Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    The ALX Rods Expert Series Hair Jig rod has become REALLY popular for football jigs... it says MedHvy - but it has a ton of backbone and a really nice tip on it. Very crisp feel.
    http://www.alxrods.com/product/ben-parker-hairjig/

Model Name: Ben Parker Hair Jig
    SKU: XP90HJ
    UPC: 855717004380

Rod Specs:

• Line: 10 – 25#
    • Lure: 3/8 – 1 1/4 oz
    • Length: 7’6″
    • Power: MedHeavy
    • Action: Fast

Detailed Specs:

• Average Rod Weight: 5.2 oz
    • Handle Length: 10.75″
    • Number of Guides: 11 (2 Double Foot, 9 Single Foot)
    • Kigan Master Hand ZDH 3D stripper guides with Z Series 3D running guides with braid resistant inserts
    • Mid Micro guide train for all around fishability
    • Premium one piece exposed blank reel seat for comfort and control
    • Handbuilt in OUR Aiken, South Carolina rod building plant

Alex, what blank is this built on?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Megabass orochi XX extreme mission. May still be able to get them on sale from the tackle trap.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Alex, what blank is this built on?
    One that we have made for the EXPERT line. Don't really have a "name" for those blanks right now as we haven't released them. Usually all these go straight into rods and we rarely have blanks in stock.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    One that we have made for the EXPERT line. Don't really have a "name" for those blanks right now as we haven't released them. Usually all these go straight into rods and we rarely have blanks in stock.
    I'll take one!

5. Member
    I throw a lot of 5/8 and 3/4 oz. football heads here on Table Rock.. I like the Denali lithium 884.

In your price range, The Tackle Trap has both the Extreme Mission Type F and the Flipping Special on sale for $199 shipped.

For a full 3/4 oz foot ball jig with a big trailer, the Flipping Special would be my choice. It has the length for moving line at the end of a long hook set, and the backbone to drive the hook home. Even though it's called a "flipping" rod, it's extremely versatile and makes an absolutely fantastic 3/4 oz to 1 oz foot ball jig rod. It also handles a wide range of swim baits well too. Great rod, great deal at The Tackle Trap!

7. Member
    I would definitely look at the ALX rods in wither the expert series or the zolo dragger or zolo brawler. You can also call ALX and talk to Alex and recieve the beat customer aervice in the industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jmcarriere View Post
    I would definitely look at the ALX rods in wither the expert series or the zolo dragger or zolo brawler. You can also call ALX and talk to Alex and recieve the beat customer aervice in the industry
    Thanks for the compliment!

I second the dx 745

10. Banned
    Two good suggestions there. If you are fishing grass I would substitute a Perfect Pitch for the Extreme Mission Type F.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    In your price range, The Tackle Trap has both the Extreme Mission Type F and the Flipping Special on sale for $199 shipped.

For a full 3/4 oz foot ball jig with a big trailer, the Flipping Special would be my choice. It has the length for moving line at the end of a long hook set, and the backbone to drive the hook home. Even though it's called a "flipping" rod, it's extremely versatile and makes an absolutely fantastic 3/4 oz to 1 oz foot ball jig rod. It also handles a wide range of swim baits well too. Great rod, great deal at The Tackle Trap!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnBasser View Post
    i second this. I use the 7’3” Helium 3 as well. Great stick.
    Kistler Z-bone 7'3" medium heavy. They are a bit pricey, Unbelievable sensitivity. Helium and klx would great choices as well.

12. Member
    For jigs I use the Denali N2 884WJ in 7’ MH and 7’ H models.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

13. Member
    I went out with five rods the other day and did exactly this with a three quarter ounce jig with trailer to get the feel of which two rods I mainly wanted to use.
    Findings 1st to 5th. Granted there is a price difference but could go used on top 3 to get to your price point.
    K2 765
    Nrx 894
    St croix Xtreme 7'4 H (wish had smaller guides)
    Alpha anglers zilla
    Alx dragger

I will say if you step up to a one ounce jig though the order will change.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

14. Member
    I have an Extreme Mission and bought it for 3/4 oz fb jigs. I hate it. Not nearly enough backbone for me. The best feeling fb jig rod to me is a Powell 714cef as far as action goes, but it's too short for my liking. I have went through 20 or so rods looking for the perfect 3/4 oz fb jig rod and haven't found it yet. Best I've found is a Dobyns extreme 784. I haven't used the 745, but it's next on my list.

15. Member
    I think JDS makes a great point about backbone as it depends if sensitivity or backbone is more important to you and also the bottom composition plays a big factor as for me when I'm throwing it around gravel and Rock backbone is more important than sensitivity because rocks and gravel are easy to feel however if I am throwing it around soft bottom and sparse cover sensitivity is more important since it is a lot much easier and less to feel. Also when throwing around Rock The Jig hangs up more often and therefore you need a little more backbone to pop it out effectively. In that case I would like to go one power higher and it would impact the order I put them on that list as that list had to do more with sensitivity on soft bottom than with in Rocky structure or heavier cover.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

16. Member
    This is what I use and love it.
    Daiwa Tatula Baitcast Fishing Rod 7' 6" Heavy Flipping - TAT761HFB
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Quote Originally Posted by JDS723 View Post
    I have an Extreme Mission and bought it for 3/4 oz fb jigs. I hate it. Not nearly enough backbone for me. The best feeling fb jig rod to me is a Powell 714cef as far as action goes, but it's too short for my liking. I have went through 20 or so rods looking for the perfect 3/4 oz fb jig rod and haven't found it yet. Best I've found is a Dobyns extreme 784. I haven't used the 745, but it's next on my list.
    The XX Extreme Mission is overloaded with a 3/4 oz FB jig, so it's no wonder you didn't like it for that application. A 1/2 oz FB jig works well on that rod, but that's it's top end. The Flipping Special is a much better 3/4 oz and 1 oz FB jig rod in the XX series.

If you're looking for as close to a "perfect" 3/4 oz FB jig rod, the NRX 894c JWR is worth a look. The Megabass Destroyer Valdiva is also worth a look too, it's an extremely impressive bigger jig/deep water jig rod in general.

Megabass Hyuga 72H or Orochi XX Tour Versatile are my two favorite Jig rods hands down.

19. Member
    Power Tackles Football jig special and will also handle 1 oz as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12