Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    BCB:

My alloy comment came from the merc racing web page which said "X7".

And you are more than right about the hole shot. I'm pretty sure that 28p prop would not get on plane in my boat if I had anything more than me and my son in the boat. We often have three of us in there (add a son-in-law). My fury 26 has no problem whatsoever and still runs 73-74 with all of us when it is cold and the water is not like glass. For a thousand bucks, thanks but no thanks. :)

If you go to the merc racing web page, you might get a chuckle, in that they talk about it being used on bass boats, excellent hole shot, etc. I can only speak for my 200 pro xs, but excellent hole shot was NOT in the discussion. You are right, it does look like the old cleaver drag props where the trailing edge is cut pretty square to the end of the hub, no rake at all beyond that point.

I'd bet that if you put one of these on a 21' ranger, you could put a thousand horse motor on the back and it would not get it up out of the water.

I'm reasonably convinced that the chopper style (and cleaver style) are not going to be so effective on today's boats. Too heavy. Three batteries in the rear, big gas tank, bloated motor weight compared to the 2.5 two strokes. But it was an interesting test.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You are correct, though many of the ET's are older than today's X7 alloy.

3. Member
    This was also the first one I have seen that was polished rather than the usual racing finish that is satin. Thing was new in the box, said "lab finished" which is why I presume it sold for a grand. But calling the thing "single purpose" (top end) is really being unkind to "single purpose". I still have my old small eared chopper 28. But that was the most load-sensitive prop I have ever seen. Add my 250+ lb brother-in-law and speed of my old astro dropped from 85 to 60-65 with gross slip. Have yet to run it on my classic, just was not a good overall prop. Good for blistering up and down the river years ago, but not much else.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Update... I may have figured out the problem.

I took her back the the dealer i purchased the boat from to see if they could figure out what was wrong. The tech there immediately noticed that the throttle postion sensor was way out of range (over extended). In layman's terms when i floored the hotfoot I was not only flooding the cylinders with too much fuel, but because engine timing is controlled by the throttle position the sensor it was telling the engine to slow down. Due to our weather the past week I wasn't able to take it out and run it to confirm this was the issue, but the tech was extremely confident that was my problem. He apologized big time and said it definetly should have checked/adjusted before it left the dealership.

On a side note...when we pulled the diagnostics off the engine i noted that indeed the engine had turned 5,800 rpm as the local dealer claimed. I asked the tech how is it possible they could get the engine to turn 5,800 rpm and i could only get 5,200? Per the tech with the throttle position sensor being so far out of adjustment 5,800 rpm could only achieved 2 ways; 1) with the engine over trimmed ( I tried that myself and even with the jp way too high it wouldn't turn more than 5,200), or 2) with a pair of muffs on and the engine out of the water it was put in gear and run up to 5,800. This explanation makes sense given their claim of 62mph @5,800 rpm, when I got 66mph at 5,200 rpm with the same prop and no changes in the jp. I wont know for sure until I run it myself but the local dealer is going to get a HUGE piece of my mind if she runs correctly and I come to the conclusion he put muffs on my brand new engine and ran it up to 5,800rpm.
    To say I'm not happy camper about the local guy is an understatement...
    Last edited by ChrisS22; 12-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12