Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of line are you using?

I've always used light mono for crappie fishing and have tried several different brands and colors over the years. Currently using BPS yellow and can't see that it makes any difference to the fish but sure helps me out because as I get older it's tougher to see the line. Would like to hear what some of you are using and why you use it.

2. Member
    I use Suffix hi-vis yellow 6 or 8 lb.

3. Member
    Hi-Vis Mr Crappie or Crappie Maxx. 4 and 6 lb test. 90% 4 lb. Considering 2 lb in some cases where I want more distance for some 1/48 jigs. Thought about trying another brand but still have a lot of this left. No problems, just thought of a switch.

Hi-Vis Crappie Maxx 6lb on my jigging poles and on a few shorter poles I use for casting the banks in the spring I use 20lb braid w/ 6lb leader.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-o View Post
    Hi-Vis Crappie Maxx 6lb on my jigging poles and on a few shorter poles I use for casting the banks in the spring I use 20lb braid w/ 6lb leader.
    Are you trying to reduce the effect of line twist by using braid? I'm using Hi-vis Crappie Max now and if line twist becomes an issue I just change it out. For the most part I'm trying to sit over the top of a brush pile so twist isn't much of a problem but when casting during the spring it can be. Experiencing a lake turnover right now so fishing sucks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    Are you trying to reduce the effect of line twist by using braid?
    No, I fish shiners near a lot of fallen trees in 5ft of water or less with a slip bobber in the spring. The leader is joined to braid with a swivel and only 8 to 10in long so if I get hung up I can break the leader and not have to go in and spook the fish nor lose anything from the swivel on up. It saves time of completely re-rigging so I get back to fishing quicker. One spot we fish is so thick I actually tie up a dozen hooks on 10in leaders before we leave so I'll have one ready to replace in a snap.

7. Member
    I use 5 lb hi vis power pro for verticle jigging and 6lb clear crystal fireline for casting. I will be testing the new berkley ultra in 4 lb test for both applications next year.

8. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Kastking Copolymer - strong stuff, not a lot of stretch. Usually 6 or 8lb, 17lb on my punching rig..
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

9. Member
    4# test hi-vis Mr. Crappie. I cast 1/32 and 1/24 jigs using the G Loomis 661 or 6400 rods.

Great casting set up and tight line the jigs.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    4# test hi-vis Mr. Crappie. I cast 1/32 and 1/24 jigs using the G Loomis 661 or 6400 rods.

Great casting set up and tight line the jigs.
    Best crappie mono line out there and perfect match for those rods.

11. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Mr. Crappie but im considering switching to Bonehead.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    15lb Power Pro Slick hi-Vis Yellow with a 12lb Seguar Red Label leader.

I got tired of breaking off big bass and catfish. Bass to 9lbs and a flathead catfish to 26lbs on this combination.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    I use 15lb Power Pro Slick hi-Vis Yellow, and a 6lb leader of fluorocarbon on rods with slip bobbers, or tight lining, or casting. I use mono on my spider rig poles.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-o View Post
    I looked at the crappie max saturday at BPS. I have been using MR. CRAPPIE for years but get tired of the memory. Do you have any complaints on the crappie maxx?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    I looked at the crappie max saturday at BPS. I have been using MR. CRAPPIE for years but get tired of the memory. Do you have any complaints on the crappie maxx?
    My experience is that Crappie Maxx is no different than any other mono, it will twist. When it happens I usually just spool some new on when I get home. Thinking seriously about trying some 4 or 6 lb Fireline in Flame Green.

I use the yellow 'Mr Crappie' 6#. On a couple I have Sufix 832 with a short mono leader but I'm not convinced it makes a difference. I like the yellow color so I can see the line better. Many times I see the line jump before I feel the tap. I thought the braid would help. Need more testing.

As far as the twist goes, it's usually from my jig tail not being straight. I just cut it off and let the line trail out behind the boat for a couple seconds. Adjust the grub and retie.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 12-12-2017 at 08:25 AM.

I don't have a problem with twist because I usually only have 10ft out jigging some tops. If casting the banks in the spring its braid with a 12in mono leader. I have a few short spinning rods rigged with Cajun Red line that seems to cast pretty good also but the temps here are generally warm to HOT so I think that helps a lot.

18. Member
    Years ago i used Anco Silver thread mono as it was really supple and had virtually no line memory. I moved to the Mr Crappie line as it was really cheap but it will retain some memory. 12 years ago or so i moved on to the super lines and have not looked back. I did order some Seaguer Finesse line in 5.2 to try on a couple reels for clear water fishing. I will report back after this spring on it's value compared to 5 lb power pro, 6 lb crystal, and 6 pound Ultra crystal super lines. Casting or vertical i do not experience much line twist unless the plastic body lure gets twisted on the hook somehow, a drop of super glue usually prevents this. My buddies all use swivels but in my opinion it departs the action of the bait somewhat, i tie directly to the jig head with a loop knot.

19. Member
    Izorline xxx copolymer 4lb, use both the golden green and clear

Mr Crappie 6 lb Hi-Vis , I spray it with KVD Line Conditioner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast