Foot well for Ultrex on 2015 Z7

Looking to upgrade to the Ultrex but as you know the 2015 Z7 foot well tapers and the Ultrex foot control will not fit. Has anyone cut the opening bigger and installed a larger foot well. Any photos would help. It looks like there is only thin fiberglass on the bow, and cutting it out may cause some structural issues. Any information is appreciated.

So there are a few threads on here about z boats and the ultrex pedal. Just look back a couple pages and you will see some easy quick fixes and some permanent solutions but no one has cut out the exhisting foot well yet. But as I'm sitting in my z8 right now I'm thinking what I will do "when I get an ultrex" is take off the stock bow pannel, make a new one out of 1/4" aluminum but making it flat instead of raised and adding the footwell forward about 4" ( almost like basscats) but not all the way forward. Then add to the heel of the current footwell giving me more room to dance with a but seat in.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=765934

Just got my ultrex and will probably go this route but just get it powder coated and screw it down without carpet
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

4. Member
    I think I will cut it out also and go with the R&R Minnkota tray. 9 3/4 x 13 x 4 deep.

5. Member
    That might be hard to install on a z series
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvan View Post
    I think I will cut it out also and go with the R&R Minnkota tray. 9 3/4 x 13 x 4 deep.
    You can try, but it won't work unless you considerably alter the R&R tray and/or the front panel. If it were as simple as buying an aftermarket tray then you wouldn't have needed to start a new thread. This subject has been a recurring theme since the Ultrex was released. Enduro67's thread is the only plausible solution to the the problem.

Maybe Fishon would work with us on a group discount considering the Z-7,8,9 guys are hosed if we get an Ultrex.

I have a 2009 Z7 and peeled back the carpet to shave enough fiberglass to make it fit.

8. Member
    What did you use to shave off the fiberglass?

9. Member
    How much fiberglass did you "shave" off? What are the djmensions?

Quote Originally Posted by br5499 View Post
    What did you use to shave off the fiberglass?
    I used a small Skill Saw to start it and jig saw. Only cut to depth of well and used a chisel and re-glued the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by lancons23 View Post
    How much fiberglass did you "shave" off? What are the djmensions?
    About 3/8th on each and only the back 4 inches.

12. Member
    Thanks I have to do this to my Z-9

Here are some more pics and dimensions.

14. Member
    If you shaved the sides of the foot well what was left to attach the carpet to?

Quote Originally Posted by rvan View Post
    If you shaved the sides of the foot well what was left to attach the carpet to?
    It did not remove all the material. I shaved the sides not cut it out.

16. Member
    Sorry to keep beating the dead horse but I can see I am not the only one not clearly getting it. You didn't cut thru the side of the football? How did you shave it with a jigsaw? Thanks for putting up with us slow ones who don't get it....lol

17. Member
    Say the foot tray is an inch thick (not sure how thick it really is) he only "cut" or "shaved" 3/8" off. Dont go all the way through with the blade or bit.

My only concern would be how thick the material actually is. You dont want to cut it so thin that it weakens
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

You can grind or saw out what little bit of material needed to make it fit. You not compromising the whole foot well. I did this January 6th and fish 2-3 times a week and have no problem. It is thin and I did make a small hole in the back corner when I chiseled the sliver. Should have used my dremel to cut the bottom flush.

Here are pics from underneath, if i used a dremel i would of not broke through and you are shaving about 4" in length from zero to about 3/8th.