Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Those are two good choices for sure. Just a couple of things about Phoenix will probably prevent me from ever buying one. First is the use of plastic bow panels and next is the stripe on the side. I like the fact that Basscat does not use plastic on the consoles and bow panels and they just have a more solid feel to me. I really like that both are smaller companies and have great reputations with their customer service. I don't think you can go wrong with either and I wish I was shopping for a new one.

2. Member
    No real help here but my next boat will be another skeeter zx225 (I love my current one), or a basscat caracal that boat is beautiful.

BassCat builds the best boat on the market. They build a performance hull that will handle anything you can throw at it, and the quality is unsurpassed, as is the customer service. You will not be passed by many boats in the same class...other than an A boat or B boat.

The model choices depend on how you fish. If you feel you must have a really wide deck, the Caracal or Lynx would be hard to beat. If you want a boat that is like driving a fine sports car, the Eyra. The Cougar or Puma will run in the 70's with no problem. The PII is another great boat and will run in the low 70's all day with a 200 on back, it's just not as wide up front as some of the other models. The new Classic is a very nice choice for the price point. I have a Sabre FTD Advantage Elite with a SHO 175. For an 18' boat, it can't be beat. But I'm not a big tournament fisherman, and fish alone 90% of the time. Still, there's room for two without an issue. Drives like a hot sports car and handles rough water just fine. You can't go wrong with any BassCat you choose, and you will never regret the purchase.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Don't currently run one, but I'd go with the Phoenix of the 2. The rough water ride is 2nd to none and I've been in most, including A's and B's. The last person you want your advice from is a bunch of prostaffers. Ride in both and decide for yourself. Everybody has different tastes and opinions.

5. Member
    If I'm looking for a new boat there's only two in the conversation . Allison and Bullet . The two best all around boats on the market,fit and finish second to none , best rides on the water, fastest on the water . Extrodinary customer service as good or better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kybluebullet View Post
    If I'm looking for a new boat there's only two in the conversation . Allison and Bullet . The two best all around boats on the market,fit and finish second to none , best rides on the water, fastest on the water . Extrodinary customer service as good or better than anyone else.
    Preach it brother!! I’m with ya!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Banned
    19 trx is a nice ride

I am definitely bias but get a BCB. You have Fredricks Outdoors and Browns Outboards not too far away. Call them!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    I would go look at 10 year old used boats in the brands you are considering. That will tell you a lot about what you are buying.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I would go look at 10 year old used boats in the brands you are considering. That will tell you a lot about what you are buying.
    Not unless both boats were used or abused to the same degree. If one sat outside, was used heavily in tournaments, and has 800 hours, it is going to certainly look different than a garage queen with 200 hours on it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Very good advise !!
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

Obvious BCB bias here.... I don't always understand or like their design decisions, but I know that they have a really good reason for the choices they make. The company...and often Rick Pierce himself..is quick to weigh in with info here and on their forum. I've really appreciated the culture and dedication to quality around the brand.

Finally, you mention tournament load...BCB is the only brand I'm aware of that has tournament incentives for any boat they've ever made. You can get tournament rewards fishing out of a boat from 1974...lol. There's a registration fee for used boats, but the fact that they support all customers and not just those with new-3 year old boats is pretty impressive.
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

13. Member
    I've owned 20 Bass Boats in my lifetime. I bought a Bullet 2 years ago and will never again own anything other than a Bullet!
    JMO
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by QuickBullet View Post
    I've owned 20 Bass Boats in my lifetime. I bought a Bullet 2 years ago and will never again own anything other than a Bullet!
    JMO
    WHY ? Is it for speed , I've heard they are fast , but skinny . Is the finish real nice ?, wiring do they do it better than all the others ? I'm not messing with you I'm just curious .

Vexus will be showing their new boats at the Classic in March.....
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

16. Member
    I have a friend who owns a cat and its a fantastic boat. Rides good and is fast as well. Fishes really well too. I always get excited when he asks me to go fishin. If I was going to buy a new boat though I would probably at least go look at Stroker. They are nice boats too.
    Respect no wake zones, Evinrude guys need a place to race too ;)

The triangle wells are genius. I have never lost a fish in them. They are easy to use and very deep. The water does not slush around like a square well in rough water. The fish coming out of the well are always lively. They may look odd but once you try them you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    WHY ? Is it for speed , I've heard they are fast , but skinny . Is the finish real nice ?, wiring do they do it better than all the others ? I'm not messing with you I'm just curious .
    Speed for one, but the ride is like a Cadillac. Finish.....is unreal. Go on the Bullet page in the sticky’s and many have listed pics of their Bullets. Skinny, no. It’s not the fat, wide ranger deck (due to its ballistic shape), but it has plenty of room and it’s very long. Besides, when I catch one, I don’t run across the deck. I go from front to back on a deck. You’ll get a lot of people dogging Bullets and truth be known, 99% never even rode in one. I know everyone is going to take up for their brand and that’s normal, you’re proud of what you own. I’ve owned about a half a dozen brands in my life and rode in many more, but I can guarantee you one thing, I’ll never buy anything but a Bullet. If they quit making Bullets and I can’t find one (which is highly unlikely) then I’ll get an Allison.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Speed for one, but the ride is like a Cadillac. Finish.....is unreal. Go on the Bullet page in the sticky’s and many have listed pics of their Bullets. Skinny, no. It’s not the fat, wide ranger deck (due to its ballistic shape), but it has plenty of room and it’s very long. Besides, when I catch one, I don’t run across the deck. I go from front to back on a deck. You’ll get a lot of people dogging Bullets and truth be known, 99% never even rode in one. I know everyone is going to take up for their brand and that’s normal, you’re proud of what you own. I’ve owned about a half a dozen brands in my life and rode in many more, but I can guarantee you one thing, I’ll never buy anything but a Bullet. If they quit making Bullets and I can’t find one (which is highly unlikely) then I’ll get an Allison.
    I agree!!!

ALSO I might mention that a good way to find out about the quality of "most anything" is to check out prices on the used market.
    When you see so many boats that are 10 years old still bringing over 25K and 15 year old's selling at 15-25K then that should tell you something about quality.
    Find somebody and go for a ride in a 21'10"!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I have owned Skeeter and Stratos bass boats....this boat is by far the best bass boat I've owned as well. The ride is insanely good. I was going 55-60 in about 2' chop in the wind at local lake here. I couldn't believe it and my buddy riding with me couldn't believe it. Didn't even get wet. I have a xrs. I took tour of boat factory before my purchase. I was very impressed in the boat building process. The paint job was pretty awesome too. Only issue I've seen with the boat is the gel coat on the front starboard side slightly thicker than other side of same area. Thats about it though. I'd rather have lil extra thick gel coat than no gel coat...haha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast