at anything but, it is just a good all purpose hull.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

17. Banned
    What Brad??? That 201 will run like a scalded dog... My 200 would run 76ish gps and Brad's 201 would run away from it... Dan

18. Moderator
    The first 201's were battle tanks. Heavy boats that were powered by 150's a lot of the time (max for BASS tournaments at the time). Some of the best riding boats out there, but not the fastest even with max HP.

The new 201's are also great boats, all the way through the Evolution hulls. I've driven or owned about every iteration of the 201. There were some quirks to the hulls that you had to learn to understand. But overall, fast, dry, great riding hulls. I've driven a 201 Evolution with a Hydro-Tec modified Yamaha to 87+. I've owned two 250 HPDI powered 201 XL's. One clipped 80 with just me. The other would only muster 78'ish.

The 200 is one of my favorite hulls Stratos produced. It was 3-4 mph faster than a 201 with the same power plants (225 H.O. E-tec's for comparison). It handled great and I thought fished great. I only wished it would have had a max HP of 250 instead of 225. The hull would hold the power. I have been in a 200 with a Phase III Hydro-Tec Yamaha on the back at 92 on the GPS. The boat did great at those speeds. Mine was an '06 with 225 H.O. E-TEC. It's best was 81. I considered it a Corvette at the time. Everyone that rode in mine loved it and were amazed at the speeds I would run and how well it handled.

The 294 is an awesome boat for the money. I've had one of those as well. It runs very efficient and is faster with a 200 on it than most other boats with 225's or larger. With just me, it was a 76-77 mph boat. With a partner it was a 73+ mph boat. The only real drawback to this boat is it's width. It's just a little too narrow up front.

I know a couple of folks have mentioned the SS boats ('99-'01) and the the XL boats ('01-'02) that were built. I may be off a year or so, but that's close. The SS boats had their issues. Unfortunately this was a time where it seemed new ideas were brought to market without a lot of testing. The hulls on a couple of the models of the SS boats had significant enough issues that Stratos replaced them for customers. They also had the electronic gremlins with Stratos' onboard computer the VIEW system. The XL boats were a definite step in the right direction, but still a step behind the 295, 200, and 201 that came back out in '03. The 200 was brought over from Javelin (as well as the 285).

Speaking of the 285, that was my first new boat. I ordered an '04 with a 150 Johnson. For an 18'r, I don't think you could have found a better one.

The ASX was a cool boat that was ahead of it's time in some aspects (lots of Carbon Fiber). BUT, if it was that great of a boat, they would have built and sold more than 100. They actually had a little trouble selling all 100 they did build (or maybe they ended the build early due to lack of sales...can't remember exactly how that played out). At the time ('03), it was listed at $50k. People laughed at it then, but $50k is almost considered a great deal when you look at the new Ranger 521 Icon edition at over $100k.

There's a lot more details to get into with all of the different models and owners over the years, but that's a pretty good summary.

So, which is the 'BEST'? The one you like the most. From a best for Stratos standpoint, I'd say the 201 was far and away the money maker for them for many years.
    Jason Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Phillips View Post
    The first 201's were battle tanks. Heavy boats that were powered by 150's a lot of the time (max for BASS tournaments at the time). Some of the best riding boats out there, but not the fastest even with max HP.

The new 201's are also great boats, all the way through the Evolution hulls. I've driven or owned about every iteration of the 201. There were some quirks to the hulls that you had to learn to understand. But overall, fast, dry, great riding hulls. I've driven a 201 Evolution with a Hydro-Tec modified Yamaha to 87+. I've owned two 250 HPDI powered 201 XL's. One clipped 80 with just me. The other would only muster 78'ish.

The 200 is one of my favorite hulls Stratos produced. It was 3-4 mph faster than a 201 with the same power plants (225 H.O. E-tec's for comparison). It handled great and I thought fished great. I only wished it would have had a max HP of 250 instead of 225. The hull would hold the power. I have been in a 200 with a Phase III Hydro-Tec Yamaha on the back at 92 on the GPS. The boat did great at those speeds. Mine was an '06 with 225 H.O. E-TEC. It's best was 81. I considered it a Corvette at the time. Everyone that rode in mine loved it and were amazed at the speeds I would run and how well it handled.

The 294 is an awesome boat for the money. I've had one of those as well. It runs very efficient and is faster with a 200 on it than most other boats with 225's or larger. With just me, it was a 76-77 mph boat. With a partner it was a 73+ mph boat. The only real drawback to this boat is it's width. It's just a little too narrow up front.

I know a couple of folks have mentioned the SS boats ('99-'01) and the the XL boats ('01-'02) that were built. I may be off a year or so, but that's close. The SS boats had their issues. Unfortunately this was a time where it seemed new ideas were brought to market without a lot of testing. The hulls on a couple of the models of the SS boats had significant enough issues that Stratos replaced them for customers. They also had the electronic gremlins with Stratos' onboard computer the VIEW system. The XL boats were a definite step in the right direction, but still a step behind the 295, 200, and 201 that came back out in '03. The 200 was brought over from Javelin (as well as the 285).

Speaking of the 285, that was my first new boat. I ordered an '04 with a 150 Johnson. For an 18'r, I don't think you could have found a better one.

The ASX was a cool boat that was ahead of it's time in some aspects (lots of Carbon Fiber). BUT, if it was that great of a boat, they would have built and sold more than 100. They actually had a little trouble selling all 100 they did build (or maybe they ended the build early due to lack of sales...can't remember exactly how that played out). At the time ('03), it was listed at $50k. People laughed at it then, but $50k is almost considered a great deal when you look at the new Ranger 521 Icon edition at over $100k.

There's a lot more details to get into with all of the different models and owners over the years, but that's a pretty good summary.

So, which is the 'BEST'? The one you like the most. From a best for Stratos standpoint, I'd say the 201 was far and away the money maker for them for many years.

Very good post!