Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Football jig rods

Hi all,

Wondering if you have some good recommendations for a football jig rod. Mostly I'd be throwing 3/4 oz football jigs in 15-25 feet of water. Looking for something that is very sensitive so I can feel the terrain and snap out of any weeds that I may need to. I fish mostly natural weedy lakes in MN. Looking for something in the $300 or under. Though if there is one that's close to that I can always take advantage of a sale.

Thanks

2. Member
    Megabass orochi XX extreme mission. May still be able to get them on sale from the tackle trap.

3. Member
    Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS 7'4" H frog rod is actually what I use up here. I'm in Farmington and fish all around, and that rod has worked great so far in any situation and in use 3/4oz 90% of the time. The MB Orochi XX Perfect Pitch is what I used before but it was a bit short for that personally, the amart flipping rod was more suited to me in that lineup.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kstephes033 View Post
    Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS 7'4" H frog rod is actually what I use up here. I'm in Farmington and fish all around, and that rod has worked great so far in any situation and in use 3/4oz 90% of the time. The MB Orochi XX Perfect Pitch is what I used before but it was a bit short for that personally, the amart flipping rod was more suited to me in that lineup.
    First off, I'm just up the road. Second I actually just ordered the frog rod from daiwa for using as a frog rod. Have you used other daiwa elite rods, if so what are your thoughts and which ones have you used. Thanks

5. Member
    2017 megabass destroyer valdiva. I have this rod and it’s awesome for big football jigs. It’s $400 but I think tackle supply depot has 20% off megabass rods right now. I’d give tackle trap a call too, maybe they can hook you up. That’s where mine came from

6. Member
    G Loomis NRX894 for me with those weights. I know it is more $$$ than you were talking, but it is worth it.

7. Member
    Check out Kistlers, they have pick your own deal right now! I use the h3 7"3 heavy or 7"6 heavy

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    2017 megabass destroyer valdiva. I have this rod and it’s awesome for big football jigs. It’s $400 but I think tackle supply depot has 20% off megabass rods right now. I’d give tackle trap a call too, maybe they can hook you up. That’s where mine came from
    I just bought a 2017 Destroyer FMJ, I was throwing 3/4oz FB jigs on it this weekend. It's a sweet rod, only reason I didn't recommend it, is because of the price. For $300 the Orochi XX is a damn good rod too. TW has them on sale, and some of them you actually get an additonal 20% off for black friday. I was thinking about getting a new jerkbait rod, they are down to $175 right now.

I have a custom built for that heavy of stuff since most factory rods heavy enough to handle jigs that big are too heavy, but I would look at the Megabass Perfect Pitch. It's a 7 power and light for what it is. Tackle Trap has it discounted to 250 ish now.

10. Member
    I would give a hard look at the new G. Loomis IMX Pro series of rods! These new ones are a lot better than the previous models. I believe they're coming in around $390. If you want something under $300 I would look at a Megabass Orochi or a Dobyns Champion HP.

11. Member
    Just picked up a perfect pitch from the Tackle Trap.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I just bought a 2017 Destroyer FMJ, I was throwing 3/4oz FB jigs on it this weekend. It's a sweet rod, only reason I didn't recommend it, is because of the price. For $300 the Orochi XX is a damn good rod too. TW has them on sale, and some of them you actually get an additonal 20% off for black friday. I was thinking about getting a new jerkbait rod, they are down to $175 right now.
    What rod is down to $175 right now? I just checked TW and they don’t have the jerkbait special listed
    Last edited by KMcClure; 11-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.

The ALX Rods Expert Series Hair Jig rod has become REALLY popular for football jigs... it says MedHvy - but it has a ton of backbone and a really nice tip on it. Very crisp feel.
    http://www.alxrods.com/product/ben-parker-hairjig/

Model Name: Ben Parker Hair Jig
    SKU: XP90HJ
    UPC: 855717004380

Rod Specs:

• Line: 10 – 25#
    • Lure: 3/8 – 1 1/4 oz
    • Length: 7’6″
    • Power: MedHeavy
    • Action: Fast

Detailed Specs:

• Average Rod Weight: 5.2 oz
    • Handle Length: 10.75″
    • Number of Guides: 11 (2 Double Foot, 9 Single Foot)
    • Kigan Master Hand ZDH 3D stripper guides with Z Series 3D running guides with braid resistant inserts
    • Mid Micro guide train for all around fishability
    • Premium one piece exposed blank reel seat for comfort and control
    • Handbuilt in OUR Aiken, South Carolina rod building plant

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    What rod is down to $175 right now? I just checked TW and they don’t have the jerkbait special listed
    Sorry, its the fast moving special, I was thinking oneten special which is the destroyer model. Add it to your cart... $176.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Check out Kistlers, they have pick your own deal right now! I use the h3 7"3 heavy or 7"6 heavy
    x2 I won't say my H3 7'3 is quite as good as my NRX 894 but it is close enough and was on sale for like $200 as of yesterday
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Fb jigging is my favorite technique and I build custom rods. That said, I throw my jigs on a alx zolo series dragger.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    i second this. I use the 7’3” Helium 3 as well. Great stick.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    G Loomis NRX894 for me with those weights. I know it is more $$$ than you were talking, but it is worth it.
    This one. Ive seen em used in the $3-325 range. Best jig rod ive ever put my hands on and i tried a bunch to find the right one
    They aint got hands, set the hook

19. Member
    Dobyns dx 745c is a balanced jig rod that is sensitive.

20. Member
    NRX 894 or NRX 873. Doesn't get better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast