Thread: Ever Been In?

Ever Been In?

I posted my story on another thread in the lounge but it fits here as well

Ice fishing about 15 years ago. I went to a great spot that holds a lot of Walleye. I got there and nobody had been on the ice yet. It takes some crazy cold weather to make it freeze well. We had a bunch of cold and then we got snow which slows down the ice making. This spot is 27' deep on a river bend with current that churns. The bank to get down is very steep with chunks of concrete so I tied a rope to my truck and used that to get down safely and not break my neck. I decided to drill my way out to be safe. I stood on the edge of the bank and drilled my first hole. Measured 7". Stepped out another 5' and drilled again. Still 7". Stepped out another 5' and still at 7". Stepped out about 10' this time and set my buckets down and set the blades on the ice to drill. That's when I felt the sinking feeling. Before I could even move I was in. All alone and nobody knew where I was. I had a thought of getting my life jacket that day but it was in the boat which was tarped up and I didn't wanna mess with it. When I came up I still had my auger in my hand. Placed that on the ice and tried getting my chest up on the ice. As soon as I got up on it I broke through again. Now I'm thinking that I was gonna die as I had all my Carhart gear on and boots and everything and the more I kicked the heavier everything got. I'm thinking I only have lone more chance at this. I got my chest up on the ice again and kicked with everything I had to get my stomach on the ice. Then I rolled out of the hole. Gathered myself and gear and got back to the bank. I don't think I would've been able to climb back up that bank without that rope. Half way up my body was locking up. I got to my truck and stripped down to my undies and drove home. Walked into my house in my wet skivvies.

Where I went through at was about 20' deep. Somehow I didn't lose any gear or anything. The open water above this hole had washed all the snow into the deep hole and created slush below the ice. As I walked out towards the current I encountered this 1/2" ice with slush below it. Near the bank the slush had froze into ice. I'm still nervous about ice now. Anytime I'm out at that place it makes me nervous as hell.

2. Member
    Glad you made it out! That is one crazy story Sir!!!!!

3. Member
    I've only managed to put one leg through right at the bank under a snow drift.

Yup 3 times on a quad once in Michigan during the Midwest Open on Wamplers, once in Minnesota on Winnibagosh and once in Wisconsin on Big Muskego. On foot I fell through only once on the Winnebago system.

5. Member
    Been through several times but only once was it over my head, now when I go through even a few feet of water it scares the crap out of me. Now I always tell people " I've been wet before and I'll be wet again." My friends always make me go first.

Nothing as bad as your story, but 3 times through and it was never over my head. Always near shore in waist or chest deep. Now I have the Striker Climate suit that floats, and....I wait an extra week before I go out every year to give the ice an extra inch or two.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Only once. It was the last trip of the year on a 50-degree day with the water level rising and ice pulling away from the shore all day and we came in at dusk. I don't remember if I was wearing my waders or not. Water was up to our waste when we fell in. Wasn't a big deal.

8. Member
    Went in about 30 years ago on a farm pond in Nebraska. Went completely under in about 15' of water. I can remember like it was yesterday, looking up and seeing my buddy's arm extended down through the hole I fell through. I grabbed his arm and he somehow jerked me up through that hole. Was about 100 yards to the truck and everything was stiffened up by the time I got there. Stripped naked and luckily he had a pair of insulated coveralls in the truck I put on. Scared the carp out of me.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

9. Member
    went thru once twenty five years ago ice broke two times when I tried to climb out. Scariest times of my life. last year was the first time I have been out since.
    Last edited by Shawn 202; 12-01-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling

10. Member
    Well I fell through as a kid in about 3 ft of water and that scared the s*** out of me. Ever since then I have been good until a few years ago when we went smelting on a frozen brackish water river with a tidal change. Ended up breaking through next to the bank during mid tide and all I can say is thank god for my buddy who grabbed my arm as I went down our else I would be pushing daisies at this point. The tidal current had me sideways in a second...

11. Member
    Haven't been through yet but realize there is always the chance especially when I chance it. Call me a chicken $h!t but I typically wait a good week after everyone else starts fishing a lake before I venture on it just to be safe. This was when I was up to 275#. Now being down at 220# I might feel safer going out a little bit earlier. I also have a hard rule that I refuse to fish on any body of water that has active current flowing through it.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI