Etec 250 HO lower unit

I have read a bunch about how the L2 is prone to failure with the larger HO motors and that the M2 is durable but slow and unresponsive. Most of the posts I have read are older though and I am wondering if Evinrude or anyone has come up with a good answer for this problem or is M2 still the only thing out there?

2. Member
    Considering the G1 have not been made for a few years and the fact that the L2 was not made (or at least) fitted to the big blocks for years before that I doubt BRP have been working on it much. The benefit of the M2 back in the day was more the low water pick-ups than anything to do with pinion failures-yes i am sure L2 boxes around the world did have failures like that(I have only seen 1 on a race boat down here fail) but the M2 allows higher running set-ups without losing WP and quickly killing powerheads.

The answer to your question is the G2 with SLX gearcase, it has the strength of the M2 with the hydo drag of the L2. I would not be holding my breath to see BRP come out with say an L3 or the like.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You may give up a couple MPH on top end with the M2 case as it has a bigger profile in the water thus a bigger hole is punched. It responds just fine to throttle, the issues with the L2 came from go fast boaters ran them at surfacing heights.