ULTERRA GEN 1 VS. GEN 2 , SPOT LOCK

Hoping someone has had both and can verify that the newer version has a much improved anchor or spot lock.

I have a Riptide Ulterra that I purchased in 2016. It does not have Bluetooth or the ability to add the heading sensor.

I spoke via. email with MK and they informed me that I would not be able to upgrade mine. So , lots of $$ to get a
    Gen. 2.

I use the motor for both salt & fresh water so that is why I chose the Riptide and have been pleased with everything
    but the spot lock , not even close to what was expected. Wanders all over the place trying to acquire the original fix
    and most likely never finds it.

So , if you have had both , does the new one take care of the problem and meet your expectations or is it more wishful
    thinking from MK ?

Thanks

2. Member
    I just upgraded from an older Terrova (same spot lock as the same gen Ulterra) to a bluetooth Ulterra last week. The spot lock is night and day. The last one was a constant disappointment. The bluetooth one will hold the spot right on the dot. I haven't even installed the heading sensor yet since I need to build a mount for it.

The other big thing that I didn't expect is that the turning and motor noise is significantly lower. Dramatically quieter.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    Thanks Marshfly !! That's what I wanted to hear . Glad to hear the noise level has been addressed. It wasn't a deal
    breaker but certainly annoying.

4. Member
    Had the gen 1 ulterra non Bluetooth and spot lock was 15-20 ft radius.

Updated and now have the new gen 2 w Bluetooth. It is 3-5 ft radius. A meaningful improvement.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Had the gen 1 ulterra non Bluetooth and spot lock was 15-20 ft radius.

Updated and now have the new gen 2 w Bluetooth. It is 3-5 ft radius. A meaningful improvement.
    Thanks , mine reminds me of a cat chasing it's tail. If I'm in the salt water and the tide is strong , you just
    have to hang on , thank god for a foot pedal.

6. Member
    Yes, that goes away completely with the Bluetooth version. I waited a year to upgrade for some dumb reason. The money was well spent.

BTW, International Marine has reman Bluetooth Ulterra models in stock for about the same price as the Terrova. My 36v 60" one was $1900. I bought one last week and was able to next day ship it for a $35 charge.

7. Member
    Thanks , I'll check them out.

8. Member
    I have the non-BT Ulterra and the spot lock is terrible. Spent a lot of $$$ on this in 2016. At one point Minn Kota was selling the components from the BT versions so you upgrade the older versions (new head, BT sensor puck, new remote) reportedly for around $400. Can anyone confirm whether this is still an option for us 1st Gen Ulterra owners?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

9. Member
    And assuming it’s not, can anyone provide any recommendations as to who has the best price on a new 72” 36V 112Lb Ulterra (1358933)?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

Jones trolling motor or Russel marine.
    Both sponsors with great service.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

11. Member
    I bought a Reman 60" 35v Ulterra for a great price from International Marine about a month and a half ago. If any of our sponsors still has any of the reman units, that will be your best price by far.

I think BBG marine has some remanufactured trolling motors.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I just upgraded from an older Terrova (same spot lock as the same gen Ulterra) to a bluetooth Ulterra last week. The spot lock is night and day. The last one was a constant disappointment. The bluetooth one will hold the spot right on the dot. I haven't even installed the heading sensor yet since I need to build a mount for it.

The other big thing that I didn't expect is that the turning and motor noise is significantly lower. Dramatically quieter.

I put my heading sensor on a piece of aluminum then bolted that under the bow to the front eye inside the hull, so I never had to see it or touch it again! worked great.

if you have to re pair the unit though for some reason youd have to open the panel to get to it. but just a fyi it only need to be pointing the right way, not level, not line of sight nothing.

14. Member
    I purchased a new Riptide Ulterra with BT from Jones Trolling Motor. Replaced my 2016 Ulterra. Price was in line with anybody else and I researched it pretty hard.

Best part is that I was able to call John , discuss it and get valuable input / information. Shipping was very fast. Feel like I can get a
    a good resolve if it has a problem. Highly recommend his company.

Would rather pick up the phone and talk to John as try to deal with a box store or MK.