Thread: Jump starters

Jump starters

Can you use a jump starter on a 225 pro xs? Had a battery go out this weekend and had a very hard time jumping it off with cables. Was wondering if a jump starter would work. Getting one of the recommended batteries to replace the old one.

Thanks
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

I have-- but even with the largest jump box available it was all it could do to fire the 3.2 ltr.
    Just for the record I have carried a set of jumper cables in my boats for years -- had always been able to start the older motors from a trolling battery if needed.. NOT this 300 !!!!!!

3. Banned
    get a Tournament Saver Pro and you will not have anymore issues

http://tournamentsaverpro.com this is all you will need.
    Last edited by Phisherman; 11-27-2017 at 04:26 PM.

4. Member
    Ill check that out. Yea , the cables are useless unless you are jumping somebody else off.

I have a small lithium jumper, it turns over flat dead optimax 250 pro xs 4 times in an evening, and still said 100% battery, charged an I phone with it for an hour and it was down to 75% which is where they say to recharge it. And when I'm saying flat dead I'm saying the motor didn't turn more than one time... and I kept fishing after words jump again and again

yes that battery was now replaced cause I killed it. But I have faith! Also the pack is about 2 pounds... and has no negatives with sonar performance, yes you can get the interferance worked out if you do get it. But I don't see the point. And this was like 65$ on Amazon
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A jump starter pack is just a battery and charger in a package. Better ones usually use a lithium battery because they have higher power density, but you also see them with AGMs.

So jumping with a booster pack or a battery is the same thing. Either way, jumping doesn’t always work. Battery condition, clamp quality, jumper cable quality and boosting battery condition all affect the power that can get to the starter.

Chances are if a good battery with good cables couldn’t start the motor, a booster pack wouldn’t have done it either.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Thanks for the input.
    Fishysam, what brand and model do you have. May get one at least for the car.

thanks again

This is the little junker that seriously has worked! I saw while googling it there is one about twice the size for 99$ online. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/red...iABEgLJlvD_BwE

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    This is the little junker that seriously has worked! I saw while googling it there is one about twice the size for 99$ online. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/red...iABEgLJlvD_BwE
    Does something that small seriously have the power to jump start a 250 Pro XS ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-28-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Announcements
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    FWIW I have a Noco Genius GB40. Somebody with deeper pockets could have a GB70 with even more power. Packs a larger punch for the CCA needed for our big motors. While a little more spendy it is quality and will last a long time I'm hoping. Can turn over my 250 ProXS with ease, I could easily jump start quite a few boat motors on a single charge. I carry it with me in the boat for "just in case", or if anyone else is dead in the water that needs a jump. Great tool to have in the boat.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A jump starter pack is just a battery and charger in a package. Better ones usually use a lithium battery because they have higher power density, but you also see them with AGMs.

So jumping with a booster pack or a battery is the same thing. Either way, jumping doesn’t always work. Battery condition, clamp quality, jumper cable quality and boosting battery condition all affect the power that can get to the starter.

Chances are if a good battery with good cables couldn’t start the motor, a booster pack wouldn’t have done it either.
    Right on.

The BOOK ANSWER: Don't. Connect a properly rated, GOOD battery, and then start.

The Reality: When stranded on the water, you'll do what you need to to get home.

Just remember that a "jump pack" is not a replacement for a battery- and it's not a "get me on the water for today" thing. It is an emergency "get me going so I can get HOME" device.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    The SL1 on Amazon for $79 with case is a beast and will start bigger engines surprisingly well, hope this helps. It also charges iPhones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Does something that small seriously have the power to jump start a 250 Pro XS ?
    Serioulsy does! Hook up to battery, turn on, press jump, red light will turn green when it's ready. Kinda seams like a difibulator. I fish relatively small body's of water and have fished 12 hours with 3 units running and killed the cranking battery to the point were it only would turn over twice before quitting. It was at that point where we hooked it up and it took right off to buzz 50 seconds down the lake. Fish another hour and battery was showing 9.8v on the bow unit. (Only unit on now) and it started it a few more time that night.

If if I were on bigger water I would buy a bigger one of the same style!

Jumper cables failed me last year, we ended up taking the tm jumpers and paralleling the cranking battery and jumping another battery as well and that barely got it started. The jumper pack made us laugh how well it turned over the 250 pro xs

16. Member
    check them out - my bud in TX told me about the JS 18 and its been great for him, i am pretty sure Mr Claus will be delivering the 44 on xmas day to my house
    https://myweego.com/product/professional-js18/
    https://myweego.com/product/weego-44/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post

I picked this exact one up at Lowes for like $69.
    2017 Ford F-350 Platinum
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP Yamaha 250SHO

I'm getting this one for Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/PowerUrus/b/r...-bin=PowerUrus

The one I've been keeping on the boat is a 600A and wouldn't even get a 90HP and a 150 ProXS started.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.